Is there an automatic time out for injury?

vanmol

In ASA league today we had this play. Fly ball to the outfield, lost in the sun. Ball hit the fielder on the top of his head and down he went. I believe that the ball is in play and runners can advance at will. What say you?

vanmol

I am really surprised that no one can answer this question. The ball is in play seems obvious but I need to know if there is some rule in ASA USA or USSSA that calls for an automatic time out, dead ball, runners do not advance.

ureout

The Veteran
I agree as stated above .. if I believe the injury is serious I kill the play right away tend to the player and then award bases as to where in my judgment the runners would have ended up if play had not been stopped

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
USA Rule 10.4.E
An umpire shall not call time when any play is in progress, including when a thrown ball hits an umpire.
Exception: During live ball situations, when a player becomes injured and and requires immediate attention, an umpire shall call time.
Umpire's judgement on whether they feel an injury requires immediate attention. Have to be there to make that judgement, in league I'm probably going to be more likely to call time immediately than I am at a National.