Looking at picking up a Vinci

Dugout5

Starting Player
One of the guys I play against is gaming a white 13.5 Vinci. I talked to him a little bit but didn't get much info. He did say it was custom made. It didn't have any mesh but was very light and the leather seemed very soft and buttery if that's a good description? I know nothing about Vinci and I'm having trouble figuring out the models and names etc.. Can anyone give me a run down of the different models or leather types. I see the 22 series, steerhide, custom and the Optimus on the website. I hear they play small? Any info will help. thanks

Cuda13

Addicted to Softballfans
Ditto on the Optimus leather. We have a ton of Vinci's around our house in the various series' but just received our first Optimus glove. The leather is awesome and if I was still playing a lot it's the series I'd go with.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
Are you looking for a 13.5? Smaller? What are you looking to spend?

Some of the gloves play small, some of them are dead on, esp the bigger ones. Depends on the model.

Dugout5

Starting Player
Are you looking for a 13.5? Smaller? What are you looking to spend?

Some of the gloves play small, some of them are dead on, esp the bigger ones. Depends on the model.

I was thinking 13", as that's what i game now. I pitch and play 2B. I really like the white leather. I've tried the rawlings PRO303 and it felt really heavy so i want something light. Not sure if i like the mesh tho. from what I've seen i like the look of the BMB-OB. What is the difference between the 22 series, the steerhide and the custom?

most good leather is 2-300 so i"m ok with that.

Last edited:

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
22/PC Series is 5.5 oz steerhide which is heavier grainier leather but breaks in faster than the limited line; 3-4 color options available (White)
Limited Kip Line - 5-6 oz Kip leather, less grain, dry feel lightweight and durable, many custom color options (white) longer break in time but they have switched back to a thinner plastic insert to help speed in the break in time
Optimus Kip Line - 6.5-7oz grainy kip leather; has a wet supple feel to it. 4-5 color option but not white.
I recommend combining the optimus leather for the palm and limited leather for the back of the glove as you get the benefits of a high quality palm leather without the extra added through the glove with the limited leather on the back of the glove. I often refer this custom glove as a hybrid optimus
]

MaverickAH

Spend the extra money and get the Optimus, you won't regret it.

Ditto on the Optimus leather. We have a ton of Vinci's around our house in the various series' but just received our first Optimus glove. The leather is awesome and if I was still playing a lot it's the series I'd go with.

I don't think that I summarily agree with either of these. Yes, the Optimus is a top notch glove but I don't feel that it's an absolute necessity & the end of the discussion. Vinci's lower series do have value. I have a latest production model Limited Series in the house that I am in the process of breaking in & I'm expecting receipt of a PC Series glove today. I will be doing a formal review of both from several perspectives:
  1. The merits of the gloves individually.
  2. A comparison of the gloves vs. each other.
  3. A comparison of the gloves vs. earlier generations of the same series.
  4. Lastly, how do they hold up against other brands?

wcoastsoftball

These look similar to the old JD73, which I had one of those custom made. I would say it plays true to size, if not bigger one the pocket starts to develop. Mine is a year old and starting to get broken in pretty well (I don't use it regularly), and feel comfortable using it in the infield and the rare occasion I head to the outfield as well.

MaverickAH

http://www.vincipro.com/PC-Series-PCi125-White-12.5-Inch-Fielders-Glove.html

Looking at picking this up...how do they play? True to size or bigger? I'm using a 12in now but want something a little bigger but not something that is going to swallow my hand. Usually play SS or middle/5man

I actually have one & it plays true to size. It measures about 1/8" or so short but because of the pocket depth & the way your hand sits in the glove, it plays big. It's a wide pattern. The interior is roomy as well. I liked it so much that I ordered a custom Optimus using the same pattern (different web though).

Whether or not it's too big for you is subjective. It could also be dependent on exactly what 12" you're currently using. If you're using a P/3B pattern, they tend to have a deeper pocket & a wider pattern. You should be okay. I used an 11.85" glove at SS last year but I have to admit that was cutting it close size-wise for slow pitch. With my team moving up, I needed a new IF glove that gave me more room for error. This was perfect.

Contact me if you're interested in mine. It's just sitting here brand new since I'm going with the custom instead. It's a beautiful looking glove.......

Twiles

The Rookie
I actually have one & it plays true to size. It measures about 1/8" or so short but because of the pocket depth & the way your hand sits in the glove, it plays big. It's a wide pattern. The interior is roomy as well. I liked it so much that I ordered a custom Optimus using the same pattern (different web though).

Whether or not it's too big for you is subjective. It could also be dependent on exactly what 12" you're currently using. If you're using a P/3B pattern, they tend to have a deeper pocket & a wider pattern. You should be okay. I used an 11.85" glove at SS last year but I have to admit that was cutting it close size-wise for slow pitch. With my team moving up, I needed a new IF glove that gave me more room for error. This was perfect.

Contact me if you're interested in mine. It's just sitting here brand new since I'm going with the custom instead. It's a beautiful looking glove.......

Convo started.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I am a big fan of the PC leather, I think unless you are a 4 day a week or every weekend tournament player its an excellent leather for softball gloves. I had a small run of the Walnut PC gloves made and they cam out excellent. I actually use a my walnut PC 13" American style traps as a gamer over my Optimus

Last edited:

Twiles

The Rookie
I am a big fan of the PC leather, I think unless you are a 4 day a week or every weekend tournament player its an excellent leather for softball gloves. I had a small run of the Walnut PC gloves made and they cam out excellent. I actually use a my walnut PC 13" American style traps as a gamer over my Optimus

How does that mesh back hold its form?

Dugout5

Starting Player
Reviews? Curious how the mesh back holds its form compared to the full leather backs.

http://www.vincipro.com/bmb-ob-white-leather-with-black-mesh-back-13-inch.html

I have the same glove with some custom changes. Its been almost a year, glove is just about fully broken in. Mesh is very solid, lightweight and holds its form well. I am very happy with the overall performance and recommend it highly. The glove comes very stiff but has broken into a nice soft buttery leather.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
The Vinci mesh is a closed mesh that does not allow any dust or dirt penetration. Onthe steer hide #22 and PC models it helps maintain shape and rigidity.