USSSA Is there a specific time foul ball is called

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う
Batter hits a pop fly foul but not out of play. Should I even announce it, when if so? :confused:

I haven't ordered my umpire mechanics yet :(

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Batter hits a pop fly foul but not out of play. Should I even announce it, when if so? :confused:

I haven't ordered my umpire mechanics yet :(

If everyone could clearly see it was foul, I would make the signal (dead ball) and nothing more.

If it goes completely out of play, I'd signal nothing at all. There's no need.

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う
Awesome...thanks. I love the quick answers I get here. Even after I searched. I posted the foultip conversation on our league website, talked to the UIC and I still had to explain the foultip/caught flyball situation.
This place is an awesome source for information. Thanks

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Yup. Until it hits something (player, ground, fence, etc), it's simply a batted ball. Once it lands or is touched, call it foul or simply signal it as NCASAUmp said.

I definitely should have mentioned this, and I appreciate you bringing this up.

All too often, newer umpires get "jumpy" about calling foul balls. It's like they feel the need to make the call right away, sometimes before the ball has gone out of play or before it's hit the ground. They then have some explaining to do when the fielder actually dives and makes the catch, or a breeze blows the ball back into play.

The key: always wait until something has actually made the ball meet the definition of a foul ball.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Awesome...thanks. I love the quick answers I get here. Even after I searched. I posted the foultip conversation on our league website, talked to the UIC and I still had to explain the foultip/caught flyball situation.
This place is an awesome source for information. Thanks

Yeah, we've done this a while. :D

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans

All too often, newer umpires get "jumpy" about calling foul balls. It's like they feel the need to make the call right away, sometimes before the ball has gone out of play or before it's hit the ground. They then have some explaining to do when the fielder actually dives and makes the catch, or a breeze blows the ball back into play.

The key: always wait until something has actually made the ball meet the definition of a foul ball.

I see that all the time, even with umps that have been around a while. I have never seen one get the call wrong doing it but I thing every time that they called it foul before it is actually foul. Even ones that are obvious are not foul when they are still in the air. I of course never say anything because it doesn't really matter.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Had an umpire in my fastpitch game last night that was "too quick" on foul calls. It didn't bite him in the butt, but it very well could have.

For example, batter bunts and the ball is rolling up the first base line, maybe about 20 feet from home plate and still moving at a pretty good clip, but in foul territory. Before it stops moving or anybody touched it, he's yelling, "Foul ball!". And I yelled right back at him, "Not yet, it's not!".

This field was muddy and choppy and it wouldn't have taken much for the ball to hit a clump of mud and go fair. I've seen it happen before! Now what's he going to do...except deal with one pissed off coach or the other depending on how the play turns out. He just killed a live ball and prevented either a runner from reaching first, or the defense from getting an out, all becasue he was botching this basic mechanic.

He did this a lot last night. He also screamed, "Foul ball!", on balls hit straight to the backstop, back over the backstop or out of play down the lines. General rule of thumb...if it's so obviously foul that your grandmother sitting in the last row can see it...don't scream, "Foul ball!".

knooch21

ancient chinese secret
Yup. Until it hits something (player, ground, fence, etc), it's simply a batted ball. Once it lands or is touched, call it foul or simply signal it as NCASAUmp said.

Don't forget passing 1 of the bases...1 of those little devils could hit something down the line & come back fair.