Is throwing overhand just an illegal pitch?

tommyd

Addicted to Softballfans
It'll just go further. Flatter, more energy behind it. Is sports new for you?
No, sports isn't new to me. Thanks for asking.

His reaction to me throwing outside "tosses" from 50' are going to lessen his chances of making the contact he was making with my 15mph silver platter lobs.

I'd rather 2 HRs that go 400' than 4 that go 350.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
PS- I don't play any sanctioned tournaments because there are none here. League nights ARE my tournaments. However, I'm not socially retarded and I can read situations. I'm not there to do everything I can to win if that means being an ass. And just because something is ok according to the rules, doesn't mean it's always a good idea to do it. I don't try to run up the score against a weak team, I don't stretch singles into doubles when I'm up by 15, and I don't purposely hit at the scared kid filling in at third. The fact that people can't grasp the concept of sportsmanship is the reason why participation is dropping.

This should really end the debate. Socially retarded is perfect

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
There needs to be a new rule. No walks allowed prior to the 6th inning. That should make everyone happy.

tommyd

Addicted to Softballfans
The funny part was after his 3rd HR, a few of my guys were sure his bat was shaved. A few guys were being vocal about it. So, the guy went back and got a different bat and proceeded to launch that one as far, if not farther, than his first three. Had to tip my hat to him on that one.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
So the same teammates that discussed throwing overhand or intentionally walking him every at-bat also accused him of swinging shaved because he's better than them? Sounds like you have a whole team full of pansies and douches.

tommyd

Addicted to Softballfans
So the same teammates that discussed throwing overhand or intentionally walking him every at-bat also accused him of swinging shaved because he's better than them? Sounds like you have a whole team full of pansies and douches.
Right. Only pansies and douches question whether a guy might be using a shaved bat after he's hit four 400ft HRs in a row.

It's almost as obvious as someone being a pansy or douche for calling someone else a pansy or douche from a keyboard!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Why automatically assume he's cheating? Maybe he just spent more time practicing and less time consulting forums for ways to skirt the rules.

tommyd

Addicted to Softballfans
Why automatically assume he's cheating? Maybe he just spent more time practicing and less time consulting forums for ways to skirt the rules.
I wouldn't know. I wasn't one of the accusers.

Who was trying to skirt the rules?

MaverickAH

We have a guy in our no-limit HR league that hit 4 homeruns out of 5 at bats. Just cranked em. We intentional walked him on his last at bat. He, understandably, wasn't happy about it. Manager wants to intentional walk him everytime, now.

I had a different idea. I want to throw fast overhand pitches just like baseball. I know it's an illegal pitch, but the batter still has the option of swinging if he chooses. I guess my question is, can the ump do anything about it? Am I in any danger of getting thrown out for this?

Let's get to the original question, answer it & move on..........

Delivering a pitch overhand, as you described, is Illegal, unsportsmanly & dangerous! Doing so should result in immediate ejection from the game!

/thread

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
The funny part was after his 3rd HR, a few of my guys were sure his bat was shaved. A few guys were being vocal about it. So, the guy went back and got a different bat and proceeded to launch that one as far, if not farther, than his first three. Had to tip my hat to him on that one.

This is dumb to me...just because people hit HR's, their bats are shaved...

If that dude is hitting consistently and that far, its skill...

Screw the overhand pitch...keep trying to figure him out...throw super deep or super shallow...let him chase a ball and screw up...but let the dude ****in hit!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
This is dumb to me...just because people hit HR's, their bats are shaved...

If that dude is hitting consistently and that far, its skill...

Screw the overhand pitch...keep trying to figure him out...throw super deep or super shallow...let him chase a ball and screw up...but let the dude ****in hit!

LOL! Nothing wrong with walking a big hitter ANYTIME or every time if deemed necessary. It is a strategy in attempting to win a contest. If you don't like it, find another game.

blakcherry329

I don't understand the whole, "it's only league, just pitch to him" mentality. People that play league want to win, too. Why would you throw out good softball strategy because it's "just a league game"??? I don't get it.

Country469

Because I'd personally rather provide a place where we can all have fun and enjoy the game instead. Is it legal, sure. It is good strategy to win, sure. Are you a super douche if winning your wed night beer league for a t shirt is more important that being respectful and having fun, ABSOLUTELY.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Because I'd personally rather provide a place where we can all have fun and enjoy the game instead. Is it legal, sure. It is good strategy to win, sure. Are you a super douche if winning your wed night beer league for a t shirt is more important that being respectful and having fun, ABSOLUTELY.

Orrrrrrrr...they could just put a better hitter behind him so you can't pitch around him. I'm guessing it's one of those teams that's 9 mediocre guys and him. In that case, sorry man, get some protection. I don't pay my league fee to pitch BP.

