Lowest compression bat you've seen.....

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Last weekend we played a tourny in CO Springs. This is a sanction (WSL) that doesn't test bats. However, a guy on my team actually has his own USSSA bat tester, so we ran a few bats through it. One guy has an OG Fireflex that everyone knows is a lightning rod. Sure enough, the bat tested at 145. That is obviously WELL below the legal USSSA threshold of 220. The bat is still intact, and it absolutely spits fire.

Anyone else seen any ridiculously low USSSA bat test numbers?

Stuff like what I saw last weekend is why USSSA should probably just mandate 240 bats for all. Granted, USSSA can't really dictate what other sanctions do. Using bats that test at 145 is simply dumb. It cheapens the game, and adds an element of danger for pitchers or infielders. Some of those 220 bats can go super low compression before they break.

Normy

I'm an ASA only guy and our league does bat testing(thank God). A guy ahead of me in the testing line had a Miken Freak Platinum that must have been tampered with. It blew a super low number and the owner tried playing dumb but obviously knew about it. No sticker was given and hopefully it stays in the BP only category. I agree, the infielders deserve a league who is strict about bat testing.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Plz excuse my ignorance but this is somewhat confusing to me, I've read on several occasions that some if not all of the 240 bats break-in and fail faster than some of the 220 bats 🤔

Redsfan

The faster your bat fails the faster you have to buy another one. Greedy bat companies are part of the problem. Instant gratification of the consumer is the other half of the problem.
Plz excuse my ignorance but this is somewhat confusing to me, I've read on several occasions that some if not all of the 240 bats break-in and fail faster than some of the 220 bats 🤔

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anarchy, for example, has 240 bats that break in much faster than their 220 bats of old. They break in and fail faster with fewer swings.

None of this matters if your league doesn't test. If I wanted a bat, like TW mentions, that is failing and spitting fire, I'd buy something like the new 240 Anarchys or Eastons.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Anarchy, for example, has 240 bats that break in much faster than their 220 bats of old. They break in and fail faster with fewer swings.

None of this matters if your league doesn't test. If I wanted a bat, like TW mentions, that is failing and spitting fire, I'd buy something like the new 240 Anarchys or Eastons.
I understand, just saying it's all very stupid imo

dunkky

I'm an ASA only guy and our league does bat testing(thank God). A guy ahead of me in the testing line had a Miken Freak Platinum that must have been tampered with. It blew a super low number and the owner tried playing dumb but obviously knew about it. No sticker was given and hopefully it stays in the BP only category. I agree, the infielders deserve a league who is strict about bat testing.
our league does the same.. but i think it's meaningless, that sticker can be easily taken off and put it on to another shaved bat. people don't care. it's profit driven society we living in where money is the most top priority in the chain...

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Our league tests each session to ensure legal bats, umps check before every game, now I’ve seen people test one bat and pull out the same bat that hasn’t been tested and try to use it, but most of the teams/ catcher will call it out, not always, they place the stickers in the same place on all the bats, but the asa/usa sticker can’t be removed and used on another bat, it’s a 2 part halo gram sticker that separates as you pull it off, not sure what sticker your league uses

dunkky

Our league tests each session to ensure legal bats, umps check before every game, now I’ve seen people test one bat and pull out the same bat that hasn’t been tested and try to use it, but most of the teams/ catcher will call it out, not always, they place the stickers in the same place on all the bats, but the asa/usa sticker can’t be removed and used on another bat, it’s a 2 part halo gram sticker that separates as you pull it off, not sure what sticker your league uses
it's a league sticker, they also check asa/usa stamp. they only check before the season starts and that sticker is good for a whole season. that league sticker comes completely off very easily.

trippy1313

Starting Player
I've never had to have a bat tested. I don't even have a clue what my bats would test at either. I only play league but I am curious what they're all at.

I even thought about buying one, but had no clue the testers are like $1300!!! They look like a really simple contraption.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

240 bats definitely break in and fail faster than 220s. It's a scam. Most 240 bats out there won't last 100 swings before failing compression.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand, just saying it's all very stupid imo
I don't know what I find more stupid though.

All associations have struggled at this, but I think asa has done the best job imo

I think I'm currently at, the dumbest thing is I can't swing my 220 in an event that requires 240 if it tests at 245. Proving that it's the stamp and not the standard, which makes it a blatant money grab.

These standards are supposed to protect us from injury, and them from lawsuit, and these sure to do neither. I can't see any judge or jury hearing this history and feeling like utrip has done anything in this process for safety or fair play.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think utrip is going to have to mandate testing or pitching screens for leagues. They've made their situation worse instead of better from a safety standpoint. There are going to be so many more league bats testing below 220 than ever before. I also think certain companies are focusing on this market, or at least making models for this market. There are too many bats being made that barely pass out of the wrapper.

If you played before the thumbprint, you realize what a joke this all is. We'd have to take bp, hundreds if not thousands of swings with a bat, to get it where bats come out of the wrapper today. So guys cheated to shorten that process, and they thought yof the bats were hot immediately they wouldn't cheat. How stupid. Not only do the bat companies do everything they can to appear to be the hottest, but guys are doing as much now as they did in the past to gain an advantage now if there's no testing.

