Other Loud Music in the dugout

jshell73

Far from Normal
While this could apply to any sanction, it specifically happened last year at ISA Nationals.

The opposing team had a boombox, stereo, radio, what ever you want to call it in their dugout. It was playing music as loud as it would go. The infielders couldn't communicate with each other and it was just plain annoying. And I'm sure that's what they wanted.

We asked the umps if they were breaking any rules and they said there wasn't anything we could do. I was wondering if it couldn't be considered a form of interference. ISA rulebook is pretty broad.

INTERFERENCE- Interference is the act of an offensive player or team member that impedes or confuses a defensive player while attempting to execute a play.

And I don't even know how you'd enforce the rule if it was interference. So how about it? Any of you umpires run into this scenerio before?

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
If I was the ump I would have them turn it down before I would allow a pitch. It not only prevents the defense from communicating, but it can cause all sorts of other problems:
Everyone on the field will have a harder time hearing the calls I make on the field. You can only be so loud as an ump.
It makes it harder for me to communicate with the other umpire.
It's also potentially dangerous if you can't hear the bat make contact w/ the ball. You may not realize it, but the sound the bat makes with the ball gives the fielders a good idea of how hard the ball was hit.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
And if an umps says he can't do anything about it, what about a LD or TD? They should be able to do something if it's that big of a problem.

Roundtrip

Starting Player
While this could apply to any sanction, it specifically happened last year at ISA Nationals.

The opposing team had a boombox, stereo, radio, what ever you want to call it in their dugout. It was playing music as loud as it would go. The infielders couldn't communicate with each other and it was just plain annoying. And I'm sure that's what they wanted.

We asked the umps if they were breaking any rules and they said there wasn't anything we could do. I was wondering if it couldn't be considered a form of interference. ISA rulebook is pretty broad.

INTERFERENCE- Interference is the act of an offensive player or team member that impedes or confuses a defensive player while attempting to execute a play.

And I don't even know how you'd enforce the rule if it was interference. So how about it? Any of you umpires run into this scenerio before?

It depends solely on what song is playing....

Or maybe not! If I happened to be the umpire, It wouldn't have been on. However, I only ump ASA games. I'd have politely (the first time anyway) asked the team to turn it off so we could play softball as that's why we're all here.

putitinplay09

Extra Hitter
so what man sometimes guys want to have a good time and listen to the music . did they turn it off when they took the field they where probaly just playing music you didnt like:eek:

jshell73

Far from Normal
TD said she didn't know of any rule preventing it.

They played Michael Jackson's Thriller album, but that's not the point.

I think the distraction could be seen as a safety issue as well.

Gator275

Addicted to Softballfans
How loud was it? Ive only played against a team with music playing once, had some nice 80's songs on. It was actually nice to have the music until we started losing then it became the most annoying thing ever.

jshell73

Far from Normal
it was so loud you couldn't hear the umps make a call, and the picther and catcher couldn't hear each other without absolutely screaming at the top of their lungs.

TC26

Addicted to Softballfans
"The umps said there was nothing we could do"

(This is ISA after all - what did you expect?)

Too funny

oryansirishpub

No hope remains

Did they moon walk to 1st base on a walk?

Did each hitter only come up with 1 batting glove on?

:D:D:D:D

jloamerex

<font color="#FF0000">tell ur mom hi 4 me</font>
usually when we have a radio.. the umps tell us that if its too loud they will ask us to turn it down so they can hear everyone... its usually NOT a problem at all

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay

Of course it's not in the rule book. Duh!

But if it prevents you from hearing the umpires or each other on the field, then somebody (either the umps or TD/LD) should be able to ask/tell them to turn the music down. Otherwise you're looking at a physical confrontation either from you guys or another team.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Of course it's not in the rule book. Duh!

But if it prevents you from hearing the umpires or each other on the field, then somebody (either the umps or TD/LD) should be able to ask/tell them to turn the music down. Otherwise you're looking at a physical confrontation either from you guys or another team.

In ASA, it is in the rule book. No electronic devices are allowed on the field, and that includes in the dugout.