Mat strike zone?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Depends on the size of the mat. In MN they used a mat that was 17inches wide, and came back about three feet from the plate, that wasn't so bad. In WI, they use a mat that is 24 inches wide and 4 feet long. There is no way to set up in WI where you can cover both the front and back edges of the mat.

Hagen49

I'm not a huge fan of it. One of the local tourneys tried to use them to make things easier for the umps, but that lasted about 2 tourneys before players got pissed.

ureout

The Veteran
mat strike zone is much easier to call than a normal strike zone... senior softball uses a 19" X 34.5" mat... the umpire then only has to focus on heighth of pitch.. also if you think you may try it we have found over the years that a wooden mat makes it much easier.. then the pitches in front outer corner of your set up are easier to call because not only do you see it but you can now also hear the ball hit the mat

RNRPLZ

Is a mat strike zone better than an ump? We might use one for our league. Need feedback.
I personally like them for senior play in nationals. All the players completely know and understand if it hits the mat (contingent on height) it’s a strike. The only setback I dislike is veteran pitchers who can throw a slow pitch curve, can actually cross the plate with a perfect strike but miss the mat. Not sure why you stated better than an ump. You still have to have an umpire.

MAT25MAT

Addicted to Softballfans
I have played and used a mat for a league I ran. If you use the champ pro mat it isn’t terrible! It will speed up the games a little because less arguing, but a pitch at max height hits the very back of the mat in the real world wouldn’t be a strike it is when using the mat. Also the plate becomes a strike too!

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I tried to explain an actual strike zone to a team in my city last year. The batters were all for it and the pitchers hated the idea. So many pitches that wouldn't be strikes with a zone that are because of the mat. With the mats we use here, a pitch that hits 6 ft and lands three inches in front of the plate is a strike, and so is the pitch that goes 12ft up and hits the back end of the mat 3.5 ft behind the plate.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The only time a mat is better is if you're self-umping in a rec league like we do here. Eliminates arguing balls and strikes and speeds things up.

If you actually have an umpire, it makes zero sense. 5'3" guys are gonna be swinging at stuff around their eyeballs and the 6'4" guys are gonna be playing t-ball.

dunkky

Depends on UMp, if he is a douche, has no clue about consistency, then yeah mat is much better otherwise ump. MHO.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
An inconsistent ump will be worse with the mat. If he/she can't call a consistent (zone) the mat just adds to it imo.
I see it here every Tuesday and Thursday :)

MAT25MAT

Addicted to Softballfans
There is some disadvantages for good pitchers, they do lose corners! The league I run I use fireman that play in the league as umps, so the mat was good because it was pretty cut and dry. As a hitter I didn’t like it

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The only setback I dislike is veteran pitchers who can throw a slow pitch curve, can actually cross the plate with a perfect strike but miss the mat.

There is some disadvantages for good pitchers, they do lose corners!

You lose strikes that curve and catch a corner of the plate but miss the mat. But you GAIN strikes that miss the plate, curve in, and catch the edge of the mat. So that's really a wash.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You lose strikes that curve and catch a corner of the plate but miss the mat. But you GAIN strikes that miss the plate, curve in, and catch the edge of the mat. So that's really a wash.
Exactly. 99% of the umps here take both of those from me. Stayed in on one side is came around it on the other. I'd rather have a mat to be honest.

The mat is worse than a good ump, but better than a bad ump. Most of the umps here are consistent, but they're consistently conservative and it's dumb. It's freaking underhanded for ****'s sake.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
All the leagues here have gone to mats, largely because they can't find adequate umps who can call balls and strikes without one. Seriously, no one wants to ump league anymore. All the leagues are struggling BADLY to find anyone to do it at all, mat or otherwise.

As a player and an ump I don't have a big problem with mat ball. As long as the ump doesn't allow pitches that are too flat or too high the mat provides a pretty decent strike zone.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I tried to explain an actual strike zone to a team in my city last year. The batters were all for it and the pitchers hated the idea. So many pitches that wouldn't be strikes with a zone that are because of the mat. With the mats we use here, a pitch that hits 6 ft and lands three inches in front of the plate is a strike, and so is the pitch that goes 12ft up and hits the back end of the mat 3.5 ft behind the plate.

Those must be some huge mats. The ones we use are smaller, and you get a pretty honest strike zone. As a batter I don't ever see really egregious strikes because of the mat.

Mat ball is definitely different than regular. As a batter you have to pay attention to pitchers' tendencies. If they're throwing low and short, move up in the box. If they're throwing high and aiming for the back of the mat, move back in the box. You just get used to it after a while.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'm not a huge fan of it. One of the local tourneys tried to use them to make things easier for the umps, but that lasted about 2 tourneys before players got pissed.

