Knee Replacement

Hawkeye92

OG Midget Mafia
I’m getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on TKR but worried that it will be the end of my softball career. Has any personally had or played with guys who have had total knee replacement?
If so, how was the performance after the surgery vs before?

I’m just tired of being in pain all the time now during softball season :(

BruceinGa

always online
I play with several that have had one or both knees replaced. Most are able to run better than they did 5 years ago. There are a couple that still can't run well.
How old are you?

LT44

Addicted to Softballfans
I've had both a TKR (left knee, 2004) and 15 years later TKR Revision (Dec 2019). I have played 1000+ games on my knee. The key is complete recovery, and max range of motion. I am completely recovered and running again. I have not played since my revision but plan on playing 65's in November 2020.

KAPTHAT

AREA LEGEND
i had one done last winter and getting the other one done this winter
keep rehabbing it well after your sessions are done..i still rehab and ice it and
had mine done last november.it feels better than my "good knee"

Getting mri Wednesday back to doc on fday meniscus surgery didn’t work my knee aches all the time bone on bone now pretty sure he’s gonna say total knee replacement hopefully get to play again

BradleyScheirer

Addicted to Softballfans
Getting mri Wednesday back to doc on fday meniscus surgery didn’t work my knee aches all the time bone on bone now pretty sure he’s gonna say total knee replacement hopefully get to play again
I was bone on bone, but inner knees, I did both knees in 2014, partials though. Doc said when he went in and if the right knee was to bad he would do a full.

desperados

Addicted to Softballfans
to those who have had knee replacement, how long was absence from work? Would anyone who did one at a time do both if they could do it over again?

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
If both knees need to be replaced I would ask them to do them at the same time.

My pops has both his replaced 5 or 6 years ago at the same time. The rehab is pretty much the same process for the single as it is for the double but it cuts down on rehab because you're only doing it once. So his downtime was 2 or 3 months instead of 4 to 6 months in total.

Only issue he has was his doctor clipped his MCL on one of his legs but it healed fully and was glad he did them at the same time. My uncle did them at different times and he regretted it.

If both knees need to be replaced I would ask them to do them at the same time.

My pops has both his replaced 5 or 6 years ago at the same time. The rehab is pretty much the same process for the single as it is for the double but it cuts down on rehab because you're only doing it once. So his downtime was 2 or 3 months instead of 4 to 6 months in total.

Only issue he has was his doctor clipped his MCL on one of his legs but it healed fully and was glad he did them at the same time. My uncle did them at different times and he regretted it.
Makes sense to me

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
When I first came back after about 4 months, I switched from being an outfielder to first base. My league allows a runner from home when justified so I took advantage of that during the first season. I was fairly fast before the issues set in and was usually a designated runner. I've obviously slowed down since the surgery and have occasionally legged out a few triples. I've also turned quite a few triples into doubles when the risk didn't didn't match the benefit.

Today I’m under 250 but not much 244 just had tkr 5 weeks ago hopefully I can play again in April that surgery is no joke first 2 weeks were rough I guess that’s the price you pay sometimes I noticed playing tournament ball not a lot of heavier guys especially 65 group

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just turned 45, but that wasn't lost on me either. I'm going to really need to start working on that aspect before it gets too late.

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
ive had both TKR done 11 years ago at the same time im turning 56 this month . Ive played the last 6 years nothing but 50 major plus softball and I play 2-3 times a week with the young guys and up till last march was skating in pick up hockey league twice a week also -
the key is to do your rehab the right way and stay active and keep moving and keep your weight down.
I had 7 previous surgeries prior to my TKR so to me the pain was nothing new - but to have a dbl knee replacement - that was a new pain and a ****ing challenging rehab not many could do I can attest to that - but it was the best thing for me and it saved me as I am free of my daily pain. sure I get some uncomfortable days - but those are far and few between. Plus the technology now from 11 years ago- you a stamp ahead of me big time - get it done -- now its one one rehab and then the next knee etc. good luck.

Ken07

DeMarini/Wilson Sports Senior Pro
You know when you need it finally. Im getting first one Jan.5th. 66yrs. 280lbs. Had 3 surgeries on each for cartilage, no acl in either knee.. In 50s felt good with lifting and biking only.., around 60 needed ibuprfen then indomethician ...finally at 65 nothing helped and no longer had any good days...am trying to get on with next chapter of my life 250 or below.., Thank god others were the pioneers for this!

ive had both TKR done 11 years ago at the same time im turning 56 this month . Ive played the last 6 years nothing but 50 major plus softball and I play 2-3 times a week with the young guys and up till last march was skating in pick up hockey league twice a week also -
the key is to do your rehab the right way and stay active and keep moving and keep your weight down.
I had 7 previous surgeries prior to my TKR so to me the pain was nothing new - but to have a dbl knee replacement - that was a new pain and a ****ing challenging rehab not many could do I can attest to that - but it was the best thing for me and it saved me as I am free of my daily pain. sure I get some uncomfortable days - but those are far and few between. Plus the technology now from 11 years ago- you a stamp ahead of me big time - get it done -- now its one one rehab and then the next knee etc. good luck.
Good to hear u was pretty young to have that surgery pretty sure u can hit it how does it feel to run right now I can’t 7 weeks post op

Playr4

Coach
Had a medial meniscus tear. Had the meniscus removed. 6 months later, bone on bone. Had a half total knee replacement. Called a makoplasty partial knee replacement. All is good. Big thing during recovery is physical therapy, stretching, and range of motion exercises. Range of exercises and stretching is key when your physical therapy is over. Im 6'1, 215. Post op for 4 years now. No problems. Still squat 315 for reps. The only exercise the physical therapist told me not to do is the seated leg extensions. Even when my knee was healthy and I was young. Ive been told by trainers and have read to never to do that exercise. Worst one for the knees.

Had knee surgery doc said no knee extension exercises didn’t ask him why leg press okay then he said he didn’t want me to play softball for a year I was thinking 6 months I had tkr anybody play before a year