Knuckling HR

Mark1980

Manager
I really don't remember seeing this before, I know I sure as hell have never done it before. But in fall ball the other night I get a pitch inner half and put maybe the best swing on a ball I ever have, felt great. Screaming liner off the bat, I watch it fly for a split second and see its knuckling, its just dancing all over the place, but looks like it might burn the LF. I put my head down and hustle out of the box. As I start to make my turn to round first the guy coaching first says it gone, I stopped and was like really? I didnt believe him, then hear umpire saying somebody get that ball. Every knuckler I have ever hit dances around and usually shoots down to the ground in front of the OFer. In all the years of games and 1000s and 1000s of BP hits never seen a knuckler carry over the fence like that. Of course I suck balls and that was the first HR for me since May, so I dont really have lots of HR experience usually 2-3 year 5 this year (started out hot lol). I'm sure the big upper level mashers hit knucklers over the fence on the reg, but for my league scrub ass I am left wondering how in the hell did that ball make it over the fence, anyone ever see a knuckler shoot up instead of down or to the side?

Nape012

Addicted to Softballfans
Seen it multiple times. Not uncommon around these parts...

What kind of balls were you hitting?

Mark1980

Manager
New ball?

??

League provided NSA ball, pretty sure it was a Dudley. It was the bottom of the first, counting other team hitting I may have been the 8-10th person to hit that ball, so yeah it pretty new. Temp was probably 70-75 Bat was my well broken in 3 year old recoil with 1000s of cuts lol.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
Splendid whirl, chap.

But there's really no such thing as a knuckleball, it's only in your mind that it's darting around.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
I hope your joking.

Well, I had it on good authority that knuckleballs really do move, but I was talked down off of that concept here on sbf many times in recent months. People seemed pretty convinced of it, so I conceded. Turns out they were right, there really is no such thing. :rolleyes:

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
I caught a screaming knuckling liner about 10' off the fence (300') and just about broke my rib with my elbow adjusting to catch it.

Darracq

I hit one when the grey ultra maxload was leagal. That thing was moving 10 feet right to left that is no bs and it went out 3/4 up the lights. Thats one that sticks out to me.

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
Stool Bory Cro!
I just got through hitting bp and i hit some knucklers, or no spinning balls, off a tee. Never hit one out that way though.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
I hit one when the grey ultra maxload was leagal. That thing was moving 10 feet right to left that is no bs and it went out 3/4 up the lights. Thats one that sticks out to me.

That was just a tornado bro.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
I saw a few when the Ultras were legal, and more recently with some big guys. I hit the fence with a knuckler off my Craze, which is close enough with my WTP.

Pylon #00

Bad Mother****er

I hit a few of those with the original ML Ultra as well..... none since.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I've seen quite a few of these and hit a few myself. The thing is..........All that ball really has to do is be hit really hard and have one rotation back instead of over the top and to the side at the right time and it ends up going a long way...One rotation over the top it dives.....One to the side it darts....One to the back and it stays up and carries out.

HrBump13

Addicted to Softballfans
I have hit some hard shots that knuckle but I can't remember any of those leaving the yard. Just made a few OFs look silly. All of my HRs have back spin on them.

Mark1980

Manager
I've seen quite a few of these and hit a few myself. The thing is..........All that ball really has to do is be hit really hard and have one rotation back instead of over the top and to the side at the right time and it ends up going a long way...One rotation over the top it dives.....One to the side it darts....One to the back and it stays up and carries out.

Thats what I was thinking, suppose its really the only logical explanation, seams catch the air just right and a couple rotations of backspin before it started falling to the ground kept it in the air long enough to sneak it over the fence. The glance I had of the ball it was maybe 20 feet or so off the ground and looked like it was fluttering around in small circles, wasnt tailing off in one direction or the other.

Mark1980

Manager
Folks saying they've only seen big dudes do it, I am fairly big strong guy, 6'1" 230, When I get on a hot streak I can look a lot better than I really am lol, I get maybe 1 or 2 short streaks a year it seems where I am dialed in and look like a baller lol, just ridiculously lack any sort of consistency. Started off the year pretty good this year, hit 2 HRs in a game for the first time, hit 3 in 3 games lol, that is usually my entire season's output. Over the winter had been working out, lost a bunch of weight and was playing quite a bit with an E team and taking BP twice a week, thought my softball career was about to turn a corner lol. Then coaching my boy's team, daughters softball, then they both played All Stars traveling all over the state (daughter's team won 8u state), summer was over and all the hacks I was taking was in my 1 summer league game a week. Had a chance for my first BP since April/May this last week and found one of my hot streaks lol.

Not to mention the bat I hit it with may very well be about as hot as an Ultra lol. My three year old 30oz Recoil tank that 3 or 4 guys have been using all along for every single game and BP session, countless hits on that thing, it just keeps going and going.

Last edited:

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i'd never seen one knuckle up until yesterday in bp. it didn't make the fence but caught my eye nonetheless

g8orguy

Addicted to Softballfans
Not even gonna bother to hide the brag post? Jk. Congrats. I hope I can hit one like that one day.

b#7

CAPN MORGAN
I really don't remember seeing this before, I know I sure as hell have never done it before. But in fall ball the other night I get a pitch inner half and put maybe the best swing on a ball I ever have, felt great. Screaming liner off the bat, I watch it fly for a split second and see its knuckling, its just dancing all over the place, but looks like it might burn the LF. I put my head down and hustle out of the box. As I start to make my turn to round first the guy coaching first says it gone, I stopped and was like really? I didnt believe him, then hear umpire saying somebody get that ball. Every knuckler I have ever hit dances around and usually shoots down to the ground in front of the OFer. In all the years of games and 1000s and 1000s of BP hits never seen a knuckler carry over the fence like that. Of course I suck balls and that was the first HR for me since May, so I dont really have lots of HR experience usually 2-3 year 5 this year (started out hot lol). I'm sure the big upper level mashers hit knucklers over the fence on the reg, but for my league scrub ass I am left wondering how in the hell did that ball make it over the fence, anyone ever see a knuckler shoot up instead of down or to the side?

HR derby Launch 650 balls and an Ultra II. I didn't know if it was going to get over the fence b/c it was knuckling so much.