Music and Weed.....

trippy1313

Starting Player
Question regarding Weed & Music.

Now, I'm "only" 36, but been playin since 16... music in the dugout has become a pretty normal occurence and typically been fine and a nice ambiance.

But lately this year I'm seeing more and more the teams are not just playing music, but blaring it so loud you hear it over your teammates the next field over. And full on uncensored stuff when there's plenty if kids under 10 around.

I love hip-hop, rock, everything but country... but it what is what I thought supposed to be family friendly environment people are constantly playing this stuff.... is it normal and accepted now?

And last night, literally seeing people smoke weed in the outfield and dugout, when the park has signs all over prohibiting it and the smell fills the park.

Now, I know, everybody drinks in the dugout, but... it's generally quiet, and nobody has to see it, hear it or smell it, unless you get that one jerk that gets plastered.

Is the weed thing considered acceptable now on the ballfields since its legalized???

Am I being too concerned/annoyed over it all? I'm just not used to it, and wanna know, truthfully, what your opinions are, no arguments, just your opinions.

Myself, if your gonna play really "explicit" music, keep it down to where only your dugout can hear it. If it's more radio edit stuff, then a little louder for the ambiance is fine.

But the smoking weed is unacceptable. The smell is nauseating. I don't do weed so I don't know the different ways of using it for an affect, but can't you vape it without the smell? Or fricken take an edible? Cigarette smoking is banned in our parks, so why the heck would you think it's okay to literally light up a joint... ON THE FIELD?!?

TheKid33

Star Player
the last few years my team has had music in the dugout. There’s a few different guys who take turns using their playlists. One guy has basically all hit type rock and hip hop songs, and plays it loud but you can still talk to someone in the dugout and hear them just fine.

Other guy plays all of this underground rap (which I totally dig) but it’s filled with cussing and graphic lyrics and he plays it so loud you can’t hear the ball off the bat. Have to tell him constantly to turn it down and he gets ***** about it. Again, the choice in music is cool, but there’s kids and women around.. for late games it’s not as big of a deal I guess.

The weed thing is fine to me as long as it’s moderate. Like if my whole team is smoking weed in the dugout passing multiple joints or blunts I’d be pretty annoyed (I smoke myself but time and place). There’s one guy who always has a half joint he’ll smoke between games of a doubleheader.. dig it.

When I was younger I would just bake out my car before the game like a responsible adult would do! 😎

blakcherry329

Question regarding Weed & Music.

Now, I'm "only" 36, but been playin since 16... music in the dugout has become a pretty normal occurence and typically been fine and a nice ambiance.

But lately this year I'm seeing more and more the teams are not just playing music, but blaring it so loud you hear it over your teammates the next field over. And full on uncensored stuff when there's plenty if kids under 10 around.

I love hip-hop, rock, everything but country... but it what is what I thought supposed to be family friendly environment people are constantly playing this stuff.... is it normal and accepted now?

And last night, literally seeing people smoke weed in the outfield and dugout, when the park has signs all over prohibiting it and the smell fills the park.

Now, I know, everybody drinks in the dugout, but... it's generally quiet, and nobody has to see it, hear it or smell it, unless you get that one jerk that gets plastered.

Is the weed thing considered acceptable now on the ballfields since its legalized???

Am I being too concerned/annoyed over it all? I'm just not used to it, and wanna know, truthfully, what your opinions are, no arguments, just your opinions.

Myself, if your gonna play really "explicit" music, keep it down to where only your dugout can hear it. If it's more radio edit stuff, then a little louder for the ambiance is fine.

But the smoking weed is unacceptable. The smell is nauseating. I don't do weed so I don't know the different ways of using it for an affect, but can't you vape it without the smell? Or fricken take an edible? Cigarette smoking is banned in our parks, so why the heck would you think it's okay to literally light up a joint... ON THE FIELD?!?

I do have a problem with the explicit music being played really loudly. It's disrespectful to fans and other teams, imo.
Otherwise, Idc if the music is played loud or not. the umpires will let you know if it's too loud for them to control the game.
As far as the weed goes...

I rather play with a bunch of potheads than a bunch of drunks. :rolleyes:
I don't smoke or drink while I play. Can't really do that and pitch. That's bad for your health. ;) But if you can smoke and play well, have at it.

