Other Is it a double play

mary1334

Addicted to Softballfans
Today in a GSL tournament there was a call made and I am not sure if it was right.

Base are loaded with NO outs. The defense is playing a 5 man infield. The batter hits the ball up the middle. The middle fielder fields the ball touches the guy standing on second base then touches second base.

The umpire only called the guy coming to second base out. The guy on second base than ran to third. He said the guy standing on second that was touched was safe.

Is this the right call?

If this was the wrong call can you please show me where in the rules it states what should have been called?

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
I can tell you that it is the wrong call as long as the runner originally on second was tagged before the runner coming from first was retired.

I can also tell you that I am too lazy at the moment to look up the citation for you. Someone here will surely take care of that part for ya.

Illegal pitcher

The Veteran
FORCE OUT: Is an out which may be made only when a runner loses the right to the
base that the runner is occupying because the batter becomes a batter-runner,
and before the batter-runner or a trailing runner has been put out.

Section 7. THE RUNNER IS OUT.
C. When, on a force play, a fielder contacts the base while holding the ball, or
tags the runner before the runner reaches the base.
If the forced runner,
after touching the next base, retreats for any reason towards the base first
occupied, the force play is reinstated and the runner may again be put out
if the defense tags the runner or the base to which the runner is forced.

mary1334

Addicted to Softballfans
The umpire was saying that it was not a force because nothing was done with the ball yet. After the fielder retrieved the ball it was not a force. He was saying that until the fielder does something with the ball making it a force, it has not yet been determined to be a force play.

After the game we were still talking to him about it because we knew it was the wrong call. He went over to the other field and asked another umpire and he agreed with his call.

They both were saying also that a base is a safe haven. He was not out because he was standing on a safe zone.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
The umpire was saying that it was not a force because nothing was done with the ball yet. After the fielder retrieved the ball it was not a force. He was saying that until the fielder does something with the ball making it a force, it has not yet been determined to be a force play.

After the game we were still talking to him about it because we knew it was the wrong call. He went over to the other field and asked another umpire and he agreed with his call.

They both were saying also that a base is a safe haven. He was not out because he was standing on a safe zone.

How did the protest work out?

eastonman

Addicted to Softballfans
If he tags the runner on second first then tags the 2nd base bag then it is a doule play and if he would have thrown to first before batter reached first then that's what you call a triple play. I witnessed this play today,basesloaded hard shot hit to 3rd baseman playing close to the bag he catches ball tags runner on third steps on third then throws to second for the triple play. If he tags 3rd base first then runner on third doesn't have to run cause third base is a open base for him to stay.

mary1334

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with you guys completely I thought the same thing
this umpire would not listen and did not agree

he kept saying the runner did not have to advance

I do not understand how "there was not a force yet because he was still on the bag"
this was what the umpire said

also that the bag is a "safe haven"

spos21ram

The Legend
And if you protest, the umpires will find out they are wrong. Right now they probably still think they made the right call. You should bring this up to the LD so he can tell his umpires what the correct ruling is.

MaverickAH

Whenever I read of an umpire getting such a basic principle of the game wrong, the first question that always comes to my mind is, "Were these sanctioned umpires?"

I'm betting that the answer is, NO. The fact that two umpires got it wrong only strengthens my belief.

I don't know anything about GSL but any truly sanctioned tourney should have a UIC & inspectors going around observing umpires.

spos21ram

The Legend
Whenever I read of an umpire getting such a basic principle of the game wrong, the first question that always comes to my mind is, "Were these sanctioned umpires?"

I'm betting that the answer is, NO. The fact that two umpires got it wrong only strengthens my belief.

I don't know anything about GSL but any truly sanctioned tourney should have a UIC & inspectors going around observing umpires.

I agree. There is no excuse for this poor level of umpiring in a sanctioned event. I know umps are hard to come by sometimes, but it's the UIC's job to get his crew up to speed.

mary1334

Addicted to Softballfans
We never told the umpire his call was wrong. We simply questioned the call asking why he made the call he did. As I said before his whole thought is that when u are standing on a base you are safe and cannot be tagged out.

Before this happened the umpire seemed to be very thorough and knew what he was talking about. I was impressed with his work and how he interacted with the game.
This was my first GSL experience.

The umpires in the leagues where I live are terrible and they do not know the game. Also there is a league where a player on one of the teams is allowed to umpire games. I am very upset for the league allowing this. There are a lot of questionable things like this that leagues allow to happen.

For this reason, the GSL was better than what I am use to. We have umpires who stand on the right side behind the plate and try to make a foul call for a ball on the left side. Most umpires do not care and just want easy money.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree. There is no excuse for this poor level of umpiring in a sanctioned event. I know umps are hard to come by sometimes, but it's the UIC's job to get his crew up to speed.

A UIC can only lead the umpires to water, cannot make them drink it.