Any Is there "transfer" in the outfield?

riotact

don't pitch, learn to hit
I have heard that when an outfielder runs a ball down and makes the catch that if they drop it in the act of reaching into the glove, that this rules the ball not a catch.

Also, we had a guy make a head first diving catch, he was sliding on his belly and the runners were tagging so as he pulls himself up to his knees(still sliding) the ball pops out of his glove when he was trying to come to his knees to throw the ball in. He never reached in his glove, it just poped out.

Is this play an out, or is it a dropped ball cause he was still moving. I've always thought that they need to maintain possession until the next part of the defensive play starts.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
This isn't the NFL, so there is no need to perform a "softball move." :D

In ASA, there are two definitions that come into play. I'll select the portions relevant to your question.
CATCH/NO CATCH:
A. A catch is a legally caught ball, which occurs when the fielder catches a batted, pitched or thrown ball with the hand(s) or glove/mitt.
1. To establish a valid catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to prove control of it and/or that the release of the ball is voluntary.

B. It is not a catch:
1. If a fielder, while gaining control, collides with another player, umpire or a fence, or falls to the ground and drops the ball as a result of the collision or falling to the ground.

Generally, if a fielder has caught the ball and quickly reaches into the glove to retrieve it, then it SHOULD be ruled a catch. However, it sometimes happens so fast that it's difficult for an umpire to determine one of two possible outcomes:

1 - The catch was already completed, and the drop was the result of the voluntary release of the ball into the open hand.
2 - The second hand going into the glove was PART of the catch, and as a result, the ball was never securely held.

In short, it's a judgment call. Does the fielder have control of the ball "long enough?" Does the ground cause the fielder to drop the ball?

mazzamouth

<font color="#191970">Punching Judy Swinger</font>
It is called Voluntary release, that is what the Ump should be looking for, same thing when turning a double play.