Other ISA league --- Baserunner catches throw to break-up double-play

thedodger22

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a weird one tonight..........Runner on 1st base with 1 out. Batter hits grounder to pitcher, who picks it up & flips to SS to start the double-play. SS tags 2nd & throws to first for a sure out. That is, until the runner from first-base (who has now been put out via SS tagging 2nd) stands in the baseline and intentionally swats the throw to the ground.

Call on the field was that umpire didn't see him do it; so batter went to first-base safely. Runner from first was a little arrogant walking off the field.........yelling "know your rules, it's only 1 out" amongst other choice words.

What's the right call?

beernbombs

Abby's dad
Interference, batter runner also out. Warning to runner to knock that **** off.

Of course, that's if I saw it.:D

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
This would be damn funny if it was first and third and none out. Runner from first is retired, runner who should score from 3rd is also out for the interference and the runner is safe at first. The dumbass base runner keeps the run from scoring and gets a sore hand for his stupidity.

thedodger22

Addicted to Softballfans
So in this case, with only a runner on 1b, the runner is out on the tag and batter is safe at first?

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
No.....you are going to get a DP for intentional interference by a retired runner. The only difference is who is out. In Rhound's scenario.....the runner from third would be out. In yours.....the BR would be out.

thedodger22

Addicted to Softballfans
No.....you are going to get a DP for intentional interference by a retired runner. The only difference is who is out. In Rhound's scenario.....the runner from third would be out. In yours.....the BR would be out.

got it...thanks fellas. As luck would have it, we were killing this team and this occurred in final inning. But good to know...

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
So in this case, with only a runner on 1b, the runner is out on the tag and batter is safe at first?

Sorry a little clarification. The runner forced at 2nd is out. For the interference the runner closest to home plate is out. In this case that would be the only remaining runner who was going to first. In the case I suggested the runner scoring from 3rd would be out since he was the runner closest to the plate. Still a double play but the runner at first would not be the 2nd out.

thedodger22

Addicted to Softballfans
Sorry a little clarification. The runner forced at 2nd is out. For the interference the runner closest to home plate is out. In this case that would be the only remaining runner who was going to first. In the case I suggested the runner scoring from 3rd would be out since he was the runner closest to the plate. Still a double play but the runner at first would not be the 2nd out.

Thanks again.........first time I've seen it in a dozen years of playing. But who knows when it'll come up again!

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
Single umpire game....he/she might be making a quick glance at a runner touching third which could make him/her miss the throw for the DP.

Crappy excuse....but still an excuse.

**** happens....even in two umpire games. Not all can be covered correctly.

Hire the best umpire group you can. Or better yet....step up and umpire yourselves.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
I am not trying to be mean because I know umping is tough and you just can't see everything but I do assume most umpires have some sort of peripheral vision. I will say I would be much less bothered by an umpire not seeing something than by misapplying or not knowing rules.

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
120 versus 30

Typically people have peripheral vision which covers 120 degrees but of that we can only really focus on 30 degrees. That's 15 degrees on either side of where our nose is pointed.

I watched a very good presentation on this recently at my ISF umpiring course.

That said, as a plate umpire they should have framed the play at 2nd and then pivoted slightly to pick up the follow on play coming into 1st and let the ball bring their head into the play. I have no idea how, if following the proper mechanic, an umpire doesn't see this sort of activity.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
I am not trying to be mean because I know umping is tough and you just can't see everything but I do assume most umpires have some sort of peripheral vision. I will say I would be much less bothered by an umpire not seeing something than by misapplying or not knowing rules.

Typically people have peripheral vision which covers 120 degrees but of that we can only really focus on 30 degrees. That's 15 degrees on either side of where our nose is pointed.

I watched a very good presentation on this recently at my ISF umpiring course.

That said, as a plate umpire they should have framed the play at 2nd and then pivoted slightly to pick up the follow on play coming into 1st and let the ball bring their head into the play. I have no idea how, if following the proper mechanic, an umpire doesn't see this sort of activity.

How many games have you umpired and have you ever missed a call?

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
How many games have you umpired and have you ever missed a call?

I haven't umped a lot of games but some and I have absolutely missed calls I am sure. I don't expect umps to be perfect not do I treat them like they should be perfect. We as players make way more mistakes than the umps do.