I played in a world last year where they came around and tested at random. They went to the dugout and asked for a bat or two to test. All you have to do is have a passing bat in your dugout to completely undermine their entire program. It's insane.

dunkky

we are to be blamed... bat companies just go with flow for their profit. no consumer, no supplier, period. we want the hottest bat immediately and this is the result. no company will turn down more profit. We are dumb, not them. I am glad I am not a conference player.. lol I ain't buying bats every week.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
We deserve the blame for them being hot out of the wrapper for sure, but not the standards. They're taking our sanctioning money ever year and claiming to be trying to administrate the game on our behalf. I'm talking no blame for these constantly changing standards.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I don't know what I find more stupid though.

All associations have struggled at this, but I think asa has done the best job imo

I think I'm currently at, the dumbest thing is I can't swing my 220 in an event that requires 240 if it tests at 245. Proving that it's the stamp and not the standard, which makes it a blatant money grab.

These standards are supposed to protect us from injury, and them from lawsuit, and these sure to do neither. I can't see any judge or jury hearing this history and feeling like utrip has done anything in this process for safety or fair play.

USSSA should just go to .52 300 balls like ASA did. I know we had this discussion on another thread, and someone mentioned that USSSA won't do this merely for the fact that they want to be different.

.52 balls make bat compression MUCH less of a factor. I have no clue if ASA even tests for big events. I know their bats are made differently, so USSSA testing numbers are probably irrelevant.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
One other thought about things.... I played a USSSA tourny last weekend. Bring your own ball. Most teams brought ZN Pro Ms. These balls have been known to be sketchy in terms of performance, and Saturday was no exception. On a 96 degree day, ZN Pro Ms sounded like Nerf, felt like Nerf, and flew like crap. I saw tons and tons of balls that should have been long HRs, but they didn't even come close. These current Pro Ms are simply terrible balls, and they're WAY worse than the ZN classic Ms they replaced a few years ago.

ZN Pro Ms can vary widely from batch to batch. I've seen everything from very good balls, to the worst balls I've ever hit.

My team brought out Tattoo Pro Ms. These balls seem to be somewhat uncommon and hard to find. They are LIGHT YEARS better than ZN Pro Ms. Much crisper off the bat, and they don't die in the heat.

If USSSA continues to use such lousy balls it'll just make people try to cheat more. At this point, every C and above team in CO has to get their bats tested before every USSSA tourny. C teams are still allowed to use 220 bats, but B teams have to use 240s. I know some 240 bats aren't great, but the real problem right now is the ball. No one can hit these marshmallows, and now all the B teams complain that C teams still get to swing 220s.

BTW, the difference in distance between a Tattoo and ZN Pro M is at least 50'. It's startling how bad one ball is, while the other is outstanding.

Hiltz

Built for comfort

I think the dumbest thing is changing the pass/fail to 240 but still grandfathering old bats and testing them to the old standard. Not sure if USSSA tournaments do this but here in Canada that's what's happening under SPN.

You could go to a tested tourney, have your new stamp fail at 239 but someone else could have an old stamp pass at 221

dunkky

regardless how we analyze this, it comes down to two elements of business. all these are not NON-PROFIT ORGs. there's consumer and there's supplier to make money.. rest is all BS process/method/means, whatever u wanna call it. Doing the right thing is not supplier's priority, period. so how do we fix it??? only one way and you all know it.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Doing the right thing is not supplier's priority, period.

Brian Wegman has been a paid Easton employee for 10+ years, has had signature model bats since like 2012, and is the Chief Operating Officer at USSSA. He's just one example of many people who are paid to work for a bat company and also have a job within USSSA.

It's not suppliers vs the USSSA, the suppliers ARE the USSSA.

dunkky

Brian Wegman has been a paid Easton employee for 10+ years, has had signature model bats since like 2012, and is the Chief Operating Officer at USSSA. He's just one example of many people who are paid to work for a bat company and also have a job within USSSA.

It's not suppliers vs the USSSA, the suppliers ARE the USSSA.
yeap.. suppliers includes all those get benefit in financial form in damn softball industry chain.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Almost everyone at utrip is. Dedonatis had a worth, and on and on. I'm sure the same is true for usa, Helmer was a big wig a few years ago.

I'd love to play something else, but my team doesn't play wsl or one nation.

Speaking of the balls, they restrict what company you can even use here when production is on time. We can't use anything than some zns and worth balls.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Almost everyone at utrip is. Dedonatis had a worth, and on and on. I'm sure the same is true for usa, Helmer was a big wig a few years ago.

I'd love to play something else, but my team doesn't play wsl or one nation.

Speaking of the balls, they restrict what company you can even use here when production is on time. We can't use anything than some zns and worth balls.

Lame. Here, you can bring any Pro M you want, regardless of brand. I see Dudley, Worth, Demarini, and AD Starr Tattoos. The Tattoos and Demarinis seem to be the best. Worths have been really hit or miss.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lame. Here, you can bring any Pro M you want, regardless of brand. I see Dudley, Worth, Demarini, and AD Starr Tattoos. The Tattoos and Demarinis seem to be the best. Worths have been really hit or miss.
2019 or so it wasn't a big deal because the gold dot extreme gsl balls were insane. It still annoyed me that they would say a legal ball wasn't legal in their tournaments.

With COVID, and balls being extremely hard to get, they had to open it up, and now we can pretty much hit any gsl or utrip in either association. I'm finally getting use out of my ransoms.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
someone needs to make a sanction that uses ASA bats and balls but has one nation/gsl rules. So you still get your 5-10 arc, juking, you get a DHH and the balls fly good and far but aren’t ridiculous speeds where the infielders don’t have a chance to move.