micro fracture

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
I may be looking at a micro fracture procedure as part of having my knee "scoped" Has anyone out there had this procedure and, if so, what can you tell me about the recovery time .. relative to getting back on a softball field?

crawdaddy

Addicted to Softballfans
Goater,
You will want to ask your Dr. about your recovery for this procedure. If the spot is not that bad it could be worthwhile. A friend of mine had it done a number of years ago and was told not to run if at all possible. They drilled very small holes in the bone (socket) of the joint and the bone bleeding creates a pseudo cartilage in that area of the joint. I was told the new cartilage isn't as good as God makes, but is better than nothing. I'm not sure of the recovery time, my friend was down for about 6 months. Lots of therapy.

Best of luck to you.

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
Crawdaddy,

Thanks for responding. Sounds about like what I was told by the surgeon. When you say that your friend was told not to run ... do you mean not running during recovery or ever again?

Was your friend a softball player and, if so, did he continue to play at a level equal to his pre-surgery level?

seniorss

Addicted to Softballfans
Had it done in the past year. I run fine playing ball, haven't lost any speed. I did try running on a treadmill and that was a mistake, hurt for a couple of weeks. Now I just walk at a fast pace on the highest setting for an incline. No problems. For what it's worth I'll be 60 in February. LOL

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
seniorss ... thanks for the encouraging feedback ... I hope mine goes as well ... I'll be 69 in January

What was your recovery time before you were back on a ball field

1badtrain

Addicted to Softballfans
I have had my right knee done twice already. You're looking at at least six months before you should get back on the field. I came back early after my first and it probably contributed to me needing the second. My knee still swells but I'm able to play through it. My speed has declined a bit but it's probably due to my age (43).

seniorss

Addicted to Softballfans
Well 2 months after the knee surgery I had my shoulder surgery, 4 anchors putting my rotator back on my shoulder and 2 more anchors putting my biceps back on the front. I was out for a year. Tore everything playing in Myrtle Beach in 2013, came back to play in Myrtle Beach in 2014.

floo56

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow! Talk about overcoming adversity...you are a great encouragement my Brada....Aloha, Fabe

crawdaddy

Addicted to Softballfans
Goater,

Sorry for the delay, haven't been on here in a while. My buddy was told to not run anymore. He played a lot of basketball and some softball, but mostly golf now. Sounds like you have received some good feedback on here. I'm going to finish my right knee off and get a replacement before retiring in the next 9 years.

Best of wishes to you.
Crawdaddy

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
crawdaddy ... thanks for the feedback ... I'm certainly not ready to let softball go, so it looks like I need to have some serious discussions with my surgeon, in my pre-surgery get together

good luck in your forthcoming procedures

Spartan 4

The Veteran
I had it done in 2011 along with removal of 60% of my mensicus. I was down for about 4 months but what helped me was doing physical therapy before the surgery.

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
I was given PT by the surgeon but have only been doing it every 3rd day or so ... looks like I need to get in gear daily .. Spartan ... thanks for that observation

mannjo

Extra Hitter
micro surgery

I had this same type surgery in Oct of 2013. I was sixty six. The doctor told me three to four months with intense rehab. I had a great pt person and worked out on my own also. The doctor was right on. I played softball this past year with no ill effect, running good.

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
mannjo .... those are the stories I like to hear ... thanks for the positive bump

mr.augie

Head Ball Coach
@ 9 months is typical rehab time for pro athletes with intense rehab ..the cartilage that grows in is not as strong or durable as the hyaline cartilage it's replacing, so it's susceptible to breakdown again depending on your physiology & how hard you push it

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
Mannjo, 3-4 months is what my doctor initially told me, I did my own physical therapy and was playing ball again in under 4 months. 3 years later on November 1, 2010 I had a dbl knee replacement and the physical therapy and rehab was beyond intense and i was playing ball the last week of April 2011. I was also back to playing hockey 2-3 times per week. I turn 51 this year and still skate 3 times a week and for the upcoming softball season I will be playing ball 4 days per week.
Its all about how you do your rehab , the more you put into it the more you get out of it in the long run.

Goater

Addicted to Softballfans
Turns out it was a moot point ... had surgery today ... the surgeon did the meniscus and the other clean up but skipped the micro fracture because the area impacted by arthritis was too extensive .... he said that I'd likely need a knee replacement in the not too distant future. Here's hoping I can play all the way through 2015