Is throwing overhand just an illegal pitch?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I almost said "no way someone could be this stupid or this much of a douche", but I see it here daily.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
The best hitters in baseball are paid millions to win. This guy is probably PAYING hundreds to play.

So pitchers shouldn't be allowed to walk anybody because the batter might get butt hurt?

I don't pay money to just hit. I pay money to play the game - all aspects of it- and hopefully win. Why is the batter's money more important?

Are we getting upset because no one hits it to the first baseman? He payed money and he's not getting to make defensive plays.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Tournaments, playoffs, certain situations in late innings, whatever. I get intentionally walked and it doesn't bother me. The OP is talking about walking a specific batter every single time he comes to the plate. For hitting homeruns. In an unlimited homerun league.

Country469

As I said earlier..........its a league game. If its the playoffs fine, but its a puss move ruining someones night because you can't get them out. And it doesn't make you any better.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
If someone's night gets ruined because they didn't get to hit a HR, that person needs to seriously reanalyze their life. Isn't the overall point of the game to win? Why should a team only do what's required to win in the 6th or 7th innings? Why not the first or second inning? The runs count the same whether in the 1st or last inning.

The purpose of the defense is to make sure the other team scores as few runs as possible, not to stand there and watch balls leave the yard. That starts with the pitcher. I don't care if it is an unlimited HR league or a 3HR limit league. If walking the guy keeps the other team from scoring or reducing the number of runs scored that inning, that's what you do. Whether it's once, or whether its every time.

If you want an unlimited HR league where batters don't get butt hurt, you better put in rules to prevent intentional walks, or walks in general. Or instate you pitch to your team rules.

I also don't play tournament anymore, and I play on teams were none of the guys ever have. The "it's just league" doesn't fly - because league is their tournament.

Country469

I wouldn't show up and pay to play if I knew I was gonna get walked the whole time. The overall point of league night is to have fun with friends. Again, if I'm after competition I play a weekend tourney, not a rec league. Also, like I said twice, if it was the playoffs its a different story. But when it comes down to keeping a guy from hitting I think we've all got so caught up in winning that we forget its supposed to be fun for everyone. I've been in the position to get walked before, plenty of times. Its an honor, IMO. But, would I give up my personal time to come play defense only, no. Its not about hitting home runs, its about getting to hit period. What fun is playing a game where you only get to field?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude is playing on a team where he's the only guy that can hit it out in an unlimited hr league. I'm pretty sure he's there to be sucked off by dudes for hitting a lobbed ball.

If we're up and nobody's on I'll pitch to him. He might even see a strike in other at bats, but the majority of the time I'm going to have a blast throwing pitches to see how bad of a pitch I can get him to chase. Granted, most people think I do that too every batter in every ab and I pretty much do.

Your initial point contradicts itself. These guys are douches for trying to win, but the other worked on his game and deserves strikes. You can't only have one of those two.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Isn't the overall point of the game to win?
In an adult slow pitch league? No, it's not at all the overall point.

If you are the worst player on the team, is it ok for the manager to bench you every game? You are more likely to win that way, right?

edit: If you will respect your own teammates to allow them to play, you should respect your opponent as well.

Country469

I'm assuming he worked on his game. 100% sure the OP is a huge douche. Lemme ask you this; and be honest......if you knew you were gonna get intentionally walked every ab in league, would you wanna show up?

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
In an adult slow pitch league? No, it's not at all the overall point. If you need that explained to you, there is really no point in trying.

If you are the worst player on the team, is it ok for the manager to bench you every game? You are more likely to win that way, right?

Yes in league which you guys all look down on. What about for the guys that don't play sanctioned tournaments? For them, league IS their tourney. Some of you that play weekend ball have difficulty grasping THAT concept. Because one of the teams I play on has only two of us that every played sanctioned ball, ever, I don't half ass things just because "it's just league (for me)." and yeah when 15 guys show up, the worst few don't play. But that was also on a fully sponsored team.

And yeah, if I knew I was going to get walked every time I was up in league I would still show up. I actually *like* running bases and fielding, and actually hate being EH.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes in league which you guys all look down on. What about for the guys that don't play sanctioned tournaments? For them, league IS their tourney. Some of you that play weekend ball have difficulty grasping THAT concept. Because one of the teams I play on has only two of us that every played sanctioned ball, ever, I don't half ass things just because "it's just league (for me)." and yeah when 15 guys show up, the worst few don't play. But that was also on a fully sponsored team.

