MLB hot stove

3XC

Big Truss
There are more players now than in the 20s/30s/40s/50s/60s, we have many more teams. Its absurd to have fewer players, both as a percentage and as an absolute number of guys, as past decades. If there are twice as many guys playing Major League Baseball as there were in the 30s, we should have twice as many Hall of Fame guys. And not just starters and power hitters. The HOF should include relievers, defensive geniuses (especially catchers and middle infielders) and guys who hit for a high average. We no longer have .400 hitters, lets not make the cutoff for high average guys Tony Gwynn, thats a ridiculous ceiling. Hitting .325 in 2016, with micro specialization of pitchers, defensive shifts, enormous outfielding gloves, and a large improvement in defensive athleticism at all positions, is as impressive as hitting .350 in 1950 or .375 in 1925.

ntz

tricknollegy
the MLB hall of fame is a scared cow that needs to be butchered. I hate it that ****ty baseball writers have any power as to who gets in and who doesn't. burn that pos building to the ground and pour salt on it. scorched earth

Stretch19

Grow up
agreed, the whole system is flawed...hopefully the voters turn over enough in the next 5 or 10 years that guys that are deserving actually get in

Marshenko

There are more players so there should be more HOFers is about as ridiculous an argument as it gets.

Just because you added 500 players that otherwise wouldn't have been in baseball means that the inflated numbers of the second tier of players due to the watering down of the sport should get them in? Neat. Hey guess what... your above average player wouldn't have hit 100 HRs if not for Lunchpail Jackson pitching in the sixth inning of a MLB game instead of bagging my ****ing groceries.

ntz

tricknollegy
the MLB HOF is for people like gio, bob costas, and billy crystal. I don't want anything to do with anything those three are into. that's a baseball threesome that gets around and plays ookie cookie with ty cobs spikes

3XC

Big Truss
There are more players so there should be more HOFers is about as ridiculous an argument as it gets.

Just because you added 500 players that otherwise wouldn't have been in baseball means that the inflated numbers of the second tier of players due to the watering down of the sport should get them in? Neat. Hey guess what... your above average player wouldn't have hit 100 HRs if not for Lunchpail Jackson pitching in the sixth inning of a MLB game instead of bagging my ****ing groceries.

Great point, plus since we started letting "those people" play with all their extra tendons and sweat glands and nostril size for max breathing and the like the game is basically ruined anyway. They don't make em like the gashouse gang anymore, thats for sure.

3XC

Big Truss
the MLB HOF is for people like gio, bob costas, and billy crystal. I don't want anything to do with anything those three are into. that's a baseball threesome that gets around and plays ookie cookie with ty cobs spikes

This internet comment is a digital bat flip, so disrespectful.

3XC

Big Truss
Wasn't Costas like the only guy who opposed interleague play? We should hate that guy for that alone. What a ****.

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/baseball-hall-of-fame-is-stuck-in-the-60s/

TL;DR
More guys should be in. More guys from the 80s and 90s should be in. Borderline guys like Raines should absolutely be in.

I listened to some old Mets beat writer who covered baseball in the 80's rant and rave about Raines getting in. Said he was the 2nd best leadoff guy of that generation (Henderson) and teams strategized against him. Said that Raines took walks before it was the cool thing to do.

STLCoach

Nobiscum Deus

I'm into the Cardinals and all of MLB basically. So you're saying that you don't want anything to do with that? Ok.. Right on, We'll be seeing you later. :thumb:

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.

Lunchpail Jackson now throws 97mph cutters. As great as guys like Mays and Ruth were they didn't have to face today's pitchers.

Your argument that the sport is watered down conveniently leaves out the huge talent pool that the sport now draws from. You may be right. Guys like Pujols, Griffey, and Ichiro really water the sport down. It was better when it was only American born whites.

3XC

Big Truss
Lunchpail Jackson now throws 97mph cutters. As great as guys like Mays and Ruth were they didn't have to face today's pitchers.

Your argument that the sport is watered down conveniently leaves out the huge talent pool that the sport now draws from. You may be right. Guys like Pujols, Griffey, and Ichiro really water the sport down. It was better when it was only American born whites.

Not to mention, based on nothing but the population of the world, we have twice as many people and twice as many teams.

Its actually kind of crazy to think that in 1920 there were 1.8 billion living humans and in 2016 7.484 billion living humans. Thats a four fold increase in under 100 years.

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
Chris Davis back with Os for $161m

Were they bidding against themselves? Who else was gonna pay him like that?

chacha15

rec chip
Thats why he is staying in The Baltimore. Not sure why they agreed to pay him so much. he is a huge hitter and maybe they can still go after Cespedes. They need to fill that rotation though. Davis is on the payroll for the next 20 years and will probably play 5.

3XC

Big Truss
The Orioles are following the blueprint of the 90s Texas Rangers. Lead the lead in homers, last in ERA, go 83-79 every year, never make the playoffs, "winning team."

Ugh.