Minnesota Thread

wildthing81

I thought Friendly City turned out to be a really good tourney. The competition up there was solid. The umps did a really good job, too.

Seemed like overall it was pretty low scoring, too. I haven't checked out all of the scores yet, though.
I like Demars suggestion on the FCD, especially moving the upper to Sat an Sun. We played Friday night at 7:30pm. Left right from work on Friday had our game got home after 11pm had to be back at the part at 730am, didn't leave the park until 11:30 pm it was a long day. 5 games is alot of games and we played the last 3 back to back to back with the games leading up to the ship being close to 2 hour games with the scores being 25 to 21 and 26 to 25, really we did not have any gas left to play chanticlear in the ship at 9pm and not taking anything away from them because they played well to win the tourney.

DFL

Addicted to Softballfans
I like Demars suggestion on the FCD, especially moving the upper to Sat an Sun. We played Friday night at 7:30pm. Left right from work on Friday had our game got home after 11pm had to be back at the part at 730am, didn't leave the park until 11:30 pm it was a long day. 5 games is alot of games and we played the last 3 back to back to back with the games leading up to the ship being close to 2 hour games with the scores being 25 to 21 and 26 to 25, really we did not have any gas left to play chanticlear in the ship at 9pm and not taking anything away from them because they played well to win the tourney.

Bring more then 10 healthy guys to the tourney and maybe ya won’t run out of gas after playing 5 games!

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
So your squad was able to re-classify an pick up some more tourneys then I assume?

Sort of. Unfortunately, we have to go without Ole but we are sorting that all out. I worked through Pfeff and submitted our C roster for approval. We are losing a B card and our giant ginger was moved from A to B but he has made one tournament so far so we will see if that move even matters. Sitting at two B cards for our C team. The way we are playing we'd go 2-2 in tier 3 firemens... haha

Good run this weekend! Liked seeing that other radio personality Beards pulled in off the street back playing. :)

Bring more then 10 healthy guys to the tourney and maybe ya won’t run out of gas after playing 5 games!

Never. Then there are no decent excuses!

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Five games is a lot, but if it's Saturday/Sunday, you're playing four games on Saturday, probably. Getting there at 8AM and staying until 8 or 9, then coming back in the morning for two or three games. Will that be a lot better on everyone?

I'm also fine with D teams getting all the Friday games. We've played at 6:30 on Friday three of the last four years (twice when it was all open and this year as D only). I enjoy it.

The baseball field idea isn't a good idea, though.

Beauner

Starting Player
Here are the standings after this week. A lot of one point plays this week, with Xtreme, T's and Pollyanna getting 3rd in their respective tourneys.

Thelastsamurai (M&M Construction) - 88
Maximus Decimus (Pollyanna) - 86
Larsl10 (Precision Lining) - 84

Jimbo81 (Arnies) - 82
JMac612 (MN Monitoring) - 78
TSfingrocks (Element Exteriors) - 78
Bl19 (Precision Lining) - 74
MNBaller (Dewey's) - 72

Bell44 (Silverbacks) - 71
Chembry (Horsemen) - 68
Ringer44 (Rampage) - 67
Sjoquist43 (Outdoorsmen) - 64
Yoke (Horsemen) - 60
Chunkers00 (Warriors) - 54
Philtos - 23
Bubs77 (Silverbacks) - 11
Dunkky - 5

I can think of four tourneys for this weekend: Mankato, Hanover C and D and the conference tourney in Indianapolis​

Picks game rules: http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/minnesota-thread-2018.1428975/page-136#post-18983602
I did so poorly this week I got kicked off the scoresheet.

Maximus Decimus

Slap Hands!
Looking for some advice.

My team generally lacks intensity and coasts alot. The way I was coached it would be handled by putting a foot in someone's ass. I don't think that works much these days. Any other ideas?

Beauner

Starting Player
Looking for some advice.

My team generally lacks intensity and coasts alot. The way I was coached it would be handled by putting a foot in someone's ass. I don't think that works much these days. Any other ideas?
Benching guys would be an option if you've got the extra roster spots.
Especially if you ever play 1Micro. Just bench everyone. Just forfeit. ;)

wildthing81

Five games is a lot, but if it's Saturday/Sunday, you're playing four games on Saturday, probably. Getting there at 8AM and staying until 8 or 9, then coming back in the morning for two or three games. Will that be a lot better on everyone?

