Major World Series bat testing

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
This got posted by USSSA today. There are going to be a lot of bats getting cut open next week.

Attachments

• Battesting.jpg
    Battesting.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 46

longball101

Part Time Player
Very interesting....need to get that bat right to the limit pre-tourny, then might have a chance to get a free one at the end...lol

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
What I fail to see is why major guys are so concerned with their bats being right at the pass/fail mark for this tourny. They hit stadium balls. I played in Viera last year with stadium balls on the full sized fields using bats that tested at 250 or above. I had no problems hitting balls out. If I can hit them out, so can they. I'm also not on roids like half of them are.:rolleyes:

I don't feel sorry for any guy there who gets their bats cut open because they fail compression. Stadiums are hard balls, and you don't need a 220 bat to hit them effectively.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
My FF2 failed the Utrip compression testing after about 75 swings

All the Fireflex models are notorious for failing super quick. They start out under 250 and go down rapidly from there. You can't use them in cold weather, and you absolutely can't BP them.

longball101

Part Time Player
I am assuming that they will mark the bats upon initial testing but wonder if they'll have an official right there to take the bats at the end? I wonder if a lot of bats will disappear all of a sudden

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I am assuming that they will mark the bats upon initial testing but wonder if they'll have an official right there to take the bats at the end? I wonder if a lot of bats will disappear all of a sudden
Once the bats are presented for testing there is no point where the bats are in possession of the players at any time outside the field of play without being very closely watched. After testing they are put into trash cans and held in a secured area until just before that teams game. The umpires or field staff roll the cans onto the field and count the bats to verify the number in the can matches the number written on the can. After every half inning the umpire is supposed to check the bat count of whichever team just finished batting. At the end of the game the umpires check the count again before the cans are wheeled back to the secured holding area. The only time a player can touch the bats in the holding area is under the supervision of an umpire or member of the tournament staff whose only responsibility at that time is to watch the player with the bat.

If a bat is discovered missing during the game, all play stops, the UIC and TD are called over and what happened is figured out. Any player caught taking a bat from the bucket into the dugout can be ejected and suspended. Usually what it is is lower level B or C teams that don't usually play with the buckets that took their bat back into the dugout after popping out. In that case the bat is retested and put back into the bucket.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
My guess it's about proving that none of the top players or teams are swinging glass.
Now I'm wondering if people commented on the massive differences in scoring from day one to day two of a recent event. I'm trying not to go all conspiracy theory here but now I'm curious.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
My FF2 failed the Utrip compression testing after about 75 swings

What I fail to see is why major guys are so concerned with their bats being right at the pass/fail mark for this tourny. They hit stadium balls....

Stadiums are hard balls, and you don't need a 220 bat to hit them effectively.

They could peel the wrapper on a brand new Fire Flex for game #1 and it would be under 220 by the championship game. Zero point in getting a bat right to the pass/fail mark for the start of the tournament.