Country469

Orrrrrr..........you could just try to compete and have that be enough. You guys that get your self esteem from winning league ruin it for everyone. real talk.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I'm guessing it's one of those teams that's 9 mediocre guys and him. In that case, sorry man, get some protection.

That's the impression I'm getting too. In that case, I'd just let him hit his homerun every second or third inning he gets up. If the rest of his team sucks, they should still be easy to beat.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm assuming he worked on his game. 100% sure the OP is a huge douche. Lemme ask you this; and be honest......if you knew you were gonna get intentionally walked every ab in league, would you wanna show up?
If I said I would I would, but want to, probably not. I'm also not swinging at garbage even in league so I've probably had more all walk games than most.

Last edited:

MaverickAH

As long as you realize that's nothing but you personal opinion, cool......... If a team feels that walking particular individual is the best strategy for them to succeed, that's also cool!

I just don't know how you get to the rationale that intentionally walking the best hitter a team has is a super douche move. Anywhere I've played, intentionally walking a batter is either the ultimate sign of respect ("We fear your bat & we're not gonna let it hurt us.") or part of in game strategy (set up a force or pitch to a weaker hitter).

Orrrrrr..........you could just try to compete and have that be enough. You guys that get your self esteem from winning league ruin it for everyone. real talk.

Intentionally walking a hitter is part of competing! If my opponent can't beat me because I walked their best hitter it'd be straight up foolish of my team to do anything else! Guess what? I the batter hitting behind him can't get the job done, that's their problem. If they want to cry about it, guess who the real douches are.......

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
LOL! Nothing wrong with walking a big hitter ANYTIME or every time if deemed necessary. It is a strategy in attempting to win a contest. If you don't like it, find another game.

Spoken like someone who doesnt get intentionally walked

Country469

Its not against the rules no. But if a team feels its cool to pepper a pitcher after this happens, its well within the rules too. Its more about how you carry yourself as a grown ass man, and knowing the situation. Like I've said the whole time, late in the game where it matters, or int he playoffs fine. A regular league game, walking a guy 5 ****ing times on purpose. You want to know how I draw conclusions, the OP is asking about throwing it overhand. Enough said imo. Its not a respect thing its a total douche I can't win to I try to sabatoge your night move.

Country469

If a team feels the best strategy to win is to hit middle every damn until all the pitchers are knocked out of the game, its legal. But I know most of you would have an issue with that. Its about playing the damn game. Just like floyd catches heat for dancing around, its a puss move to walk a guy every single time.

Rooster210

P-Pumpah #1
Is this ASA or USSSA?

can you quick pitch him? does he take the first pitch? if not make sure your 1st pitch is a strike then make him chase. are you even a good pitcher? you throwing meatball pitches at him?

JabNblue

We have a guy in our no-limit HR league that hit 4 homeruns out of 5 at bats. Just cranked em. We intentional walked him on his last at bat. He, understandably, wasn't happy about it. Manager wants to intentional walk him everytime, now.

I had a different idea. I want to throw fast overhand pitches just like baseball. I know it's an illegal pitch, but the batter still has the option of swinging if he chooses. I guess my question is, can the ump do anything about it? Am I in any danger of getting thrown out for this?
The USA clearly states the rules of pitching. It doesn't mention an overhand fastball/baseball style. I would definitely call it unsportsmanlike conduct. I'm not going to drag you through the coals, but I have to ask why would you agree to be in a D class league with unlimited homeruns? Who persuaded the league director to allow this? And again why would you agree and play in it? I've seen the best hometun hitters not go 5 for 5 every time they played a game. Keep your option to walk him if you don't like watching bombs be hit. He paid just as you to play in the league. Next year I would change the rule or request it. We used to make all HRs hit after 5 be a single. This can stretch a game out as i was on the losing end in 1993 of a league team beating us 46 to 11. Longest 4 inning game i ever saw or played in.
Muscle up, change rules, learn breaking pitching styles, walk him every time. Oops, you decide to pitch one time, and a rocket is launched up the middle at you by this guy.... would you be able to catch it?

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Better yet. Just push the arc to 25-30' the umpire can call illegal pitch, and the batter gets a chance to swing.

blakcherry329

Tournaments, playoffs, certain situations in late innings, whatever. I get intentionally walked and it doesn't bother me. The OP is talking about walking a specific batter every single time he comes to the plate. For hitting homeruns. In an unlimited homerun league.
I wasn't talking about every time. But at crunch time, hell yeah. In the early innings, pitch to him. If we're getting our ass kicked, pitch to him. If it's a close game, late, do what you need to do to win. Let the rest of his team try to beat you.

Country469

I think we all have been saying that. Its about knowing the situation. Grown man ish. Not for softball players under 30 it seems.