I'm also fine with D teams getting all the Friday games. We've played at 6:30 on Friday three of the last four years (twice when it was all open and this year as D only). I enjoy it.

The baseball field idea isn't a good idea, though.
If there are only 8 to 12 open teams , you could bring the top 4 back for Sunday, then in most cases you wouldn't play more then 3 games on Saturday. I've never been a huge fan of the baseball field games, The dual down in Florida some are played on baseball field meh they are ok i guess, alot of infield hits since the field is so big and inside the park homers, Smokies main field is a HS baseball field unlimited homers, Firemen s fall state open used to be on the baseball field, I thought games were pretty sloppy on those fields Although I did enjoy swinging away. I do think the baseball fields are too big for C and lower B teams to hit their homers. Even playing against Major an AA teams I could get alot of flyouts on the baseball fields and hence the lower scoring games more time then not.

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
Looking for some advice.

Sit guys and replace them until they figure it out or quit. If they quit, they weren't worth the headache. If you don't have numbers... then 2019 may be it. It's frustrating when guys "commit" and then half ass their way through the season. Why even commit to tournaments if you don't have desire to compete? Managing a team BLOWS.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
That'd be a tough one, because at this point in life that's probably just how some of those people are (unless they're like early 20's or something).

Maximus Decimus

Slap Hands!
Managing a team is awful during the middle of the season. Other then that I enjoy most of it. My favorite is the crying about roster size and look last weekend we needed two guys.

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
We honestly only have 10 full-time guys on our team for tournaments, so every tourney is a dandy (usually we just have 11 for the season, but then one guy dropped in mid-May).

Luckily we've been able to fill in with mostly solid guys so far. Next year we'll be back at 11.

Pistol148

Addicted to Softballfans
Being a manager does suck. One thing I've found is to play some small town tournaments and get everyone involved. Rotate in the guys that sit a lot and it keeps them somewhat happy. Guys who cry about batting 11 guys or who should be playing, tell them to step up and manage. They will instantly be quite for the weekend. And again...managing sucks.

basilray

There's no way managing men's can be worse than managing co-ed, where every week you copy paste the same message around:

"Looking for <insert number> of women to play games at <insert times>. PM me if you can play!"

leib0039

3 mens divisions and 1 womens--Perfect for all levels of players
$1 beers!! and some great local food and vendors

One of the best times of the year, playing in front of big crowds all weekend.

Let me know if anyone needs more info!

Attachments

• PD Sign up.png
    PD Sign up.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 13

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
Indianapolis: Precision

Mankato: The Crew

Hanover C: Hassan
Hanover D: Ziegler

Dew Days: Element Exteriors

Last edited:

Bell44

Addicted to Softballfans
Mankato: A&B
Dew Days: SBI/Freeway Ford
Hanover C: Hassan
Hanover D: Envy

Last edited:

Yoke

Too sweeeeeeeet
There's no way managing men's can be worse than managing co-ed, where every week you copy paste the same message around:

"Looking for <insert number> of women to play games at <insert times>. PM me if you can play!"
Managing co-ed seems like something you'd only do if you enjoy anxiety.

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans

Mankato: The Crew

Hanover C: Hassan Sand

Last edited:

basilray

Managing co-ed seems like something you'd only do if you enjoy anxiety.

I think I'm one of the few that plays regular co-ed in here. I managed a team one fall in Bloomington a couple years ago, and I'll never do it again. It was...miserable.

If I weren't so decidedly average, and didn't have a 2yr old and a newborn, I'd push to get back into playing Men's. I'll probably try and find somewhere in the S. Metro to play low-level men's in the fall or next spring, as my co-ed team always packs it in after the early season.

Co-ed indoors through Softballfinder was a pretty good time this winter, so I'll likely continue doing that though.

tsfingrocks

Average, at best

Mankato: A&B Transmission

Hanover C: Hassan Sand

Last edited: