My weight loss has come to a stop... need advice

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
So I started out my journey to better health back in August after my 5 foot tall lady Dr (my wife's Dr that I only went to because she made me) chewed my butt about my lifestyle. So Now after watching what and how much I eat (1900 calories per day) with not much exercise, I've lost 52lbs. So now I finally am able to get back into the gym three weeks ago and am doing a little cardio and am lifting weights. I'm also eating the same amount of calories but yet I am stuck at the same darn weight. I can't figure it out. What am I doing wrong???? According to my Fitbit, I'm having a 1000 calorie deficit every day. But yet every time I step on the scale, the same 220 stares me in the face.

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
Dont know what you are eating but what always worked for me was cutting all sugars and anything that turns to sugar and eating some good fats every day.

wcoastsoftball

I don't know the rest of your stats, but now you may need to adjust calories up or down slightly, or maybe you need to workout more or less? So many things that could be issued it is hard to tell from here.

dafox

Fox in Socks
I'd say increase calories on workout days. 1000 cal deficit may be too much - try 500. Also look into carb cycling. And try a cheat day --- really jump up the calories once a week.
After dieting that long, you can try to boost your metabolism by taking in more calories once a week.

Also --- at this point stop using the scale too much --- get a bf% test and set your goal to lose bodyfat.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Are you happy with your appearance? If so, who cares what the scale says. Need the exercise for the cardiovascular system and to maintain your health.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Weight is a misleading measure of your overall health and progress, especially taking into account that you may be building muscle in the gym...

What is your overall goal, lose weight or have great blood chemistry?

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
I am 5'10" and will be 39 in a couple of months. My staples are eggs, meat, sweet potatoes and rice. Some broccoli and cauliflower. If I go to Subway (rare) I get a turkey on wheat with a bunch of spinach. Snacks are like a serving or two of vanilla frozen yogurt with cinnamon on it or a cup of honey nut cheerios. I'm consistently in the 50% carbs, 35% protein, and 15% fat range. Which has worked for the first 50 lbs. I thought that maybe since I am lifting again, that maybe I'm putting on muscle and that might be why I'm not losing. But more exercise and the same food should mean weight loss. I want to get into the 190-205 ( I wanted 170-175 but Doc said no) range mainly for less stress on my knees and ankles. So 220 is close, but not close enough. But, I have gone from tight 38 pants to not so tight 34's too. And people that see me are usually in disbelief that I weigh 220.

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
This feels so wrong, but here are a couple of pictures of me.

20141211_1150131.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

20141211_1138341.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
So should I slam a buffet once a week, or clean up my food a bit and then once a week eat like I do now?

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
if the "weight" factor is your closure rather than the appearance, then carb cycle. I did 5 months of <50-75 carbs (all veggies, no starch) Sun-Fri and then a "clean" re-feed >300 carbs on Saturday. By clean I mean, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc.... not burgers and fries or the IFYM style. I noticed when I started doing that i went from avg 182 on Saturday mornings to 175-177 the following Saturday mornings during the 5 weeks. I will say this... it gets depressing though when you add carbs back in your diet full time after cycling like that because the bloat and water weight show...BIG TIME. I went from a pretty good 6 pack to almost none at all and gained a good 4-5 lbs. Granted my body has adjusted and I'm starting to lean back out (still sticking to normal diet with full time carbs), but noticing my weight is going up. To me I care more about my appearance than the weight so I base my diet off of the mirror, not the scale.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
The mirror is more telling than the scale. Instead of changing something up drastically, why don't you do the following:

1) Take measurements this weekend, neck, shoulders, chest, arms, forearms, waist, hips, quads, calves
2) Take pictures, relaxed poses, no flexing or sucking in your gut, no shirt, don't need to post them here
3) Keep doing what you are doing for the next 4-5 weeks, and don't step on a scale
4) After 4-5 weeks, take your measurements again, take another picture, and compare

If you don't like what you see/results, then look at changing up your routine. It's not like you are starting something brand new, you've already been doing the diet and lost 52 pounds, and you've just recently incorporated lifting weights. Have patience, it'll come

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
Sometimes the body will hit a plateau.. Everyone goes thru this (I did).. If you continue your current diet&exersize... you should be GTG.

If you want to kickstart the weight loss... try more cardio. that should help.

MichelleG

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok I have a couple thoughts:
First, you've only been back in the gym for 3 weeks. Most weight/cardio programs need a few months before you really start seeing results. Give it time. For your cardio try HIIT or Tabata. Circuit training on the weights occasionally might also help.

