ISA now allows Senior bats

wcuranger

Addicted to Softballfans
be a lot of inning ending hr's hit if the rec and E divisions use senior sticks, I worry about some of my boy's with just there regular sticks, when out of homeruns. don't know why you would use em in those divisions

pj3p

Senior Power Hitter :-)
In South Florida a senior bat would be a step down from most of what is being used.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes you do! Quite a few major players play in the 40 and over division.
9b7382dd14322e99eebd905275839737.jpg

Showtime/Titan trucking champions 2014:D and yes using the bats and balls in senior blows away the powder puff bullcrap of 52"s every day and twice on Sunday by far! A lot more fun and in 3 years of doing tourneys never saw or heard or anyone getting hurt and that's a fact.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
In South Florida a senior bat would be a step down from most of what is being used.

I've only played So FL once, but it's definitely the case in No FL.

I think it's a dumb choice IMO, but the thing that's really disappointing is the logic. The division who's participation is going up uses this equipment, so let's offer it to everyone. What is the difference between where new Senior players come from and new players in all the other divisions?

miltho249

Addicted to Softballfans
It's all well and good if a pitcher can pitch from an additional 6ft back and throw strikes. What happens when it is incredibly windy and you have to pitch from the front of the rubber? Good luck.

Mr James

Part Time Player
Really

Heard the same argument when they went from 46 to 50 and again when they added the floating rubber

Joker

I've only played So FL once, but it's definitely the case in No FL.

I think it's a dumb choice IMO, but the thing that's really disappointing is the logic. The division who's participation is going up uses this equipment, so let's offer it to everyone. What is the difference between where new Senior players come from and new players in all the other divisions?

or the logic that they admit shaved bats are still way better than senior bats and that letting people use seniors will be a deterrent

johnny fitz

Addicted to Softballfans
or the logic that they admit shaved bats are still way better than senior bats and that letting people use seniors will be a deterrent

You think so joker? I would say a senior bat with any swings on it at all is better than 99% of shaved bats.

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
If ISA actually sent bats back for testing (once they failed compression), instead of just giving the bat back to the culprit at the end of a game....

Mrjames

The Rookie
Hot bats

Lets see about sending off suspected shaved bats.

Your bat is legit but hot. It gets taken and tested and it is right at the compression numbers. The director takes it and send it off to the National office on Monday takes two days to get to National office thats Wednesday they test it and send it off by Friday. The bat company gets it on Tuesday and lays around for a week or two before it it tested. ( the bat companies take thier own time to test and send back a report sometimes longer than 2 weeks) the bat has not been tampered with, they send it back and say it is ok. Now I hit with a legal bat and now it has been taken and I have not had my bat for over 3 weeks, for some reason that does not sound fair either.

Even worse you hit me with a shaven bat and they check it and it is above the compression numbers nothing is done That don't sound fair either.

Until the bat companies make bats that cannot be alter it is going to be a merry go round on what should be done

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Bats that fail compression aren't necessarily tampered with; however, they are no longer eligible for use in sanctioned play.

IMO what should happen is that the association rep should at that point record the serial number into a National database AND file off the association's stamp since it is no longer valid for use in THAT association.

That would also prevent the bat from being sold without informing the buyer that it isn't approved for use in a specific/multiple sanctions.

Anyone now found using that bat in sanctioned play in the future should be held accountable as a cheater and penalized accordingly within the specific sanction's policy.

No need to confiscate and ship a bat off......unless it fails tremendously (e.g. below 180) or that particular association has a rule about hitting pitchers/infielders with a batted ball.

Joker

Bats that fail compression aren't necessarily tampered with; however, they are no longer eligible for use in sanctioned play.

IMO what should happen is that the association rep should at that point record the serial number into a National database AND file off the association's stamp since it is no longer valid for use in THAT association.

That would also prevent the bat from being sold without informing the buyer that it isn't approved for use in a specific/multiple sanctions.

Anyone now found using that bat in sanctioned play in the future should be held accountable as a cheater and penalized accordingly within the specific sanction's policy.