Redsfan

I'm 51. I started playing in softball in 1989. I never saw music in the dugout during 89-00. We might play music in BP before the game but once game time was here we got serious and played. Many people would drink but not very many people did weed. And if you did it was done in the back seat of their vehicle hidden from everyone.
Fast forward to my return to the game in 2016 and both are everywhere. Guys blasting music and smoking weed right in the dug outs. Mostly I could care less what other people are doing but I think some of the music choices could be a little bit more considerate when there are young kids around. They get to hear enough cuss words when guys pop up, they don't need it in every song that's played too. End old guy rant. Haha

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Man idk what yalls LD's are smoking or drinking 😆 but none of that stuff is allowed in dugouts here, they did allow music a few yrs back but it became obnoxious and ld put a stop to it. Some guys sneak beers/weed in but have to keep it under wraps or else you get tossed from complex for a week, keep doing it and get caught will lead to getting banned from playing all together. I personally don't care if music is played but I'm glad they put a stop to it cuz some of that explicit stuff can stay at home or in the car when kids are around. I used to drink and chief alot back in the day but never during games, I would cheif out an hour or so prior to playing every now and then just to get focused. Drinking was always for after games.

trippy1313

Starting Player
Sounds all reasonable to me. With the weed even. I dont mind that people do it a little here and there... last night, there were literally players on the field doing it. Out in the field playing defense taking a hit. I found that to be pretty ridiculous.

Normy

I dont
Man idk what yalls LD's are smoking or drinking 😆 but none of that stuff is allowed in dugouts here, they did allow music a few yrs back but it became obnoxious and ld put a stop to it. Some guys sneak beers/weed in but have to keep it under wraps or else you get tossed from complex for a week, keep doing it and get caught will lead to getting banned from playing all together. I personally don't care if music is played but I'm glad they put a stop to it cuz some of that explicit stuff can stay at home or in the car when kids are around. I used to drink and chief alot back in the day but never during games, I would cheif out an hour or so prior to playing every now and then just to get focused. Drinking was always for after games.
Same here. They're pretty strict about that stuff and I'm glad. It's crazy enough without all the extracurricular. After the game, more power to ya.

defos

Earlier this year, a team was playing raunchy, explicit rap loud enough to be annoying to me as the catcher - the lyrics were more annoying than the volume. I asked the umpire, "If I get up again and can somehow pull the ball enough to hit that boombox, will it count as a strike?" He said, "No."

There are a few teams that play music here, which I don't have a big problem with as long as it's family friendly and they keep the volume down. Unfortunately, it's usually extremely raunchy, and the raunchier the lyrics, the louder they play it.

My granddaughter just started 8U softball. This is one of the rules - No smoking or tobacco use on the field or in the dugouts.

Redsfan

My one league doesn't care what you do. It's in a smaller hillbillyish town. You can smoke, drink, blast music, play on different teams, and they also don't care what bats you use. They even let anyone over 50 use senior bats. Luckily I can still hit them out with U trip bats but I used my AT18 twice this year and hit a HR both times. My team wants me to hit it everytime but it's so unfair when you are hitting 44/400's. Now when I play in Columbus they don't allow the drinking but still let people blast their music. The parking lot will smell like a Cheech and Chong movie. Haha

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fields here are privately run so they have bars in them, and it's as rough as a place I've ever played ball. As to what you said, I've never seen weed on the field and they're toning down the music, by having their own dj. In the past two years though I've sent an umpire sucker punched and another time shoved up against the fence about to be beaten to pieces, the team that did the second want even forfeited out of the game. So many fights, I don't even try and get my wife to bring my kids out anymore.

WiLD53

i used to play high all the time but i always got high at home... lately, though i've had to quit doing that because it affects my eyes since i usually wake up an hour before game time and it takes a while for my eyes to settle down anyway without smoking anything... and pitching, i can't afford anything but clear eyesight...

one league i play in doesn't allow weed in the park but a lot of it gets smoked out in the parking lot before and after games... [however, they have a pub inside the park]... the other is an over 45 league that plays on fields that don't allow anything... so most of the guys head to a bar after the game and i go home to smoke a bong and go back to bed before i have to get up for work at midnight...

i'm with blackcherry... i'd much rather play with people who are stoned than drunk... but i don't see any need to be smoking or drinking during a game...

the music? we don't have any problem with it... the sportsplex plays music over it's speakers and only a couple of teams play it in the dugout... although we had one team when i was umpiring that joined and played a song for each player as they came to bat but then they turned it off... that's about the size of it from my leagues... :cool:

Last edited:

r8dr_rider

My team is that music blasting weed smoking and beer drinking team. If my kids are around I’ll tell them to change that stupid new rap music. Other then that it’s all good to go.

dunno

Haven't seen the weed during games and practice but there are probably edible affected players around.