And yeah, if I knew I was going to get walked every time I was up in league I would still show up. I actually *like* running bases and fielding, and actually hate being EH.

I've never played in a tournament, and the "it's league" argument is completely valid. We are paying money to play, and hitting is far and away the most fun part of playing softball.

Country469

This is the reason softball is dying across the country. Guys would rather walk someone 4 times and maybe win then to get out there compete, and have fun. That ? wasn't for you tho, as you've stated numerous time you don't understand how it feels to waste a night of your life because some small pecker decides its better to walk you 5 times than to ACTUALLY COMPETE.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
I've never played in a tournament, and the "it's league" argument is completely valid. We are paying money to play, and hitting is far and away the most fun part of playing softball.

That is your opinion, and that's fine. I won't argue about that being your feeling. But I would rather play SS or 3B or LC and make a "damn did you see that?" play vs hitting.

This is the reason softball is dying across the country. Guys would rather walk someone 4 times and maybe win then to get out there compete, and have fun. That ? wasn't for you tho, as you've stated numerous time you don't understand how it feels to waste a night of your life because some small pecker decides its better to walk you 5 times than to ACTUALLY COMPETE.

The reason softball is dying, is because the next generation doesn't want to actually DO anything, when they can just sim it. There's a dearth of younger people in a ton of avocations because of that. Also needing to armor up like you're on the swat team isn't helping either. I also don't consider it a waste if I get on base five times, whether it's 5 singles, 5 HR, or 5 IBB. You're a hitter, I get it. So for you it's a waste of time. But if I know a guy is going to knock in 10+ runs on my team when the guy behind him can't , and my team is only capable of scoring 15 or so, why would I spot them the 10 runs?

If you want to do nothing but hit, go take BP, and keep score with ghost runners.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
OP deserves to have every batter smash middle and try to hit him in the throat. Repeat until his team runs out of substitutes and has to declare a forfeit.

Because "Yay! Winning!"

tommyd

Addicted to Softballfans
100% sure the OP is a huge douche

I'd say I was a small douche. If I were a huge douche, I never would've entertained throwing fastballs. I would've been fine with the IW.

If I knew I was going to be walked 5 times, yes, it would be less thrilling for me to come out. I'd still do it because I, too, like running bases.

If you knew you were going to be walked 5 times, would you rather have a chance at hitting by going after fastballs?

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
And since this is ask the umpire, if you threw on OH pitch, I'd declare it illegal and ask the coach for a substitute. We will see you in two weeks. (In the league I'm in, and ejection results in a 1 game additional suspension)

Country469

Throw bad pitches, get him to try and go fishing in that case. I think we both agree that we miss the old equipment where most guys wouldn't go deep 4-5 times at will and the game was still more of a game rather than a derby. But personally I'd rather lose knowing I competed against the best and came up short rather than finding a short cut to do something. 7th inning close game, cool. First inning, not cool.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
PS- I don't play any sanctioned tournaments because there are none here. League nights ARE my tournaments. However, I'm not socially retarded and I can read situations. I'm not there to do everything I can to win if that means being an ass. And just because something is ok according to the rules, doesn't mean it's always a good idea to do it. I don't try to run up the score against a weak team, I don't stretch singles into doubles when I'm up by 15, and I don't purposely hit at the scared kid filling in at third. The fact that people can't grasp the concept of sportsmanship is the reason why participation is dropping.

Country469

I'd say I was a small douche. If I were a huge douche, I never would've entertained throwing fastballs. I would've been fine with the IW.

If I knew I was going to be walked 5 times, yes, it would be less thrilling for me to come out. I'd still do it because I, too, like running bases.

If you knew you were going to be walked 5 times, would you rather have a chance at hitting by going after fastballs?

I'd let them go, bra. And then laugh when the other 10 guys in the line up peppered the middle all game because you picked that way to compete.

Country469

PS- I don't play any sanctioned tournaments because there are none here. League nights ARE my tournaments. However, I'm not socially retarded and I can read situations. I'm not there to do everything I can to win if that means being an ass. And just because something is ok according to the rules, doesn't mean it's always a good idea to do it. I don't try to run up the score against a weak team, I don't stretch singles into doubles when I'm up by 15, and I don't purposely hit at the scared kid filling in at third. The fact that people can't grasp the concept of sportsmanship is the reason why participation is dropping.

ding ding ding