"It's just a glove. No one cares."

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Saw this remark recently. Isn't that the whole problem with the glove community degrading into what it is today? Where did this mindset develop in people who just entered the community in that past few years?

So sad to see the passion waning.

Dan

defos

Most of the guys I play with have cheap gloves. Most treat their gloves like "it's just a glove, but they certainly don't think "it's just a glove" - especially if they have to replace it. They've found what works for them and that's why they stick with them.

I bought a Dale Murphy RBG36 in 1992, which was actually a pretty decent glove at the time, and used it for 18 yrs until someone took it between games. It was an extension of my hand. The Jose Canseco model of the same period that I had as a backup felt like it had cardboard for the palm. When I lost the Murphy glove, it took me a year and a half of trying a lot of gloves before I found a glove I liked well enough to use as my gamer. I now use a couple of ProPreferreds, but I don't look down on anyone using a glove that works for them. And yes, I check what gloves others are using.

Watching my granddaughter's very first softball game (8U) Tuesday, I noticed something that surprised me. None of the girls on her team had played before, and it showed. The other team however, was more experienced. Like most, I thought a softer, more flexible glove is better for the little ones, but I've changed my mind. 7 and 8 year olds hands aren't big enough or strong enough to close any glove. A couple of the girls on the other team had gloves that were a little big for them, and stiff. With these bigger, stiffer gloves, the glove did the catching. The ball just stuck in those gloves. All the girls had to do was get the glove in front of the ball. Might have to dig out the smallish HOH PRO1000 I found at a Goodwill for $1.00 for my granddaughter!

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
I see it all the time...folks coming in from the field and as they head to the dugout, just toss their glove, it sliding across the infield dirt until it comes to rest against the fence. I just wince.

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
I never understand it....I never throw my glove in the dirt, nor do I let teamamtes use my gloves. I carry a cheap 25$ lefty in the bag in case someone needs one.....cuz you aint getting my Ichiro or PRO-TB24 (1997) or my Gloveworks....Nope, not happening.

THen again, I really dont care what bat I use. So maybe its a bat or glove preference. I dont used shaved bats (whats the sense of that) nor do I use a brand new one every year. I'm a doubles hitter anyway...but I do care about my gloves. And because of that, everytime I game a different glove (which now can be every game of fall and summer (36 games) Each glove is unique, and fits beautifully.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I've played with a bunch of guys that show up with $1200 worth of bats and make fun of my "million dollar glove" ($200 actually). I'd rather show up with decent leather and a cheap bat than the other way around.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I still get comments on my "New" glove? - 6year old A2K-1799.
Especially considering I play the corners...

I do bring spares but rarely dish them out: TJ1952 or GMP3
Don't even think of trying my PRODCTJBT

Last edited:

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dusted off the PROS303-6C last night.

Thank goodness for that super-dense heel pad, as I took the hardest shot I've ever defended making an olé catch at 3B; doubling off the runner at second.

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
This comment isn't anything new, IMO (I think this topic comes up here at SBF about every four years). I don't play at a level where guys show up with a $40 glove and 6 bats (you know, one for home runs, one for line drives, one for going opposite field, one for going middle, one for lefty pitchers, and I guess one for striking out). In my E-league, there are plenty of guys who have lower-end gloves, but they all seem to treat them with respect. It was more the kids on my son's high school team that would treat their gloves like trash, but they were 14-18 years old.

I am more amazed at the FB glove group where guys seem to be willing to spend $400+ for crazy colored limited editions that they will never use.

Mpalm18

And will never be able to sell.
Agree, when I see people buying multiples of a limited release for the sole purpose of flipping them at near double the price on their favorite buy/sell page, it makes me scratch my head and feel like I must be missing something. (i.e. latest SBF Nado glove going for $450-500 after retail for $300) Doesn’t feel to me how the glove community should operate. Buying up/hoarding gloves with the main intent of price-gouging a fellow glove guy/gal just doesn’t feel right. Not saying they should be giving them away for nothing and I get that that can be just how the market works. If someone is willing to pay that price, then the seller can set their price wherever they can get a sale, but still… ehh.

lorichie56

Agree, when I see people buying multiples of a limited release for the sole purpose of flipping them at near double the price on their favorite buy/sell page, it makes me scratch my head and feel like I must be missing something. (i.e. latest SBF Nado glove going for $450-500 after retail for $300) Doesn’t feel to me how the glove community should operate. Buying up/hoarding gloves with the main intent of price-gouging a fellow glove guy/gal just doesn’t feel right. Not saying they should be giving them away for nothing and I get that that can be just how the market works. If someone is willing to pay that price, then the seller can set their price wherever they can get a sale, but still… ehh.
This is how literally every single thing is now. Cards, shoes, bats, electronics, consoles on and on and on forever. Really takes the fun out of having a hobby.

defos

I'm at the opposite end of "it's just a glove". At last guesstimate, which was several years ago, I figured I had 50+ gloves. All but a handful are older lower end gloves most of you wouldn't even glance at. I picked them up for a couple of bucks for spares for a church co-ed league, to sell, for parts, or for the experience/challenge of repairing them. Some I picked up for the grandkids - the oldest is 7 1/2 and just started 8u, and her brothers are 5 and 1 1/2. But the main reason is because I can't stand the thought of a glove, even junk ones, getting thrown away, which is would have happened to most of them. Since most remain untouched, all I've really done is save them from the landfill.

Lemond

I'm at the opposite end of "it's just a glove". At last guesstimate, which was several years ago, I figured I had 50+ gloves. All but a handful are older lower end gloves most of you wouldn't even glance at. I picked them up for a couple of bucks for spares for a church co-ed league, to sell, for parts, or for the experience/challenge of repairing them. Some I picked up for the grandkids - the oldest is 7 1/2 and just started 8u, and her brothers are 5 and 1 1/2. But the main reason is because I can't stand the thought of a glove, even junk ones, getting thrown away, which is would have happened to most of them. Since most remain untouched, all I've really done is save them from the landfill.
I’m nowhere near 50, but have a few low end gloves that came from my dad. In a store, a wouldn’t even take them off the shelf. I can’t even get myself to donate them to our youth rec league, as there are so many better gloves. Can’t throw them away, even without the slight sentimental value. So, they’ll sit around indefinitely.

MaverickAH

It’s just softball in general & it’s always been that way IMHO. Offense over defense….. That attitude just naturally extends to the equipment.

I’ve played on a lot of good teams over the years and the better the team, the more prevalent the attitude. It usually works until you have an off day hitting or run up against an opponent that’s just as good as you! Nothing sucks the life out of an offense like spending 30 to 45 minutes in the field on a 90+ degree day!