Japanese gloves vs American gloves

Jomatty

Starting Player
Sorry to be clogging up the forums with all my questions lately but after spending a few years in glove rehab I seem to have relapsed...this is the only place I know to get answers to these sort of questions so here we go..,

I have owned Japanese made Wilson’s and Rawlings but never a true Japanese style glove. From the research I’ve done (and a great reply from dan Davis in another thread) I’ve sort of figured out the differences. One of the things that both intrigues me, and worries me, is that it seems the pocket is a little wider and is more towards the middle finger than where it is in American gloves. It seems the fingers tend to be on the longer side as well, which is a bit of a concern as I like a slight flare on the pinky and very slight flare of the thumb, and slightly bowled fingers, and I go TIP. The heel seems wider and thinner, in general, and that appeals to me.
My main question to those that have owned some of the nice Japanese gloves is if the difference is truly noticeable and if it is difficult to get used to. Obviously this will differ from person to person and the answer is probably to bite the bullet and try one. But I enjoy learning about this stuff and talking about it in the spirit of research.
Thanks for any input

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Do NOT apologize!! You're the only guy keeping any discussions going right now! I wish I could answer your questions, I'm sure some of these other guys here can. I went through the true Japanese glove phase not too long ago, just never pulled the trigger. At this moment there's a couple from our church who recently moved just 20 miles outside of Tokyo, the husband has told me several times to just let him know when & what! I'd still love to have that IP Select I've posted here before, but with what I've seen and learned about the GW Pro One, it'd make much more sense to go that route!

I will say one thing about the 12.25" GW I owned, It would have been almost impossible to wear that glove TIP (not completely impossible) but close! Just the way it was made inside the glove on the pinky side, it highly favored wearing it traditional (same with my SB #26)! Not saying all Gloveworks are that way, but mine sure was!

Just Ron

Addicted to Softballfans
I own one Japanese style glove, MIJ Mizuno but have tried a few over the years. The quality is fantastic but there are differences as you noted. The biggest for me was the smaller thumb size and shifted pocket (middle finger). It’s great for baseball and when I was coaching, I would use it all the time. However, when I tried with the 12” softball, the larger ball would either pop out or bend the thumb outward. Mind you, I prefer larger gloves (12.75-13.5) than most in here but being a pitcher, 1B, or outfield, they suit my needs.

Btw, also like you, I play TIP with a deep pocket between my thumb and first finger (sans the flare).

Gloves can certainly be an addiction, I have a new Mizuno Pro Select I found on Black Friday still wrapped in my basement. Can’t wait for spring!

Last edited:

Jchap

Japanese gloves are best for middle infielders in baseball. The playing surfaces in Japan play fast and quick, and the infielder gloves are built for the quick transfer from glove to throwing hand. They are flatter, definitely not bowl-shaped. I've had 11.5" Mizuno Pro Limiteds and 11.5" Kubato Sluggers. The only Japanese OF glove I had was a Nike Sha Do Elite J. It played narrow, but felt great on the hand.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Japanese gloves are best for middle infielders in baseball. The playing surfaces in Japan play fast and quick, and the infielder gloves are built for the quick transfer from glove to throwing hand. They are flatter, definitely not bowl-shaped. I've had 11.5" Mizuno Pro Limiteds and 11.5" Kubato Sluggers. The only Japanese OF glove I had was a Nike Sha Do Elite J. It played narrow, but felt great on the hand.
My personal favorite glove other than my Carpenter. I use it in infield for softball without any issues, though I did have the trap web swapped

NYC

Swag on 100.
Keep in mind Wilson A2K's are made in Japan but are American style patterns, although the A2K's tend to run a touch smaller and tighter on the hand than their A2000 counterparts. I wish we can get a Wilson 1781 A2K made somehow.

Jomatty

Starting Player
I like the idea of the pocket moved a little more towards the middle finger but everything else about the gloves sound like I might prefer a more traditional model. Even when I play second base I just don’t prefer a shallow flat glove anymore. My hands just aren’t what they used to be, and I’m willing to sacrifice a split second of speed for a little more security...

Jomatty

Starting Player
Do NOT apologize!! You're the only guy keeping any discussions going right now! I wish I could answer your questions, I'm sure some of these other guys here can. I went through the true Japanese glove phase not too long ago, just never pulled the trigger. At this moment there's a couple from our church who recently moved just 20 miles outside of Tokyo, the husband has told me several times to just let him know when & what! I'd still love to have that IP Select I've posted here before, but with what I've seen and learned about the GW Pro One, it'd make much more sense to go that route!

I will say one thing about the 12.25" GW I owned, It would have been almost impossible to wear that glove TIP (not completely impossible) but close! Just the way it was made inside the glove on the pinky side, it highly favored wearing it traditional (same with my SB #26)! Not saying all Gloveworks are that way, but mine sure was!
I appreciate that. All you Gotta do is take two or three years off from being actively obsessed with gloves and it turns out you have a ton of questions when you get back!

Party mafia

Anyone have a 13 inches mizuno pro in a orange tan? Is that pro 13 inches mizuno pro only available in the Japanese market only? Thx

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Anyone have a 13 inches mizuno pro in a orange tan? Is that pro 13 inches mizuno pro only available in the Japanese market only? Thx
You can order a custom Mizuno Pro through Mizuno USA now and they offer all three Japanese orange colors: Splendid Orange (called S. Orange in the builder and is more of an orange/red), Orange, and Burnt Orange.

