ASA Lineup for Rain Suspended Game

SoftballMomma79

Our recent league game was suspended halfway through the 3rd inning for rain. Our by laws state that if 2 innings have been completed, we resume the game at exactly the same point that it left off. That we all understand and agree upon.

The question comes with the lineups. The home team used their own 10 players. The away team has 12 players but 2 of their normal players were unable to make the game, so 9 players were used with a call up from a younger division, to make 10.

The discussion is now, do those same players need to play the game for it to continue as it was never stopped? The home coach feels that the same girls should be used, as we are supposed to continue as we left off. The away coach feels that he should be able to delete the call up and use his 12 normal players, if they are all available. One could swap out for the call up, but the other would need to be added to the batting order.

Our bylaws do not address this issue, and I am struggling to find the answer. I want to have the correct answer for these teams, and I am sure that with all of this rain, it won't be the only game suspended. Thank you in advance

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Barring any local rules that say otherwise...

It does not matter how long a game was delayed - whether it’s delayed for 30 minutes, or 30 days. When you pick up where you left off, you pick up where you left off.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Our recent league game was suspended halfway through the 3rd inning for rain. Our by laws state that if 2 innings have been completed, we resume the game at exactly the same point that it left off. That we all understand and agree upon.

The question comes with the lineups. The home team used their own 10 players. The away team has 12 players but 2 of their normal players were unable to make the game, so 9 players were used with a call up from a younger division, to make 10.

The discussion is now, do those same players need to play the game for it to continue as it was never stopped? The home coach feels that the same girls should be used, as we are supposed to continue as we left off. The away coach feels that he should be able to delete the call up and use his 12 normal players, if they are all available. One could swap out for the call up, but the other would need to be added to the batting order.

Our bylaws do not address this issue, and I am struggling to find the answer. I want to have the correct answer for these teams, and I am sure that with all of this rain, it won't be the only game suspended. Thank you in advance

The newer players are substitutes for those they are replacing. If a team is short a player, they can continue under the shorthand rules

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Isn't the rule that all available players need to be listed on the lineup card before the game? With that you would be required to use only those players listed.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Isn't the rule that all available players need to be listed on the lineup card before the game? With that you would be required to use only those players listed.
That's not a requirement. As long as they are on the roster, they can be added to the list of available substitutes at any time.