Is softball changing and falling because.....

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
A-Some of the guys who have taken what was once a recreational hobby into something serious. They shell out thousands a year in tourney and league fees, travel, bats, equpment, etc and all group together and sandbag to beat on unsuspecting guys who treat the game as a recreational hobby and walk the ballpark like they have celebrity status because they play on a tourney team with a .400 winning %

B-The guys who still see the game as a recreational hobby and fail to realize the game has expanded and grown. You have more options than 33 oz bomb bats and no longer use white .52 core balls for game play. These guys constantly come out every week and get beat on because they fail to update then complain about all the good teams and end up quitting.

C-The guys that are composite heroes. The ones that were minimally talented to average ball players, but with the new technology they get on the weights then hit a home run with a $300 bat and act like complete DB's because they can mash and hit bombs. They buy fancy pants and in their mind they are god's gift to softball, and in their minds are great, but in reality they're a marginal player.

In my mind its probably a mix but still group A seems to be the biggest issue and group C is the most annoying. Thoughts?

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
more douchebags have entered the game

People used to be more humble. Now alot of young kids who flamed out of high school or junior college ball coming to the field with guys twice their age and acting like raging ****heads

Pdpwally

Coach
i feel like you fall under option b... i myself lend to an option c marginal player who relies on tech... but i dont get all hyped when i hit a hr with the newest hottest bat.

Joker

i remember watching my dad play on a team that had an 109 year old guy pitching. he got a ball hit right back at his face, caught it and moved on. no one screamed "middle's open" or started running their mouths

hell when i first started playing about 12 years ago the only real time we had issues with another team was when there was a major issue, a late dirty take out slide or something like that. now if you look at a guy he puffs out his chest and threatens bodily harm

-Six-

Weiner
i have fancy bats. i can go yard on command and i have fancy pants. im as likely to pretend to hump your leg as i am to slap your ass after you score. always laughing at you at me at my teammate who just swung-n-bunted.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
People used to be more humble. Now alot of young kids who flamed out of high school or junior college ball coming to the field with guys twice their age and acting like raging ****heads

And when they lose they just slide farther and farther down until they can settle into a league tourney where they can win and act like raging ****heads again. That runs off all the people that just want to play recreationally.

I consider myself a decent hitter, but because I purchase a $300 bat and have cool clothes, it's wrong for me to drop bombs?... lol jk I'm playing around... I will continue to try to stay on top of the most current products and tools to play the game on an equal level though. Why choose to play with gear that is not current.

I feel like the guys out there reminiscing about the good times, need to remember it's an ever changing game, unfortunately it all changes. As a young guy to the sport, the only thing I have ever seen or witnessed was guys with 4 or 5 $300 bats in their bag, great gloves, crazy color uniforms and bat flips and boowhops... what do you expect from the up and comers. I've played on teams with hot pink, teams with lime green, and neon orange. None of these things have changed my ability to play the game, only the attitudes and drama. For me sometimes the farther the ball goes, the farther I want to hit it just how it goes. Literally the homerun, is my favorite part of this sport. Call me shallow, call me young and dumb, but don't take away the fun of hitting the ball as hard and as far as I possibly can. lol.

Joker

And when they lose they just slide farther and farther down until they can settle into a league tourney where they can win and act like raging ****heads again. That runs off all the people that just want to play recreationally.

sandbagging falls into the douchebag category

i have fancy bats. i can go yard on command and i have fancy pants. im as likely to pretend to hump your leg as i am to slap your ass after you score. always laughing at you at me at my teammate who just swung-n-bunted.

we'd be on the same team, gotta have real thick skin to play with me cause nobody is exempt

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know, I was just showing how the douchebags run off the rec guys, and not the good sports that take the game seriously.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
Too many roided out wanna-be junior college sport failure drama queens with their crazy full unis and golf visors (to not mess up their spiked highlighed hair) who take a recreational sport way too seriously.They might as well be in professional wrestling.

andyschwing

Schwing batter batter!
I consider myself a decent hitter, but because I purchase a $300 bat and have cool clothes, it's wrong for me to drop bombs?... lol jk I'm playing around... I will continue to try to stay on top of the most current products and tools to play the game on an equal level though. Why choose to play with gear that is not current.

I feel like the guys out there reminiscing about the good times, need to remember it's an ever changing game, unfortunately it all changes. As a young guy to the sport, the only thing I have ever seen or witnessed was guys with 4 or 5 $300 bats in their bag, great gloves, crazy color uniforms and bat flips and boowhops... what do you expect from the up and comers. I've played on teams with hot pink, teams with lime green, and neon orange. None of these things have changed my ability to play the game, only the attitudes and drama. For me sometimes the farther the ball goes, the farther I want to hit it just how it goes. Literally the homerun, is my favorite part of this sport. Call me shallow, call me young and dumb, but don't take away the fun of hitting the ball as hard and as far as I possibly can. lol.

I agree with this guy. I put my time in the weight room too though. I have to as I'm 5'8" 175 lbs. I live for the long ball but I put the work in to attain it. I use the same bats as fellas much bigger than me that can't mash. I am very humble until your team starts being douchy; then I'll make some noise after I crush another one!