No need to confiscate and ship a bat off......unless it fails tremendously (e.g. below 180) or that particular association has a rule about hitting pitchers/infielders with a batted ball.

so you file off the stamp so that it can't be used in places they don't compression test? nah

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
so you file off the stamp so that it can't be used in places they don't compression test? nah

If compression is the means of determining what is "legal" and what is not, then yes. Just because they don't have/use a compression tester at some events doesn't mean the bat should be allowed in sanctioned play. If it failed it failed.....no longer good for use in any sanctioned play in that particular association.

I would perhaps suggest that since there can be some variance in machines/personnel doing the testing....lets say if the cutoff is 220, then anything below 205 gets the stamp removed.....205-219 just doesn't get stickered or whatever and player is informed not to use the bat in that tournament (maybe next tourney it passes at 220).

I would still say there needs to be a National registry for bats that fail, and the bats that fall into that 205-219 range still get entered, and a second failure results in a stamp removal. With smart phones, tablets, etc. this could easily be handled the same day of the tournament.

Joker

does a failed compression test means the bats exceeds the limits of the testing standard or does it just mean it failed a compression test?

does every association require a bat to pass a compression test at every sanctioned tourney or league?

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
does a failed compression test means the bats exceeds the limits of the testing standard or does it just mean it failed a compression test?

does every association require a bat to pass a compression test at every sanctioned tourney or league?

Not every association has a stamp....so I am only concerned about the bona fide associations.....the one's that have stamps associated with them. As far as I know ASA and USSSA use a compression tester for sanctioned play either prior to play to determine eligibility or when a situation arises.

I haven't played NSA in years. ISA I'm not sure about b/c it's not been run great here to this point so I'm not basing anything off that experience.

Why would you be ok with a stock bat at 210 but not ok with a cut/rolled bat at 240? Performance impacts the safety. Or are you just not a believer in the compression test concept?

Joker

you know for a fact that every sanctioned ASA and USSSA tourney in the world requires a bat to be compression tested?

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
Update on ISA: None of the bat companies have filled out the proper paperwork (yet), so as of now... all Senior League Bats are considered illegal for play...

Also, there has been a change on the helmet rule. Pitchers do not have to wear a helmet, but if they choose not to, they must sign a waiver.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Update on ISA: None of the bat companies have filled out the proper paperwork (yet), so as of now... all Senior League Bats are considered illegal for play...

Also, there has been a change on the helmet rule. Pitchers do not have to wear a helmet, but if they choose not to, they must sign a waiver.

OP says "protective mask" not "helmet"....did that change or just an oversight on your part?

miltho249

Addicted to Softballfans
Bat companies should make bats where the end cap comes off with a special tool. That way if a bat is thought to be shaved you can remove the endcap right then and there and check.

jgerb88

MARK IT 0!!
Does anyone know if they still need to update their legal bat list? I see they say they've adopted 1.21 but they also say the bat has to be listed and I cannot find the ultra or anything by dudley? I see the nightmare by ad starr but thats all that stuck out to me.

Cliff

Addicted to Softballfans
a friend told me that none of the bat company have done the paperwork yet so none of the bats can be used yet.

that is just what a friend told me, so take it for what it is worth.

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
a friend told me that none of the bat company have done the paperwork yet so none of the bats can be used yet.

that is just what a friend told me, so take it for what it is worth.

This is true... Scott Pittman told me the same thing (ISA SC State Director).

Honestly, I really do not think the bat companies will return the paperwork, anyway.

puckdropper

Addicted to Softballfans
Here in Fort Myers I play ASA & ISA during the week and Fla Half Century 1 week end a month. I found out that players over 50 in the ISA league will be allowed to use senior bats . I play in a mens open league, pitching against the young guys can be a little dangerous, I now can use my Miken Big Cat to keep the outfielders from creeping in on this old man.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heard the same argument when they went from 46 to 50 and again when they added the floating rubber

It was valid then, and it's even more valid now. I can throw strikes from that far back, but it's not as easy and just because I can doesn't mean I want to. I certainly don't want to have to just so some dipstick can occasionally hit one 315.

That's who this is about really.