meniscus tear input

Theseaduck

The Veteran
any input on recovery time and pain for normal day to day
#2 input on softball recovery time
I catch and play first with fill ins at 3rd

important info * I have no pain at all with the tear now from day to day on my feet concrete as a shipping and receiving manager....
but I had pain last year playing....enough to wear a brace to help...
I'm a younger guy who plays competitive not church fun....

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
I had surgery last May for what was initially a medial meniscus tear but wound up with a tear in my lateral meniscus as well along with bone spurs to remove. Surgery on a Friday and was on vacation the following week and also work in a warehouse environment. Went back to work with no issues and started PT at the start of week 2. Progressed very well through that and got back to playing 6 weeks post op. I had no real issues getting back to playing and wear a brace, although that is as much mental as it is physical for me. Pain was pretty much gone after the first week or so.

Best of luck to you!

bronx90210

Addicted to Softballfans
My both of my meniscus tears was a little complex. I had to have surgery on the left one and two years later I had a tear on the right one. I was out the game for at least 4 months. Since both my knees were arthritic It took me longer. I didn’t want to rush anything so I ended up staying out literally the entire year. when I tore it each time it pretty much was around June. My biggest issue was getting my full range of motion back. I did therapy three times a week. But I did not trust my knee that’s why took so long for me to get back. I did end up playing a couple of pick up games in the late fall but nothing in a league. For me it was more mental than anything else good luck to you take it slow and be safe

4xtra

Player/Coach
That is a 16 week recovery
and there isnt anything else you can do about it.

If you rush back that recovery time frame will extend.
I tore my left miniscus and it took exactly 16 weeks before it felt much better.

I have also been told this by several personal trainers I know as well.

defos

I suffered a torn meniscus 20 years ago when a runner slammed into the side of my knee. At least that started the tear. It wasn't diagnosed for a year and a half when it got so bad something had to be done. I was working moving offices - furniture, file cabinets, boxes, etc. at the time. Very physical job. I missed 2 weeks playing time, little to no work, but I had a lot of pain. Most of the pain was from the ligaments and tendons that got stretched the wrong way. I was a very active SS back then, playing 3-5 games a week. I wore an elastic knee brace for stability. Eventually the tear got bad enough the torn flap would randomly get into the joint and lock it up for a step or 2. Finally got diagnosed and had surgery a year and a half later after playing almost 2 full seasons after the original injury. My surgery was in late October, so it didn't have any effect on my softball. I was off work for 2 weeks and on light duty for 2-3 weeks after the surgery. I tried to be careful and wore an elastic brace as needed for a long time, but again, that was more due to the stretched ligaments and the like. Didn't keep me from playing softball.

One of my teammates just tore his meniscus playing basketball in January. He's asking some of the same questions you are, OP.

wcoastsoftball

That is a 16 week recovery
and there isnt anything else you can do about it.

If you rush back that recovery time frame will extend.
I tore my left miniscus and it took exactly 16 weeks before it felt much better.

I have also been told this by several personal trainers I know as well.
Again, depends on the severity. A simple repair will be (should be) back under 4 weeks.

defos

Again, depends on the severity. A simple repair will be (should be) back under 4 weeks.

Agreed. I was still having some pain at 4 weeks after surgery. My surgeon said the problem was my job, not my knee. A day or two later the pain was gone for good. If I'd had the surgery sooner, I'm sure the meniscus part of my injury would have healed quicker. Occasionally I'll read about some pro or high end college athlete coming back after just 2 or 3 weeks. Of course they were probably diagnosed and got top notch treatment immediately, besides having a different mental and physical make-up than the average guy.

Had 3 surgeries on my left meniscus. First time at 16. Doctor forced me out of baseball for 6 months. Second one I was stationed in San Diego doctor had me back on ship 3 days after surgery and playing 2 weeks later. Third one was in 2016 in STL. Missed a day of work for surgery and was back to playing after only missing one week. Physical therapy was was a big part of my fittest surgery as I had a lateral tear. Crashed a dirt bike and it tweaked my knee just right. Doctor and physical therapist were extremely focused on me not having pain after. If you go into it with a strong mind you can recover relatively quickly. But it all depends on the type of tear and how severe the tear is.

Be careful I have several meniscus tears no big deal but the last one I had after surgery it felt better then it didn’t went back had another mri bone on bone now need knee replacement surgery I’m a senior baller