Is throwing overhand just an illegal pitch?

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
6.3.D The pitcher shall deliver the ball toward home plate on the first forward swing of the pitching arm past the him WITH AN UNDERHAND MOTION. The palm of the pitcher's hand may be over or under the ball.

6.3.G The pitch shall be released at a moderate speed. The speed is left entirely up to the judgment of the umpire.

Effect:
1 Illegal pitch
2 The umpire shall warn the pitcher who delivers a pitch with excessive speed. If the pitcher repeats such an act after being warned, they shall be removed from the pitching position for the remainder of the game.

Last edited:

JabNblue

Have you honestly read any of this thread? Cliffnotes version: OP wants to surprise a batter by throwing overhand because he hit homeruns in an unlimited homerun league. And for the record, I don't think I'd qualify as a "ballfield badass". In 18 years of playing, I have yet to argue with an ump or even get in a minor scuffle with anyone. But in 18 years I've never had anyone throw overhand at me either.
Ow that's funny. Didn't think about it might just piss that batter off"!! Lol

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I'm not perfect, far from it actually. But when I'm in over my head and realize I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm smart enough to stop talking.

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
Have you honestly read any of this thread? Cliffnotes version: OP wants to surprise a batter by throwing overhand because he hit homeruns in an unlimited homerun league. And for the record, I don't think I'd qualify as a "ballfield badass". In 18 years of playing, I have yet to argue with an ump or even get in a minor scuffle with anyone. But in 18 years I've never had anyone throw overhand at me either.
you'd qualify as a keyboard warrior, and a pu$$y in real life

Pheonix51

Addicted to Softballfans
Because the way not to be a puss is to argue and prove how big of a man you are? I don’t get it...

LIKEUCM

Did anyone even answer the question? You are not permitted to deliver a pitch with excessive speed. Doing so, should result in a warning from the umpire to the pitcher, and a repeat would result in the pitcher being removed from the pitching position. Could be an very different conversation if the umpire views this as unsportsmanlike conduct. If I may say so, I belive the original post was just thinking of a way to avoid the intentional walk each time, and offer up a pitch that would possibly tempt the batter to swing at pitches that he could not jack over the fence. Turning a slow pitch game into a baseball game is not permitted to address the delema that you are facing with this batter. Just "put him on" if that is what you want to do to minimize the damage.

thaynes

Thanks so much for your opinion, Joker.

Do you have an answer to the question asked?
He answered it pretty well. Don't do stupid ****. Good way to get someone hurt. Be it the batter because you hit him or you because you pissed him off an he mashed middle on you. That's 100% What I would do if I were him