Don't care for the music even if its my genre because someone else might not like the 70's.

At least one guy i know claims to drink in the mornings before and during games.
Definitely after the games and lately has been complaining to me about his hitting and fielding.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I'm over the music. Some of the teams I play on insist on having music in the dugout, and I'm not a fan. It's always too loud, and just becomes grating after a while.

I think leagues and tournies should ban music in the dugout. Sometimes world tournies will do so.

I smell weed at the fields sometimes, but I don't feel it's a real problem.

defos

At least one guy i know claims to drink in the mornings before and during games.
Definitely after the games and lately has been complaining to me about his hitting and fielding.
Used to play against a guy who was pretty good when sober, but the drunker he was, the better he played - even when he looked like he couldn't find left field, let alone get out there. He was slender and not all that tall. He ran 5 or 10Ks, and would win. I'd see him out running, and wonder how he could drink that much and be in that great shape.

trippy1313

Starting Player
Oh my thread came back to life. Lol.

But yeah again for me, if I catch a whiff here an there, then fine whatever. Much like cigarettes, I dont like the smell, but if you're getting a quick puff, then whatever, its technically legal. Just when it stinks for the whole game I find that ridiculous, annoying, and distracting. Especially if kids are around.

And the music is fine if it's mildly or occasionally profane, and more of an ambiance than a party. But if I can't hear my base coach or teammates in the field, then it's too loud.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I don't understand what the **** the younger generations of people do or why......... It's just crazy to me that this stuff takes place at the ball field and that music in the dugout is soooooooooooooooo important to some people.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
Smoking “legal” like Drake said 🤣 that’s nice to be in a state where you can legally smoke it, unlike lane ass Georgia. I live and let live. I blast music but if a song with too much cussing or N bombs slip in, I change it. One day I didn’t bring my IPod in and used a random playlist off the phone and the uncensored version of “my neck my back” came on and I was pitching at the time!

basilray

I went hard on the music and such in the last couple years...

For my church team, I even took it a step farther. I do a custom player introduction for the first time through the batting order, unique to each game. They're usually ridiculous and I end up roasting everyone that shows up to play...including myself. The rest of the time, we have music going from a carefully selected playlist to be appropriate for church ball. If a team asks us to turn it down and/or off, we do.

For regular league night, same thing. Intros and music between, maybe a little less strict, but nothing too inappropriate.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
To me it's all about the level. If I have to raise my voice to be heard over the music, it's too loud and I'll ask the team nicely to turn it down, then I tell them to turn it off, then I toss the manager and tell the pitcher to turn it off, then I toss the pitcher and tell the shortstop to turn it off. If they don't get it by that point it's a real short game when they don't have enough players to play anymore.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Wait, I thought I was playing softball, Not going to a fuggin concert. If you wanna puff do it at your car before the game, Absolutely NO reason to be doing it on the field or in the dugouts. Funny thing about life today, its all about seeing how far you can push it... music..weed.. then one day you wake up with some perspective and say to yourself WTF was I thinking🤔

blakcherry329

Wait, I thought I was playing softball, Not going to a fuggin concert. If you wanna puff do it at your car before the game, Absolutely NO reason to be doing it on the field or in the dugouts. Funny thing about life today, its all about seeing how far you can push it... music..weed.. then one day you wake up with some perspective and say to yourself WTF was I thinking🤔
So beer is ok but weed isn't? Hmmmm

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Why do people need to do drugs or drink when they play softball. I thought it was a game of skills and ability so why would I want to diminish my cognitive abilities while I compete.

blakcherry329

Why do people need to do drugs or drink when they play softball. I thought it was a game of skills and ability so why would I want to diminish my cognitive abilities while I compete.
different strokes...some people need that to get them focused.
I never drank or smoked during games. However, if you can play at a "high" level, who cares?

Serious is in the eye of the beholder.

blakcherry329

lol. Actually, I can see cocaine helping...in moderation. It is a stimulant, after all. Why do you think every Pro Athlete has a prescription for Adderall or why Amphetamines were in a bowl, like M&Ms, in locker rooms in the 50s, 60s, and 70s?
Like anything, the problem comes when used to excess.