Mid-Level Ankle Support

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
I suffered a very bad ankle sprain two years ago. Thanks to the advice on here, I picked up an ASO EVO for game use last year and my ankle held up like a champ.

I think it's better to the point of not needing as much support now. I was looking for something a bit less bulky, but that will still give me a level of support and prevention that a regular neoprene sleeve can't provide. Kind of a middle ground.

I was looking at things like this that involve a strapping system:
http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/ankle-sleeve-with-compression-wrap-support.aspx

Does anybody have any feedback on this product or similar ones, or have a recommendation that meets what I'm looking for? Thanks in advance.

THE Fez

I used to have extremely weak ankles and have tried all kinds of support braces for ankles. I personally like the lace up braces they don't feel bulky and are flexible. Also easy to adjust for comfort. I use these for when I play basketball. Luckily I don't have to wear them anymore to play softball or baseball unless the OF is terrible.

Ratmoss

The Veteran
I used something similar to this after a sprain about a year ago. It's really just fabric used for compression. No plastic or anything like that for support. A top notch job with an ACE bandage will do the same thing. It sounds like you are probably at the point in your recovery where this would work. I know my ankle would still swell up a bit after any physical activity for a good 6-8 months after the injury. This will help with the swelling.

pnpxtreme

Lights Out Sports
I use the Shock Doctor Ultra Gel Lace Ankle support. I like it a lot more than the Mcdavid because it doesn't have the hard plastic pieces. The sides are gel cushioned. Best support i have found so far.

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
Have you guys tried mobility work for the ankles?

I have. I regularly did an ankle stretching routine I found on the web that hit your ankle from all angles of possible movement. Also did some strengthening exercises I was shown a long time ago by an athletic trainer, for example putting your foot alongside an immovable object and pushing. Dynamic tension? Now my ankles mostly get hit during the mobility portion of Show & Go...such as wall ankle mobs.

It's finally back to normal size and the discoloring at the bottom of my foot is finally gone. Took over a year. Might be mental now more than anything, but I don't want to chance it without some type of support.

And thanks everyone for the product suggestions so far.

ethanan

I suffered a very bad ankle sprain two years ago. Thanks to the advice on here, I picked up an ASO EVO for game use last year and my ankle held up like a champ.

I think it's better to the point of not needing as much support now. I was looking for something a bit less bulky, but that will still give me a level of support and prevention that a regular neoprene sleeve can't provide. Kind of a middle ground.

I was looking at things like this that involve a strapping system:

Does anybody have any feedback on this product or similar ones, or have a recommendation that meets what I'm looking for? Thanks in advance.

I recommend soft ankle compression support. Compared to hard materials, they are more conducive to ankle movement. I tried a variety of methods to place the sprained ankle, which is by far the best method. It changed my ankle pain from continuous dull pain 5 to 2. The material is breathable and very suitable for hot weather.