Miken red Recoil Maxload, doesn't have ASA stamp?

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
Hi. I was umping a church co-ed league game. I saw someone hitting bombs with a red Recoil. So after a few hits by the team, I picked it up and looked for the ASA stamp.

I could not find anything about ASA approval. It is red, looks like the bat in
Miken's website. The one shown at Miken's website has a small ASA stamp near the end. But nothing about ASA on this bat that was used.

I also see the USSSA version of the Recoil is orange color.

I asked the owner of the bat. He says he didn't know, he bought it from the store and thought it would be legal as it has Official Softball.

Was there any red Recoil made that was not ASA?

Thanks.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Are you sure it wasn't worn off? They wear off quick. Crap forethought on Mikens part.

mjross81

Surrounded by estrogen
the stamp probably got worn off. It's the smallest and worst location (near the endcap) in the history of stamps.

msoares2123

Addicted to Softballfans
it is hard to see. it is right next to the end cap painted black. they wear down really easy. asa recoils are red, usssa recoils are orange.

BiggDogg34

Addicted to Softballfans
They tend to wear off real quick. I have a red recoil and it only has a vague outline of the ASA stamp. It is ASA legal.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
For the single guys, go buy some clear nail-polish. Walgreens is open 24 hrs, so you can do it in the middle of the night(for the bashful guys). :D

There are some orange ones with asa decals and stamps. This could have been a red one with the decals that are usually on the orange ones.

mjross81

Surrounded by estrogen
For the single guys, go buy some clear nail-polish. Walgreens is open 24 hrs, so you can do it in the middle of the night(for the bashful guys). :D

clear nail polish is GTG. Keeps the stamp from wearing off too quickly. I'm sure NCASAump will chime in about hos it's technically illegal and considered altering, blah blah blah :D but I've never once had an ump say anything and once it gets dirty, you can't really tell it's been applied anyways.

krunchyfrogg

It's all in the reflexes
it is hard to see. it is right next to the end cap painted black. they wear down really easy. asa recoils are red, usssa recoils are orange.

As said many times already, it wears off quickly.

It`s also a black-only stamp. It doesn`t look like it does on the miken website.

I`ve read about some USSSA Recoils being a dark orange, and being pretty close in color to the red ASA versions.

If the other graphics are worn off as well, the bat is probably ASA, if the graphics look nice and fresh, with no ASA stamps, it`s probably not ASA approved.

Benched02

Addicted to Softballfans
I used to own one, and the only time I had a problem with it was in tournaments. If they couldnt see the ASA stamp it was out. League umps never cared to check for it, its pretty common knowledge down here which is which.

bearski

Addicted to Softballfans
it wears off for 100th time.the orange recoil is darker then a neon orange but i wouldnt call it a dark orange at all.the red recoil is asa.there is no other.

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
As said many times already, it wears off quickly.

It`s also a black-only stamp. It doesn`t look like it does on the miken website.

I`ve read about some USSSA Recoils being a dark orange, and being pretty close in color to the red ASA versions.

If the other graphics are worn off as well, the bat is probably ASA, if the graphics look nice and fresh, with no ASA stamps, it`s probably not ASA approved.

It's a black only stamp, unlike the Miken website? Why does Miken put pic of a bat with white stamp if what's out there is black only?

I did look carefully to see if it looks like something had rubbed off. Didn't look like it. Most of the other graphics were quite good. It looked like a fairly new bat.

I know another person in my old men's slo pitch league has a red coil he said is ASA. I'll take a look next time I see him.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Other than wearing off quickly as others have said its also very small. Any ump worth anything or any knowledgable player really, knows that red is ASA orange is utrip. If any ump seriously throws a red recoil out of an ASA league for no stamp he should be kicked in the nuts

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Other than wearing off quickly as others have said its also very small. Any ump worth anything or any knowledgable player really, knows that red is ASA orange is utrip. If any ump seriously throws a red recoil out of an ASA league for no stamp he should be kicked in the nuts

But rules are rules. No ASA stamp = not ASA legal. Doesn't matter what bat it is.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Did you bother to check for the model #? The red and orange Recoils have different model #s.

I was actually just stopping in to point this out.

If it ends in 'U' (MSRMU/MSRFU) it's the USSSA bat...go figure. ASA models end in 'A' (MSRMA/MSRFA). Convenient, eh?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
clear nail polish is GTG. Keeps the stamp from wearing off too quickly. I'm sure NCASAump will chime in about hos it's technically illegal and considered altering, blah blah blah :D but I've never once had an ump say anything and once it gets dirty, you can't really tell it's been applied anyways.

^^^^^

This.

:D

krunchyfrogg

It's all in the reflexes
Last edited: