Long drive competitions

the kid

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone have insight on these? I went golfing this weekend, and the guys we got paired up with told me I should get into it. I don't know anything about these contests aside from what I've seen on ESPN. I know there's money to be had if you're great, but there's also a ton of money in equipment and entry fees. I'd like to hear some stuff from people that have been there and if it's worth giving a shot.

I went to the PGA superstore on lunch to check my ball speed. My highest ball speed was 194mph. I was using a Nike Covert driver and was in jeans, and boat shoes without socks, so I was slipping around some.

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
Awesome troll/brag post. You are only 10 mph from the world record. If you put on normal gear you would be the world record holder easy

the kid

Addicted to Softballfans
Awesome troll/brag post. You are only 10 mph from the world record. If you put on normal gear you would be the world record holder easy

Pretty sure the record is around 225. No bragging here, trying to get feedback to see if dropping over a grand on a few clubs and competing is worth it.

jdav08

Not applicable
if you don't have a video posted in an hour you're a bigger douche than average jay

this would be another world record. and watching those long drive competitions is about as exciting as watching home run derbys. drive for show, putt for dough. I can do neither.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
My club head speed was 141 in shoes and slacks....I missed the ball. 0 mph ball speed

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
my drives go 275ish. then we spend about 5-10 minute looking for it until we decide that that ball sitting in the middle of the fairway on the hole to the right is indeed my ball. if i work at it i could pick up that pace to 3-5 minutes.

it takes 3 hours just to get past DC and the **** traffic involved around the capitol and northern virginia, gotta love 95's constant constuction with little to no progress over the last 6 years

Primo

fat and famous pablo
Take a vid and post it.....swing speed is just a part of it. There's a handful of guys on here who will help you but not until they know you're not some ass troll

So take a vid and post it

nam2212

Dr. Nick
Pick up a cheap LD head and shaft and give it a shot. How far do you hit the ball now? What head and shaft are you using when you play? A buddy of mine who is actually a member of this board used to compete in local and regional LD contests. He could hit the ball a ton and keep it in play but never even sniffed top 10 at a regional event.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
If you want serious answer post up in WRX.

Best answer so far. The science of it is in launch angle and spin rate. You also need to keep it on the grid. Attack angle, tee high, loft, shaft flex, there are too many variables to consider.

Pick up a couple of cheap ld clubs and give it a shot at a local qualifier, if you do well you can make your adjustments.

If you have a city golf in your area you can also mess around on their monitor and get some ideas about spin rate launch angle etc so you can decide which setup works best before competition.