SOCO last year. IDK where they got those mats from, but they were TINY! The mats I use in my league are quite a bit larger. They flare out a little beyond the plate, so the pitcher gets the corners.

I remember playing that SOCO crap with the mats. There were like 10 walks a game because of it.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
All the leagues here have gone to mats, largely because they can't find adequate umps who can call balls and strikes without one. Seriously, no one wants to ump league anymore. All the leagues are struggling BADLY to find anyone to do it at all, mat or otherwise.

As a player and an ump I don't have a big problem with mat ball. As long as the ump doesn't allow pitches that are too flat or too high the mat provides a pretty decent strike zone.
These are the issues with umps here. Too flat,too high (as long as it hits mat it's a strike). I don't argue with them i simply point out the strkie zone and move on.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Those must be some huge mats. The ones we use are smaller, and you get a pretty honest strike zone. As a batter I don't ever see really egregious strikes because of the mat.

Our mats extend 3-4" on either side of the plate, and pitches that hit the plate are strikes. It basically adds up to a 2' x 4' strike zone. I personally have no issues with it; I stand up in the box and I'm very comfortable tomahawking eye-level pitches. But shorter guys have issues covering the whole strike zone.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our mats extend 3-4" on either side of the plate, and pitches that hit the plate are strikes. It basically adds up to a 2' x 4' strike zone. I personally have no issues with it; I stand up in the box and I'm very comfortable tomahawking eye-level pitches. But shorter guys have issues covering the whole strike zone.
They're not comfortable covering it, they don't really have an issue doing it. Those guys want it on a tee and ***** about anything else.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
The mats are 5' long and 2' feet wide. There is 3" in front of the plate, the entire plate and then 40" behind it. With a 12' height limit that really isn't called until it's 15. I'm 6'3" and if I set up even with the plate to cover the front edge, I've got no chance to hit anything that gets the back with any kind of height on it. If I set up on the back edge of the box to cover the back part, I can't reach the front of the mat with my bat.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The mats are 5' long and 2' feet wide. There is 3" in front of the plate, the entire plate and then 40" behind it. With a 12' height limit that really isn't called until it's 15. I'm 6'3" and if I set up even with the plate to cover the front edge, I've got no chance to hit anything that gets the back with any kind of height on it. If I set up on the back edge of the box to cover the back part, I can't reach the front of the mat with my bat.

Umps that refuse to enforce height limits are the biggest problem with mat ball. It turns into unlimited arc, and they call anything that hits the mat a strike regardless of of the fact that its 15' or higher.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Umps that refuse to enforce height limits are the biggest problem with mat ball. It turns into unlimited arc, and they call anything that hits the mat a strike regardless of of the fact that its 15' or higher.
That's exactly why I'd welcome it here. Right now we're at 7'-9' even though half the umps think it's 5'-10'. Well, the people that think it's 5 probably call 4'-7'.

ureout

The Veteran

wow 5'X2' ... I don't understand when a league wants to implement something new why they wouldn't check out a organization that has been using mats for years... SSUSA mat size is 19" X 34.5" with a 6' to 12' arc

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
Most league umps around here call "invisible mat ball" anyways..... you know, check to see where the ball hits behind the plate before making up their mind if it was a strike or not with no regard to where the ball crossed the plate. Even had one ump draw a line about 3' behind the plate and said anything that hits near there is a strike.

defos

Most league umps around here call "invisible mat ball" anyways..... you know, check to see where the ball hits behind the plate before making up their mind if it was a strike or not with no regard to where the ball crossed the plate. Even had one ump draw a line about 3' behind the plate and said anything that hits near there is a strike.

Same here

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans

That makes me insane. Worse, the **** players who can't be bothered to know what a strike zone is are always pointing to where the ball hits, as if that matters in the least. WHERE IT CROSSES THE PLATE IDIOTS.

My league went to mat this year, which I just found out. Glad I'm not umpiring, because **** that boring nonsense. Can't wait for those jackasses to get owned by a pitcher that can throw around them and still hit the mat. They are going to cry like Nancy Kerrigan. Delicious **** player tears. OMNOMNOM!

midnight89

Bat Huer
If you have good umps, I’d take the real thing all day long.

If your umps are a complete circus, why not eliminate that variable for frustration.

Nothing around here in GA uses mats, however they were the norm when I was in New Jersey. Most of our unlimited arc leagues in NJ were plate/mat for the zone. As difficult as that can be to cover well with unlimited arc, at least you knew what you had to protect and you’d better figure out how to hit it.