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
They shell out thousands a year in tourney and league fees, travel, bats, equpment, etc and all group together and sandbag to beat on unsuspecting guys who treat the game as a recreational hobby and walk the ballpark like they have celebrity status because they play on a tourney team with a .400 winning %

B-The guys who still see the game as a recreational hobby and fail to realize the game has expanded and grown. You have more options than 33 oz bomb bats and no longer use white .52 core balls for game play. These guys constantly come out every week and get beat on because they fail to update then complain about all the good teams and end up quitting.

C-The guys that are composite heroes. The ones that were minimally talented to average ball players, but with the new technology they get on the weights then hit a home run with a $300 bat and act like complete DB's because they can mash and hit bombs. They buy fancy pants and in their mind they are god's gift to softball, and in their minds are great, but in reality they're a marginal player.

In my mind its probably a mix but still group A seems to be the biggest issue and group C is the most annoying. Thoughts?
Bolded for obvious reasons:mod: Forgot they put on full Boombahs to do BP then go back to the bar to be celebs and talk about the tourny team drama

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
g1336598681588985733.jpg

I agree with this guy. I put my time in the weight room too though. I have to as I'm 5'8" 175 lbs. I live for the long ball but I put the work in to attain it. I use the same bats as fellas much bigger than me that can't mash. I am very humble until your team starts being douchy; then I'll make some noise after I crush another one!

this is what is ruining sports in general...trash talking is why i stopped playing basketball after high school and it's the one thing i let my teammates know i will not tolerate, ever...you did the right thing, you let your game speak for you, don't ruin it by running your mouth

let the other team run their mouth, shows they are classless clowns, don't stoop to their level and say anything back, especially if you just scored on them, that is what talks for you

all that being said, i think teams can joke with eachother and having fun is part of the game, but there's always the guy that doesn't understand jokeing and having fun and ruins it with some dumb comment

i always bust my teams balls and they do it to me, it's why i go out, i'm having fun with my friends...we do it when we're up 10 and we do it when we're down 10

-Six-

Weiner

fight douchey with douchey. sounds just about right.

eye black or no?

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
i feel like you fall under option b... i myself lend to an option c marginal player who relies on tech... but i dont get all hyped when i hit a hr with the newest hottest bat.

I don't feel like I fall under any of the 3. I'm just a good ol boy. Ive been nagged at for drinking too much by guys from group A to be part of that group. I'm just there to have fun. I'm not old enough to be in group B and actually prefer to hang out with those mindset guys. And I don't care enough to be in group C. In ASA i'm still swinging a 30 oz miken maniac I bought off a buddy for $50. I hit my first home run with my dad's demarini doublewall in a church league in 2006. I don't understand why people spend so much on bats. If you can hit you can hit.

i remember watching my dad play on a team that had an 109 year old guy pitching. he got a ball hit right back at his face, caught it and moved on. no one screamed "middle's open" or started running their mouths

hell when i first started playing about 12 years ago the only real time we had issues with another team was when there was a major issue, a late dirty take out slide or something like that. now if you look at a guy he puffs out his chest and threatens bodily harm

I remember my dad who was a big strong dude mashing but with a 32 oz bat that sounded like sheet metal when hit. He was done playing before composite came out.

Last year in league ball our #10 hitter hit an 72 hopper back through the middle and DB shortstop yells middles open. I was like are you serious?

What happened to just getting away from the wife and kids for a few hours and having fun?:D

I loved the home run (past tense) back when you could say dude could play or that was a shot. Not now when guys are coming out who are 120 lbs soaking wet wearing combat bats and swing like the bats a fly swatter and the ball going out. I would love to play in a wood bat unlimited homer league

I've seen guys your size and guys 3 to 4 inches taller than me or about 20 more pounds than me literally blast moonshots! I'm a big guy, it's to the point where it's almost expected that I only hit them, or if they pick me up it's assumed that only I will hit pop up's, if it's not over the fence. It's total BS.

-Six-

Weiner
I've seen guys your size and guys 3 to 4 inches taller than me or about 20 more pounds than me literally blast moonshots! I'm a big guy, it's to the point where it's almost expected that I only hit them, or if they pick me up it's assumed that only I will hit pop up's, if it's not over the fence. It's total BS.

i have no idea what you are trying to say here. You get picked up because you are so massive and are expected to only hit hrs. isnt that what you just said is all you try to do?

ALB_Bones

Philippians 4:13

X2...............

You're right... but is it worse a guy my size at 6'2, 300 hits one with a new bat... I mean the guys that are named on these bats are all about the same size... at least the top level "HR" players 6'2, 250... monsters. Larsen is a beast, Filby's a little too big, DC is big, Wegman is scary looking, and Helmer and Hall are all also monsters. So...what are we supposed to do. There's a weird physical make up of players these days, sometimes you just don't know who has the raw power and talent...so I simply watch as much as I can to see who's really hitting the ball.

sosa2314

Laser show
I pay the D-bags no mind. I have a good time with my friends. Am I a decent player? I like to think so. Do I have all the aforementioned gear? Yep. I love the sport. More over I love having a good time with good people. Its a game though, and so many people loose sight of that.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Bolded for obvious reasons:mod: Forgot they put on full Boombahs to do BP then go back to the bar to be celebs and talk about the tourny team drama

Uh, yea we played this big tourney at "insert name of big park in your area here" and made it into sunday. Were kind of a big deal:rolleyes: