knee pain

bigcat33

Addicted to Softballfans
I would like to know what over the counter joint pain medicines some seniors have tried and liked.Mostly in the knee area.

AZTOMC

Addicted to Softballfans
I use JointFlex which I purchased at Walgreens. I'm bone on bone in my right knee and I think it work great! I also take a product called Osteo-Sport which I purchase online. Its a glucosamine/chondroitin pill but has a bunch of other stuff in it. I have tried a lot of different products and think this one is the best I have tried.

floo56

Addicted to Softballfans
Joint supplements are better for you than just taking pain killers! I use the Nature Made joint supplements...Aloha, Fabe

puckdropper

Addicted to Softballfans
I have ordered the Tommie copper knee compression sleeve. I will let you know how it helps my arthritic left knee. We have a senior tournament next week-end, nothing like playing ball all year.

gary g

Addicted to Softballfans
bone on bone both knees i use advanced inflammation control by complementary prescriptions works better than everything i have tried

Gunsmoke

Addicted to Softballfans
Yep, anti-inflammatories when you feel pain. I take 2,000mg of glucosamine daily during the season. I tried ALL of the stuff you guys talked about. I even went so far as to take 2,000 of gluc, 500 of chondroitin and 20 of hyaluronic acid.

I think the latter two are all hype and for the most part you don't really get what you think you're paying for. Studies have proven the manufacturers rip us off. But glucosamine is cheap (so we do get our 2,000mg dosage) and it does have a cushioning effect so I opted to keep it.

For the most part I think ALL of those things have a placebo effect.

Oh and I tried those knee straps and it relieves knee pain for sure but I can't seem to keep them on when I'm bolting around the outfield or the basepath so I gave up on it too.

I'll keep playing until I can't stand the pain and then I'll just quit.

leftyodoul

Addicted to Softballfans
If it is bone on bone they have an injectable material (made from Turkey Waddles) that acts as a lubricant in the joint. It lasts anywhere from 6 months to 1 1/2 years. I have had 3 teammates that have had the procedure and are pain free. Next step is total knee replacement. I know of a couple of players on other teams who have had it and are back playing within 6 months.

Gunsmoke

Addicted to Softballfans
I heard that knee replacement is kinda like rotator surgery though. You just don't ever come back 100%.

As for the padding? I'm interested!!!!!!!! Probably costs a mint though.

Anybody know? Would BCBS of Texas pay for something like that or is that a "cosmetic" deal? I probably know the answer. :(

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
The turkey waddle stuff you speak of is actually rooster comb and it's called Synvisc which was given to me once a week for 3 treatments which I failed. I had 4previous scopes and had my meniscus replaced on both knees and was really bad bone on bone and had osteoarthritis in both knees.
I tried every injection , pill, treatment and brace known to man. And on 11/01/10 I had to have double knee replacement surgery at Fairview Medical in , MN and Twin Cities Othopediacs did the 9 hour surgery.
I played ball last year 3 nights per week and we won our second consecutiven ASA masters 45 plus championship. Last year at best I was 65-75 percent on flexibility but I was absolutely pain free. I even played about 12 pick up hockey games throughout the summer. I have been living in Negril, Jamaica since November, 2011 so I am in the water every day and last week I jogged lightly with zero pain and ran very hard for about 100 yards and it felt amazing. This year I would guess I would be about back to 95 percent. It's all about how you rehab. I am now oly 47 but my new knees feel like I am 20 again.
Keep in mind I have stayed in very good physical condition and being 5'10 and 175 lbs I am only 7 lbs over weight from my pre surgery weight. The biggest thing I found out dealing with my knees is that what works for me might not work for you and vice versa. But I have to admit I did try everything prior to having both my knees replaced.

hlsiii

Addicted to Softballfans
Knee pain does stink. Some days it hurts worse than others. My knees crack almost every other step. I have been taking glucosimine but it probably isn't going to help long term. I wish they would come up with a better solution than knee replacement.

