Make this make sense to me

DirtBag215

I see all the time people talking about bats and saying, “this bat is better for weaker players. Noticed my weaker hitters hitting better than my power hitters with this bat. Etc” how’s that make sense. I get a feel is a thing. But let’s say a weaker hitter and a power hitter both swing a 26oz end load. How’s this bat better for the weaker one if the power hitter mashes? Or is this all just poor insight on stuff?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The theory is that some bats have very soft, flexible walls to give slower swing speeds maximum trampoline effect. But when a stronger player swings it fast, it overflexes and the walls don't rebound back fast enough.

Not sure how much truth there is to this, but I have swung bats in the past that were broken in too much and felt too soft. They felt like they performed worse the harder you swung.

ShortYellowBus

@DirtBag215

First you have to know that newer ASA/USA bats are almost all non-linear, which means there’s technology inside the barrel that affects the way the barrels flex; it can be as simple as a pvc pipe with conventional foam shoved through the center or an elongated barrel that’s been secured to the endcap.

Linear bats don’t have that.

With linear bats, the concept makes absolutely no sense. But non-linear bats changes the way bats perform for different types of swings. Non-linear bats have different passing compression thresholds and the linear bats do not.

@Hiltz is absolutely correct.

The best bat for every swing doesn’t exist.

Last edited:

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
It is not necessarily poor insight, it is moreso personal insight. I see it all around me, mashers mash with any bat including non linear (made for weaker/slower swings) and yes some guys that have no business hitting it 300'+ from time to time, most of those guys tho seem to have a pretty decent sturdy swing in my personal experience.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Some bats really do benefit weaker players. Stuff like Monsta and other brands of double barrel bats cater to those with low bat speed. The harder you swing with bats like that, the worse results you get.

That said, you won't ever see a "weak" hitter succeed with something like a dual stamp Ronin that tests at 325.

A lot of ASA's newer bats I feel like are built for soft swingers. You literally need no batspeed to make the bat drop bombs with .52 balls. When you really gear up and smash a ball with those bats you can feel the walls trampolining to the point they're about to break. You actually LOSE batted ball speed, and the ball comes off at crazy, knuckling angles.

I've noticed the same thing with 220 USSSA bats. The closer the bat gets to 220, the mushier the barrel gets. You start losing pop, and everything starts knuckling.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The theory is that some bats have very soft, flexible walls to give slower swing speeds maximum trampoline effect. But when a stronger player swings it fast, it overflexes and the walls don't rebound back fast enough.

Not sure how much truth there is to this, but I have swung bats in the past that were broken in too much and felt too soft. They felt like they performed worse the harder you swung.

I couldn't sum it up better.