Kentucky Guards

whiteshark99

Addicted to Softballfans
Wondering what you guys think...to start your team, John Wall or Rajon Rondo? Everyone seems to love Wall, but Rondo emerged this year as a legit top 5 PG. Personally, I would take Rondo, I like a guy who makes others around him better.IMO

Beez_33

M-A-(dolla sign)-E
Wondering what you guys think...to start your team, John Wall or Rajon Rondo? Everyone seems to love Wall, but Rondo emerged this year as a legit top 5 PG. Personally, I would take Rondo, I like a guy who makes others around him better.IMO

I would take Rondo as long as you provide him with a talented group of vets around him. He needs guys who can shoot and score. If he has to be a teams Derek Rose type pg where they expect him to score by creating his own shot in the clutch they will be disappointed. He is a great facilitator and an excellent rebounder. He's one of my least fav. players in the league but credit is due. He is a top 5 hustler, rebounder, and passer in his position not to menton he steals the rock. Not sure I'd give that up for a guy like Johnm wall who can score.

LONGSHOTS17

Addicted to Softballfans
As of today i would agree with ^^^^.. Rondo has done a great job.. But honestly its to early to compare the 2 until Wall hits the court in the NBA.. He may be great or be a bust. I think with Wall having a couple seasons under his belt it will be to close to call.

Beez_33

M-A-(dolla sign)-E
As of today i would agree with ^^^^.. Rondo has done a great job.. But honestly its to early to compare the 2 until Wall hits the court in the NBA.. He may be great or be a bust. I think with Wall having a couple seasons under his belt it will be to close to call.

My theory is why trade a top 5 pg for a pg you've never seen in the league. If you got John Wall wouldn't you hope he turns into a top 5 pg? how much ae you really going to gain? The risk/reward is not in your favor. You would have to go with the safe play.

SluggerCity3

smartfootball.com
so we're taking rondo over steve nash, deron williams, chris paul, derrick rose, jason kidd, chauncey billups, russell westbrook, tony parker, or brandon jennings?

sorry, i'll disagree here...

Beez_33

M-A-(dolla sign)-E
so we're taking rondo over steve nash, deron williams, chris paul, derrick rose, jason kidd, chauncey billups, russell westbrook, tony parker, or brandon jennings?

Over Kidd, Billups, Westbrook and jennings yes.

Kidd in no way brings the hustle,speed,intensity,defense and fast break ability Rondo does. kidd's shot is not THAT much better.

Billups doesn't bring the speed, fast break capability, finishing skills,passing skills or rebounding that Rondo does. Billups is a much better shooter and can post up small guards.

Westbrook can't play defense like Rondo and doesn't pass as well (Although he can dish out some assists for sure) as Rondo. He also doesn't rebound like Rondo does.

Jennings is not even an arguement at this point.

Rose has an arguement because if his team isn't scoring he can take over but rebounding from a pg spot is huge and right now I see none better than Rondo. Add on his defensive capabiltiy and it's close. rose is a much better scorer, can finish more effectively around the hoop, while being a very good passer so they kind of off set each other a bit. (I'm a Bulls fan)

I would PROBABLY take a healthy Parker over him but only because Parker can carry the load and is still a very capable passer. But defensively and rebounding wise Rondo is very much superior. He's a better passer by a smaller margin than TP as well.

Nash doesn't compare to rondo on defense but the things Nash can do and create on the offensive end more than make up for it.

CP3 is a superior player as well as D.Williams.

Carl24

Super*

I'd put him atleast 4th on this list. Maybe even higher.. He can put up a triple dbl every night. And he could score more if he wanted. He is hands down the best player on the Celtics.

SluggerCity3

smartfootball.com

it ain't, neither...and the implication is that Wall is already a top 5 and he's asking which top 5 you'd rather have...thanks for playing...

SluggerCity3

smartfootball.com
i feel like Rose is head and shoulders above Rondo given his scoring ability from the position he plays...i would much rather have a PG that can get his own offensively than have to rely on another position to shoot the ball...why do you think they struggled so bad last night with Ray Allen not shooting? they knew Rondo wasn't even going to think about jacking one up and the Lakers just waited for him to turn the ball over and double Pierce on the wing...Rondo is very solid and does some great things, but his liability on the offensive end is what has me burying him on this list...if he even had a quarter of what Rose or Westbrook or Jennings has offensively, i'd have him number 1...

whiteshark99

Addicted to Softballfans
Even if wall becomes a Rose type player, I prefer Rondo. Did Rose really make Chicago that much better? You already know that Rondo drove the bus for the old ass Celtics. Without him, they are a 5-6 seed in the east.

Beez_33

M-A-(dolla sign)-E
Even if wall becomes a Rose type player, I prefer Rondo. Did Rose really make Chicago that much better? You already know that Rondo drove the bus for the old ass Celtics. Without him, they are a 5-6 seed in the east.

Now your pushing it. Put Rondo on Chicagos team and that team is worse. Not because Rose is better than Rondo but because Rose's role right now is to score on a team that struggles offensively. Rose did make Chicago THAT much better. Believe that. Without Rose Chicago doesn't make the playoffs.

Beez_33

M-A-(dolla sign)-E
Does rondo remind anyone else of chris rock?

No he reminds me of Earthworm Jim

galleries-30-athlete-halloween-costume-suggestions-rajon-rondo-earthworm-jim_1256750847514.png

mychal

BET+UNCF+BASA+BHM=STFU
Westbrook can't play defense like Rondo and doesn't pass as well (Although he can dish out some assists for sure) as Rondo. He also doesn't rebound like Rondo does.

I agree with alot of what you said, but you were way off on your analysis of Westbrook.

Rondo is a better passer, but not by as much as most would think. Rondo's assist total was in the 700's, Westbrook was in the 600's. As far as defense, Rondo has more steals, Westbrook has more blocked shots and is able to guard bigger SG's as well as PG's. The last statement about rebounds is WAY wrong... Westbrook had more offensive and defensive rebounds than Rondo for the season. He's a very good rebounder and likes to mix it up in the paint.

Let's not forget that Westbrook is a 16% better free throw shooter than Rondo, which is a HUGE weakness for a ballhandler late in important games. Rondo's 5-19 from the line in the Finals is horrendous, less than 25%.

Last edited:

mychal

BET+UNCF+BASA+BHM=STFU

They were only a 4 seed in the East with him...

Beez_33

M-A-(dolla sign)-E
I agree with alot of what you said, but you were way off on your analysis of Westbrook.

Rondo is a better passer, but not by as much as most would think. Rondo's assist total was in the 700's, Westbrook was in the 600's. As far as defense, Rondo has more steals Westbrook has more blocked shots and is able to guard bigger SG's as well as PG's. The last statement about rebounds is WAY wrong... Westbrook had more offensive and defensive rebounds than Rondo for the season. He's a very good rebounder and likes to mix it up in the paint.

Let's not forget that Westbrook is a 16% better free throw shooter than Rondo, which is a HUGE weakness for a ballhandler late in important games. Rondo's 5-19 from the line in the Finals is horrendous, less than 25%.

I stand corrected. I usually stick up for Westbrook in this convo but I think Rondos playoff play is finally getting to me. I still think Rondo is a better defender but I have to admit I never realized Russel was that good of a rebounder. I am in agreement with you on passing though, which is why I said Westbrook still dishes his fair share. I think Rondo has the ability to make the difficult passes that only a few in the league can though. (Nash,CP3,Williams,Rondo)...the ones that involve a ton of creativity and precise location, along with communication.