Best of luck to all who have overcome and found ways to slow, reduce or eradicate knee pain.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Mudcat

Addicted to Softballfans
I’ve tried a lot of stuff, wraps, glucosamine, and joint combo meds and none seemed to work on a game to game situation. Sure some relief, but I wanted something that could get me through games or tournament weekends…

I found that this combination works great for me, Naproxen SOD 550mg, Codeine 30mg and rub with a topical Diclofenac 9% in a diffusimax compound. The other stuff gets me through the day to day, but this combination Gets me through the weekends and weekday games, maybe not the best for some, but when you’re waiting on the replacement and refuse to give up the game we all love it work well with no after affects yet, 7 years using it.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
I have osteoarthritis and have had 4 knee scopes and no remaining medial meniscus cartilage between my upper and lower leg bones. I've taken glucosamine/chondroitin and ibuprofen for over 15 years, plus Vioxx and Celebrex along the way. I'm now convinced the g/c did nothing beneficial, but the NSAIDs (ibuprofen and Naproxen/Aleve) helped a lot ... as did wearing Neoprene knee sleeves.

Last summer my knees were killing me (10 games/ week in the OF) and Cortisone shots didn't help. 2 months later I got SynVisc One shots (single shot each knee, hylauranic acid) and 3 weeks later the pain subsided and I could play and run normally. Now, 5 months after the SynVisc injections, the pain is coming back. I was told I can do more injections every 6 months. We'll see.

Knee replacement surgery would be the next step, but I want to postpone that until my ball-playing days are (almost) over. High-impact running loosens the cement used on implants over a long period of time, and the "revision" surgery to re-do them is more of an ordeal than the initial replacement.

Last edited:

Gunsmoke

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm with you BigShep.

I've found Aleve absolutely useless for me. I snap constantly in my left leg and it seems my circulation is getting worse and worse in both feet. Runs in the family so I'm afraid diabetes may be inevitable. Damn.

As for the knee I'll continue using NSAIDs until they don't work anymore then probably get a Synvisc One injection. Looks like BCBS actually covers this!!!!!! Hoping upon hope.

puckdropper

Addicted to Softballfans
I have had 2 scopes on my left knee and the injections done twice. The injections help, but the more you use them the shorter is is effective. I have tried with success is Blue Emu. It is sold by Wal-Mart for $12. It works on arthitic knees as well as muscle aches.

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
Big shep,

Back up and read my post. You and I had the same problems and I had to take the next step which was a double knee replacement. I played all last year,
Mostly at 3 rd base and some outfield duties. As of now I can run better than I did 15 years ago. The surgery was a complete success only because I busted my azz to rehab them correctly . I am only 47 and I have another 20 years of ball ahead of me. The dbl knee replacement for me was the bet thing I could have done because like you I had failed everything else.
Some people don't do well with the knee replacements and most people that get a dbl kee replacement at the same time have an even tougher time of rehabbing their Kees back to where they need to be. It's all about stretching and getting those knees back to 90 plus degrees. I have more flexibility now in my knees than I had 20 years ago. When I move back home this spring I will play ball 3 nights per week and 2-3 pick up hockey games per week. Get those knees done and your life will just begin, take advantage of today's technology with knee replacements. Good luck.

I never had a lot of luck with gluc/condroitin, but I don't think I ever gave it enough time as it is supposed to take a while to have an effect and I wasn't patient enough. If after a couple of weeks and I'm not feeling any different then I pretty much think it isn't working. I use lots of acetaminophen (can't use Ibuprofen due to blood thinner) and it helps some with the pain.

Not over the counter and not covered by a lot of insurance... but I was prescribed Enbrel injections for psoriasis. It is also used for arthritis and the effect it has on the joints is fantastic (an added bonus that I think now is almost more beneficial than the psoriasis treatment). I used to have foot and joint pain and it really helps a lot.