Second, ditch the frozen yogurt. It's crap. Glorified sugar. Try plain Greek yogurt and throw some honey or berries on it with some nuts. Also rice is fine as long as it's brown, but quinoa is a better choice. Make sure your meat is lean (chicken breast, lean beef) stay away from "lunch/deli" meat. Eat lots of vegis. Fresh is.best but frozen just as good nutrient wise.

Third, your pic looks pretty good. You appear to be on the right track. Keep it up. Remember this has to be your new lifestyle if you want it to stick. :)

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Cut the carbs down.

Where will he get the energy...

Ok I have a couple thoughts:
First, you've only been back in the gym for 3 weeks. Most weight/cardio programs need a few months before you really start seeing results. Give it time. For your cardio try HIIT or Tabata. Circuit training on the weights occasionally might also help.

Second, ditch the frozen yogurt. It's crap. Glorified sugar. Try plain Greek yogurt and throw some honey or berries on it with some nuts. Also rice is fine as long as it's brown, but quinoa is a better choice. Make sure your meat is lean (chicken breast, lean beef) stay away from "lunch/deli" meat. Eat lots of vegis. Fresh is.best but frozen just as good nutrient wise.

Third, your pic looks pretty good. You appear to be on the right track. Keep it up. Remember this has to be your new lifestyle if you want it to stick. :)

...to perform HIIT? I realize the same two people did not post these quotes but carbs are needed for high intensity exercises and 50% on carbs is too low for any performance benefit.

The mirror is more telling than the scale. Instead of changing something up drastically, why don't you do the following:

1) Take measurements this weekend, neck, shoulders, chest, arms, forearms, waist, hips, quads, calves
2) Take pictures, relaxed poses, no flexing or sucking in your gut, no shirt, don't need to post them here
3) Keep doing what you are doing for the next 4-5 weeks, and don't step on a scale
4) After 4-5 weeks, take your measurements again, take another picture, and compare

If you don't like what you see/results, then look at changing up your routine. It's not like you are starting something brand new, you've already been doing the diet and lost 52 pounds, and you've just recently incorporated lifting weights. Have patience, it'll come

Good advice, measurements other then the scale and give a few weeks.

Last edited:

Paul66

Addicted to Softballfans
Also look into carb cycling. And try a cheat day --- really jump up the calories once a week.
After dieting that long, you can try to boost your metabolism by taking in more calories once a week.

Also --- at this point stop using the scale too much --- get a bf% test and set your goal to lose bodyfat.

I agree that you need a cheat day once a week. You're body is used to your current calorie intake so your metabolism has stabilized and will stay the same. If you introduce a cheat day once a week it will fire up your metabolism and this will be beneficial for the rest of the week. Keep up the good work!

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
Where will he get the energy...

After 2 weeks of carb cycling I actually had more energy on the lower days than the days I had high And I was doing shortcut to shred and 30 days out programs from BB.com which are all HITT style. Of course everyone is different.

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
You can also intermittent fast. I really liked it when I did it and leaned out really well. I would lift fasted from 4-6 am, have a shake right after, and then eat food from 8-6. It does take about a week to get used to it, unless you already don't eat after 6

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
After 2 weeks of carb cycling I actually had more energy on the lower days than the days I had high And I was doing shortcut to shred and 30 days out programs from BB.com which are all HITT style. Of course everyone is different.

How did you measure your energy levels being different?

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
How did you measure your energy levels being different?

How I felt in the gym and throughout the day and upon waking up. When carbs were a staple in my diet I had to force myself to get up, my cardio was sluggish, and motivation was ****. With low carbs I was jumping out of bed, felt great, and was doing the same intensity level of cardio but could go at it longer. Like I said, everyone is different and the way my body responds to carbs isn't like that of others. Carbs actually make me tired, that's. Why I rarely eat them if at all before a workout

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere

The day after a high carb day was a low carb day and then you repeated the cycle? If so, that might explain why you had more energy on the low carb days.

KangarooNokona

Kangabilly
The day after a high carb day was a low carb day and then you repeated the cycle? If so, that might explain why you had more energy on the low carb days.

No I cycled 1 day high, 6 days low. The day after the high day I felt so bloated and just blah. Days 4-7 however I felt amazing.

OToole20

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd say increase calories on workout days. 1000 cal deficit may be too much - try 500. Also look into carb cycling. And try a cheat day --- really jump up the calories once a week.

He's on point here guy... speaks the truth.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
Stop stepping on the scale. Look in the mirror and use that as motivation on how you judge yourself, not a number on a scale. The fact is it probably took years to do that to your body, and you've only been working out for like 5-6 months. Stay consistent with your healthy diet and weight lifting and your body will respond.