Motivational Idea for my team

Terrordome666

Addicted to Softballfans
So, I turn 50 in December.... I have been managing a team for 14 seasons.

We are always competitive, but in that 14 seasons we have only won 2 Championships.

I keep all stats for the season on the Game changer app and I bust a lot of chops when players bat under .450

This season I am doing a competition for money. Its called beat the 50 year old.

I have added $10 to everyones league fee. I am going to pool that money... $130. Anyone that has a higher batting average than me gets their $10 back at the end of the season. Anyone that has a lower average than me loses their $10. Whoever has the highest batting average gets the pool of money of the players that lost their $10.

To qualify, people will have to have 30 AB's in 14 games, so there will also be a little motivation for people to show up.

I have been on DL last two seasons, with a detached retina and then a broken wrist... but this summer I have hit well over 1000 balls (mostly using pop toss)... and I am hitting the ball very well. I am anticipating hitting at least .650 for the season, that is what I have typically hit before injuries. I predict a lot of people will be losing their $10.

r8dr_rider

How about whoever doesn’t suck ass gets the pot???

It’s softball not MLB, who cares about stats in slow pitch really?????

Drink, hit, drink and don’t strike out

Terrordome666

Addicted to Softballfans
You are right... I will use OBP. I don't want to include slugging because I have one guy in particular... bats about .750 every season, but rarely gets more than a single.

I wish everyone on team batted .750 with 95% singles... I am pretty sure we would score enough runs to win most games. I think... someone do the math.

I did the math... if every third batter was out... and everyone else got a single and went base to base that would be 5 runs per inning. Or 35 runs in a 7 inning game. Normally we average 15-18 runs per game.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are right... I will use OBP. I don't want to include slugging because I have one guy in particular... bats about .750 every season, but rarely gets more than a single.

I wish everyone on team batted .750 with 95% singles... I am pretty sure we would score enough runs to win most games. I think... someone do the math.

I did the math... if every third batter was out... and everyone else got a single and went base to base that would be 5 runs per inning. Or 35 runs in a 7 inning game. Normally we average 15-18 runs per game.
How did you get to that conclusion? First and second out. Based loaded one run out. Second run third run out. How are you ever getting five runs?

I'd take 21 runs a game in a heartbeat though.

Country469

real talk I suggest scrapping this idea, scrapping stats, and rewarding the team for making progress in terms of effort and hustle.

You want 12 team players, not 12 guys out seeking to justify individual stats

I'll take .500 hitter who hits behind runners and makes smart productive outs over a .650 hitter who has no bat control and hits solos at least once every other game.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Two things not gtg about this.. pay to play and busting grown a** mens chops about playing a recreational sport js

Terrordome666

Addicted to Softballfans
Two things not gtg about this.. pay to play and busting grown a** mens chops about playing a recreational sport js

Softball is not a sport. I think the thread is somewhere on the first page check it out.

Someone batting .400 playing a recreational sport probably expects to have his chops busted.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Softball is not a sport. I think the thread is somewhere on the first page check it out.

Someone batting .400 playing a recreational sport probably expects to have his chops busted.
Sport or not it is only recreational js not worth putting grown men on blast in hopes of them uping their ba..

r8dr_rider

If you think softball is not a sport you probably suck ass and strike out regularly.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
So, I turn 50 in December.... I have been managing a team for 14 seasons.

We are always competitive, but in that 14 seasons we have only won 2 Championships.

I keep all stats for the season on the Game changer app and I bust a lot of chops when players bat under .450

This season I am doing a competition for money. Its called beat the 50 year old.

I have added $10 to everyones league fee. I am going to pool that money... $130. Anyone that has a higher batting average than me gets their $10 back at the end of the season. Anyone that has a lower average than me loses their $10. Whoever has the highest batting average gets the pool of money of the players that lost their $10.

To qualify, people will have to have 30 AB's in 14 games, so there will also be a little motivation for people to show up.

I have been on DL last two seasons, with a detached retina and then a broken wrist... but this summer I have hit well over 1000 balls (mostly using pop toss)... and I am hitting the ball very well. I am anticipating hitting at least .650 for the season, that is what I have typically hit before injuries. I predict a lot of people will be losing their $10.

I almost hope this is a fake post.

Besides the obvious bragging section of the post where you cite your own typical BA, how your teammates will be losing $10 because of your efforts--- or their lack of effort. Also stating your effort of 1000 swings. Either way.....

then we have the obvious -- is $10 actually going to motivate your teammates?

Maybe some of your guys have hit below .450, but have they played in the past two years? You have not.

I dont like any monetary motivational tactics on a team. It will do nothing but cause "stat hanging".

Play the game hard and have fun. Anything else you do is just going to cause a divide. Busting chops for the guys that dont hit is going to get you nowhere.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
You want a stat that wins games man? Hitting the cut off man 100% of the time and not giving up extra bases throwing the ball around.

when i coached a bunch of college kids 10 years ago their were batting .100 at hitting the cutoff man. and I think in the 3 seasons I made this mistake, they threw out maybe 2 or 3 runners.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
there was a short time when i coached, i kept track of averages. logged it all on slowpitchstats and everything. guys were very concerned about their averages and i thought that was great. if you are concerned you'll make a concentrated effort at being better. It was a nightmare. guys arguing exactly that. "it was hard hit that shouldn't be an error!!!" crap like that. i finally had it and said i wasn't doing it anymore. our team started scoring more runs per game the moment i stopped

huzzdog

retired
there was a short time when i coached, i kept track of averages. logged it all on slowpitchstats and everything. guys were very concerned about their averages and i thought that was great. if you are concerned you'll make a concentrated effort at being better. It was a nightmare. guys arguing exactly that. "it was hard hit that shouldn't be an error!!!" crap like that. i finally had it and said i wasn't doing it anymore. our team started scoring more runs per game the moment i stopped
that's why at the top levels.. all that matters is OBP. sac's don't help you but the subjectivity of error vs. hit is gone