My BP videos Official Thread

tonys1

Not necessarily going for a wider FOV. Just wanting a deeper FOV. The f/2.8 really pulls everything closer which is what I was after. You can see where a well hit ball lands, instead of just guessing based on the trajectory of it.

f/2.8 means shallow depth of field and while we seem to follow the ball, in theory anyway, you'll follow the ball better if you're at f/9 or higher.

I could be way off here, but to get the best perspective, I'd probably try a 35mm (with your camera) and try f/9.0 or higher and see what that does.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I had the understanding the lower the number the better it’d be for a depth of field.

I’m totally mind ****ed on why this lens looks better than the lens I was using then lol.

Anything I’ve learned with all of this crap I’ve had to figure out for myself. And boy lemme tell ya. If I had half of that time and money back....

tonys1

I had the understanding the lower the number the better it’d be for a depth of field.

I’m totally mind ****ed on why this lens looks better than the lens I was using then lol.

Anything I’ve learned with all of this crap I’ve had to figure out for myself. And boy lemme tell ya. If I had half of that time and money back....

Large aperture = Small f-number = Shallow (small) depth of field
Small aperture = Larger f-number = Deeper (larger) depth of field

f2.8 will allow you to shoot in low light situations, create bokeh (blur) in the background. Essentially if you're shooting something at f2.8, it blurs out the background. Some higher end lenses go down to f1.2, you try taking a group photo with that and you risk blurring some of the people in the picture. That's why I'm thinking you should try to bump to f9.0 or higher if you want to keep the ball in the frame for as far as possible. 35mm in your setup is the equivalent of 50mm in full frame, which is the closest to human eye in terms of perspective of distance. Your 24mm will act as a 35mm which isn't terrible either as it gives you a wider view.

Too wide of a lens throws off perspective, which is why the pitcher will look like he's much further than he usually is (like a GoPro).

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
So in hindsight, I was using a 10-18 to shoot with before this one. This 24mm will give a little deeper field of view but not be as sharp overall as the 10-18 with a f/4.5-5.6. The 10-18 is absolute ass unless the lighting is spot on too. That drove me absolutely nuts.

When I got the camera it came with the 10-18 and a 75-300. 24mm is a step in the right direction, I suppose. I have done one review and tested some vlog style shots with too. Not disappointed for what I paid for it. So there’s that lol

tonys1

So in hindsight, I was using a 10-18 to shoot with before this one. This 24mm will give a little deeper field of view but not be as sharp overall as the 10-18 with a f/4.5-5.6. The 10-18 is absolute ass unless the lighting is spot on too. That drove me absolutely nuts.

When I got the camera it came with the 10-18 and a 75-300. 24mm is a step in the right direction, I suppose. I have done one review and tested some vlog style shots with too. Not disappointed for what I paid for it. So there’s that lol

You can go higher on your pancake, maybe up to f22.0. The number you see in the specs is the lowest your lens can go, but you definitely can go higher. Again, lower or higher are interchangeable whether you're referring to f-stop or aperture. If you had trouble with the 10-18 at f4.5-5.6, then you'll struggle even more at f9.0, whether with the pancake of your 10-18. Play with your ISO, might work for you. Like I said, f9.0 was an arbitrary starting point, you'd need to have a nice sunny day to film at that, but anything above f2.8 will give your background detail.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Sunny days the10-18 does great as long as the lighting is good and the sun is at the perfect angle. Overcast days it looks awful and washed out almost no matter what. Probably somewhat from my lack of knowledge, and also the fact I would just throw the camera in auto and get to swinging. But we’re learning as we go lol.

chile

Bad Ape
Not necessarily going for a wider FOV. Just wanting a deeper FOV. The f/2.8 really pulls everything closer which is what I was after. You can see where a well hit ball lands, instead of just guessing based on the trajectory of it.

I would think you'd want around F8 to give you better DOF as 2.8 is pretty shallow but if it's working, it's working.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
After getting some schooling here, I’d say the better DOF is coming from the fact I was using a 10-18mm set at around 12 so I’m doubling what I was using by going to a 24mm. I think that’s where I’m seeing the biggest difference.

BTW, thanks for chiming in. I’m never one to say I can’t learn something new. Definitely have from the help from you guys.

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
man... you all crushing it. and that red shirt guy... crazy bat speed.

Thanks! He's probably the best player on our weekend team. Excellent shortstop and very good power hitter. We were just excited that Onyx wanted us to try it out for review!

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Put the ISO on Auto and let the camera find the lighting for you
That's what I've been working on and seems to work well, since the sun can kind of comes and go at times.
I would say set everything to "auto" since it's just shooting a bp video...I don't think you need to get too deep into settings.
Auto mode does give me a good picture, but taking the time to learn and work with the settings to really utilize this camera's potential is paying off.

chile

Bad Ape
That's what I've been working on and seems to work well, since the sun can kind of comes and go at times.

Auto mode does give me a good picture, but taking the time to learn and work with the settings to really utilize this camera's potential is paying off.

you may want to look at some sort of alternate lighting then...the camera should be able to sort that out on it's own to give you even lighting...