Other ISF overthrow rule for modified

baseman

in your face nancy grace
I was playing last night and had rounded second on my way to 3rd and the outfield threw the ball to 1st to try and get out the runner (injured so running slow) before the ball rolled into the dugout (no one in the infield touched). I had crossed home plate and the ump made me go back to 3rd as she claimed, that since 3 years ago, the rule is i only get 2 bases from where i was at the time of the pitch not the throw. Does anyone know if this is indead the case?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I was playing last night and had rounded second on my way to 3rd and the outfield threw the ball to 1st to try and get out the runner (injured so running slow) before the ball rolled into the dugout (no one in the infield touched). I had crossed home plate and the ump made me go back to 3rd as she claimed, that since 3 years ago, the rule is i only get 2 bases from where i was at the time of the pitch not the throw. Does anyone know if this is indead the case?

From ISF rule book:

f. When the ball is in play and is overthrown (beyond the boundary lines) or is blocked.
EFFECT – Sec. 7f:
All runners, including the batter-runner, shall be awarded two bases, and the award will be governed by the position of the runners when the ball left the fielder's hand. Runners may return to touch a base left too soon on a caught fly ball, or a missed base. If two runners are between the same bases, the award is based on the position of the lead runner.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I think that blowing a call then telling someone, "They changed that rule a few years ago", is the umpire version of, "The check's in the mail". :rolleyes:

baseman

in your face nancy grace
What i figured she also tried to tell me that the catcher can block homeplate without the ball last night. I told her fine but then he is fair game and she changed her mind.