Metal bats......A thing of the past?

Dan Schneider

The 50's Club
Ever since about 2005, composite bats have ruled the softball world. Does anyone still swing metal bats on a consistent basis? I still do more so for the gratification & metal bats were "it" when I first started playing in 1988. I'm sure, I'm in the minority half on this subject.

Dan411

Star Player
I doubt anyone would unless it was required as part of a metal-only league. That being said, I still have my first softball bat, which is metal.

trip

stfu
i'll swing metal once july rolls around. balls turn to **** when it's hot and metal bats kill socks

mike88047

Extra Hitter
I swing metal during BP because its cheap and it makes you work on being a better hitter because you have to hit the ball squarely to drive it. Some of the people on my Coed team swing metal over composite and only god knows why because we have composite bats and everyone can use them. The biggest advantage is that they are dirt cheap and last FOREVER.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I can think of 1 guy that consistently swings metal, same EST he's been using forever and still does fine with it. I'd love to just swing Ultimate Weapons everywhere I go cause I think they perform well enough, problem is they won't stay round long enough to be cheaper than a composite bat. When 52's are everywhere I'll consider metal or even just go wood.

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
Filled in last night for a team, Ball was mush. The guy swinging a old LS metal bat was hitting the ball almost as hard as everyone.

And he was a gump..... Go figure. I might pick up a old F2 or EST for days like that.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
I swing metal during BP because its cheap and it makes you work on being a better hitter because you have to hit the ball squarely to drive it. Some of the people on my Coed team swing metal over composite and only god knows why because we have composite bats and everyone can use them. The biggest advantage is that they are dirt cheap and last FOREVER.

Unless its a 97 DDW, PST, pr Anderson CK...................take the metal bats out of the dugout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy Shasta this pisses me off! I gotta guy right now that refuses to use anything other than a Demarini Uprising he got on clearance. dude hits to the fence and say...see, see! And you said this bat sucks.
Dumbass runs rampant in co-ed

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Filled in last night for a team, Ball was mush. The guy swinging a old LS metal bat was hitting the ball almost as hard as everyone.

And he was a gump..... Go figure. I might pick up a old F2 or EST for days like that.

You watchin me?!!:(:confused:

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
Unless its a 97 DDW, PST, pr Anderson CK...................take the metal bats out of the dugout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy Shasta this pisses me off! I gotta guy right now that refuses to use anything other than a Demarini Uprising he got on clearance. dude hits to the fence and say...see, see! And you said this bat sucks.

There's an old guy on my church team who won't use anything but his 90's Worth Powercell. That bat was hot 20 years ago and it's still hot today, dangit.

This guy has zero power so I don't think a different bat would help him anyway.

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
Im serious... I dont think the composite bats hit some balls well.
Who has a f2 or worth ws23 est 15" shell?

redneck1991

Addicted to Softballfans
I cant get the feel of a composite bat. I use a cv12 right now because it is metal outside composite core but honestly I still have my est and use it on occasion. The 52 core balls are bringing my bats back to life for sure and I would love to go back to my est and blue dots as I like the feel of metal. I would love to have played bat in the days of wood bats myself.

I keep around a c-core, a dan smith redline, a Doug Rob. powerdome tps, a Grover MVP, a time machine minty 05 hammer, a 18.5 oz. c--core for my 2 yr old daughter next yr, a 38 oz. Louisville B53, and a sc888 connexion because you never know what's gunna happen next anymore

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I think the Ultimate Weapon is still good, just doesn't last against hard balls. I actually waved one with only a few hits on 52's but it still may have lasted a good long time, I didn't hit it that much as it was a coed team bat.

rainbow warrior

Addicted to Softballfans
I use exclusively a Demarini White Steel, as I hit consistently with it. Always have. Maybe from the old baseball days in the '90s when we swung heavy bats. Just can't get used to composite 26 oz bats.......cannot for the life of me hit consistently with a composite bat. Love to see some of these pu$$ies on here man up and swing a metal bat and quit saying "it's not the arrow, it's the indian"....in that case, swing a metal bat and put away your pink or purple Mercy......

MaverickAH

I would say that upwards of 95% of the adult softball played around here is with the DeBeers Clincher F12. I still see a lot of metal. It's almost a waste of money to swing a composite bat.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Really, cause I have a butt plug that costs us an out with his Easton Hammer every at bat.

He swings out of his shoes and can't get it out there any... Easy pop out to shag for the OF.

Wish he would just borrow a comp stick from the fence. "But we swing too light, he wants that 30oz sledge feel"

Idiot. Can't even slap a single.

Prrebel

Addicted to Softballfans
The league I play in only allow the 'Walmart Specials", which are supplied by the league. We do have a couple of 2 piece Worth bats, which are the best of the bunch, but everything has to be aluminium.
Sad part is that when we play tourneys and can use the composites..... we have no idea how to. We either hit a crap load of towering fly balls or line drives that carry all the way to the outfielders.

sleepin4matty

Management Material

That's how I feel about the Demarini Bruiser....shame that was ever manufactured

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Love me those metal bats!
I will bust out my OG Techzilla & my older Rocketech all the time in composite leagues. I can't really hit ones over 300+ ft fences anymore (OG Miken Freak is the only exception) & have found those older Anderson's do a great job for hitting line drive missiles in the gaps.

Bat manufacturers are now putting out $400 bats (****YOU EASTON), and I'm a cheap ass SOB so I have no issues with good ole metal bats.
JJ

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
i know a couple of guys who swing metals. they still allow old stamped bats in my local league. few guys swing EST. they are judy slap type hitters. i know one guy who smashes and if they're out of hr's he uses a single wall nike bat.

now in coed......there are lots of people that still use metal bats they pick up for $40 at fred meyer and walmart.

BlindEarth

Addicted to Softballfans
I would say that upwards of 95% of the adult softball played around here is with the DeBeers Clincher F12. I still see a lot of metal. It's almost a waste of money to swing a composite bat.

Sounds like NYC, I don't know of a single league in NYC that hits anything but Clinchers. I'll swing metal against those as it just sounds better, though I notice no real difference in performance from a composite like many will claim.

Otherwise the only time I've swung metal was in a league that required it(weren't even allowed two piece metals like Raw Steels). We hit SB-12s and every bat felt like it was going to dent.

Dan Schneider

The 50's Club
I started out with the blue & black models from TPS.
Had a couple of Worth EST's. The Gold model with the C555 alloy was awesome!
Lately, I have been using the Anderson Rocketech.

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans
I usually keep my EST or my Gen1x bats in my bag just because. When the **** talking starts I hit with one of those. Mechanics and bat speed will still let you hit homeruns with metal.

Dan Schneider

The 50's Club
Since composites have ruled the softball market, there doesn't seem to be much admiration when someone hits a home run anymore.......like it's almost expected nowadays.

BTW300

Addicted to Softballfans
Since composites have ruled the softball market, there doesn't seem to be much admiration when someone hits a home run anymore.......like it's almost expected nowadays.

How do you like your 15 RT? I read another post that it almost keeps up with the composites.