Party mafia

You can order a custom Mizuno Pro through Mizuno USA now and they offer all three Japanese orange colors: Splendid Orange (called S. Orange in the builder and is more of an orange/red), Orange, and Burnt Orange.
Thx. It only go up to a 12.75 is the biggest size they have. Model gmp2-700dc. I choose their baseball custom.

Last edited:

NYC

Swag on 100.
need is an interesting word
There's a guy on my team that has a cheap glove, borrows other people's bats, has pants that are 2 sizes too small and still absolutely rakes.
May have asked this before but are they MIJ?

Jomatty

Starting Player
There's a guy on my team that has a cheap glove, borrows other people's bats, has pants that are 2 sizes too small and still absolutely rakes.

May have asked this before but are they MIJ?
I’ve wondered how many plays All my glove obsessiveness has helped me with over the years. Especially in softball. If I had bought one ok glove like a 12.75 inch gg elite or something like that my fielding may have been exactly the same. I wouldn’t have had as much fun though lol

NYC

Swag on 100.
My understanding is they are still made in China where the normal Mizuno Pro line is made. Even the majority of Japanese market Mizunos are made in China. The actual MIJ gloves are crazy expensive, customs even more so.
I tried on a Classic Pro Soft and it said made in Philippines. Do you know where the Pro Selects are made?

David the Gnome

The Veteran
I tried on a Classic Pro Soft and it said made in Philippines. Do you know where the Pro Selects are made?
Regular Pro Selects are made in the Philippines, I can't speak to where the customs are made. Pro Limited are made in Shanghai, China. I plan on ordering a custom Pro Limited in the very near future, so I'll have a lot more information at that time as to how the new custom line works.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Regular Pro Selects are made in the Philippines, I can't speak to where the customs are made. Pro Limited are made in Shanghai, China. I plan on ordering a custom Pro Limited in the very near future, so I'll have a lot more information at that time as to how the new custom line works.
Actually, last years Pro Limited moved back to Japan. I know because I almost pulled the trigger on one, they were made in China for a couple years before last.
https://www.mizunousa.com/product/b...d&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=100367

see it says made in Haga, Japan.

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Actually, last years Pro Limited moved back to Japan. I know because I almost pulled the trigger on one, they were made in China for a couple years before last.
https://www.mizunousa.com/product/b...d&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=100367

see it says made in Haga, Japan.
That's really more a slip on my part, I meant "Mizuno Pro" custom. I'm still not used to there being two different "Pro" and "Pro Limited" models after so many years of it just being the Pro Limiteds.

pidgeon

I bought a Kubota Slugger out of the same curiosity but found the pattern to be so odd for my purposes that I sold it even before I could break it in. It was a 12.5" H-web. The pocket was super flat and shallow, the fingers super long. I could not for the life of me get a 12u softball to stay in the pocket! My conclusion was that Japanese baseball players must be super fast with transitions and barely need to let the ball touch their glove before sending it back out. The Kubota Slugger was otherwise beautiful, but because I am a softball player and not baseball, I had to pass it on.

Jomatty

Starting Player
I bought a Kubota Slugger out of the same curiosity but found the pattern to be so odd for my purposes that I sold it even before I could break it in. It was a 12.5" H-web. The pocket was super flat and shallow, the fingers super long. I could not for the life of me get a 12u softball to stay in the pocket! My conclusion was that Japanese baseball players must be super fast with transitions and barely need to let the ball touch their glove before sending it back out. The Kubota Slugger was otherwise beautiful, but because I am a softball player and not baseball, I had to pass it on.
That’s my concern exactly. Even in the infield in baseball I like a slightly deeper glove. When I was young I could use really flat gloves but nowadays I value security over lightning quick transfers (regardless of the glove nothing happens lightning quick anymore).

sleepin4matty

Management Material
man I wish I could have snaked that deal. 12.5" gloves are the real deal

David the Gnome

The Veteran
My conclusion was that Japanese baseball players must be super fast with transitions and barely need to let the ball touch their glove before sending it back out.

Kubota Slugger's whole marketing thing is that they offer thin/flat gloves that focus on feel. Their sizes are even based on the width of the glove, not the length. If you want a Japanese Glove for softball, that's the worst brand to pick, as I'm sure you can attest. :)

Here's a video of one of the top high school teams warming up before Koshien (their big national HS tournament). You can see once they switch to ground balls how quick they are taught to get rid of the ball.

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
Where did you buy those 13 inches pro limited from? Are all those has the deguchi leather with deer palm lining?
Got em all 2nd hand. One or 2 on here, the others probs on fb. None are deguchi and no deerskin. All have same shell/palm leather.

Top lime is crest hide supreme elite. 2gw17800, MIJ
2nd from top orange is imperial kip leather. This is my backup/IF. Very durable/rugged but smooth leather. 2gw......., MIC
2nd from bottom is crest hide wisdom. Very nice and lightweight. My fav and my OF gamer. 1ajgh12117, MIC
Bottom is the famed 2GW17850, MIJ. Northern European kip. Buttery smooth. Have a 12.25 as well!

eviladams

All hail Megatron.....
I own at minimum:
2 Nike Shado Elite J
1 Nike Shado Elite J+
4 Junkei
2 IP Select
4 Atoms
2 Wilson’s
1 Decentes

The reason I say “minimum” is I’m in bed and probably forgetting ****. I’ve owned more than that list at one point.