ND Softball: Drain the Swamp Thread

mnballer

Addicted to Softballfans
This info is on the Bud Light Tournament pages as well.

Current Team list and notes.
Team List as of 5/31.
B/C
The Box
MMB
605 Softball
Heartland Investors
Tharaldson Softball Club
RMI
Burgess Detailing
----would take 1 or 3 additional B/C teams.

D
Prairie Supply
Fog Em
Aftermath
Dahme Construction
Smith Motors
Big Erv's
DMVW
Busch Bombers
Mad Batters
Hilltop Bar
----would take 2 additional D teams

Sorry I deleted the 84 rec teams , as they are irrelevant

Mark Davis

The Rookie
Anyone here the news of Dvorak being a bunch of pu**ies and making a new team for McQuades so they can avoid playing Russell's?

sk31

Unicorn tags for days
Anyone here the news of Dvorak being a bunch of pu**ies and making a new team for McQuades so they can avoid playing Russell's?

Ugh. Freezing cold take. That ain't it at all. I'm playing Russell's one way or another, so let it be.

Jim_Chimney

Bud Light Tournament -- Class Results

B/C

1st: Heartland
2nd: Tharaldson
3rd: The Box

D
1st: Smith Motors
2nd: Hilltop Bar
3rd: Rumors Hashers

Highlight -- MMB's little CF guy completing an amazing throwing trifecta in a single inning against Tharaldson. 1 ball thrown over the fence, 1 ball thrown into the dugout, and another ball thrown straight into the back of his SS :eek:

Lowlight -- The unrelenting wind on Sunday.. annnnd the unfortunate 'No Coolers Allowed' rule*

Bormann9

I wasn’t there BUT....

concessions were closed? No coolers allowed? In the middle of no where ?

Fargo runs the worst tournaments. Period.

7 team tournament and the 1st game of the championship finished at 430pm Sunday?

Unacceptable.

Jim_Chimney

I wasn’t there BUT....

concessions were closed? No coolers allowed? In the middle of no where ?

Fargo runs the worst tournaments. Period.

7 team tournament and the 1st game of the championship finished at 430pm Sunday?

Unacceptable.

1) Concessions closed at 1:30pm due to lack of volunteers.
2) Harwood is fkin.. beautiful.
3) Late Sunday starts encourage late Saturday fun..
4) We alllll know Grand FOrks runs the worst tournaments in ND*
5) Mike.. I love you.

Last edited:

BigCat2310

Extra Hitter
This SBF thread is dying for a few reasons, specifically the whiney trolls like Mark Davis and Jim Chimney, along with the utter insanity of Shogun Assman, lol.

I agree that Fargo tourneys are not good, but part of that is because Bismarck teams are scared to come play against tharaldson and heartland. With that being said, if it were up to me neither of them would be able to play in a tourney that didn't have a strictly open division. Problem is, until Fargo softball decides to open up the check book and throw a large amount of money to get open teams here again, that just isn't going to happen (which i understand isn't easy). Side note, now that the classic is sponsored by a beer again, bring back Friday night and the home run derby. That was when the classic was at its best.

Overall I think they're doing a good job but they need to talk to teams and figure out what needs to change otherwise the classic will eventually end up having an Open/C/D division with some rec stuff.

gullie28

Addicted to Softballfans
This SBF thread is dying for a few reasons, specifically the whiney trolls like Mark Davis and Jim Chimney, along with the utter insanity of Shogun Assman, lol.

I agree that Fargo tourneys are not good, but part of that is because Bismarck teams are scared to come play against tharaldson and heartland. With that being said, if it were up to me neither of them would be able to play in a tourney that didn't have a strictly open division. Problem is, until Fargo softball decides to open up the check book and throw a large amount of money to get open teams here again, that just isn't going to happen (which i understand isn't easy). Side note, now that the classic is sponsored by a beer again, bring back Friday night and the home run derby. That was when the classic was at its best.

Overall I think they're doing a good job but they need to talk to teams and figure out what needs to change otherwise the classic will eventually end up having an Open/C/D division with some rec stuff.

I guess I will remember that when I run my tournament that it isn't good although all I have done is keep listening to what teams have asked for in a tournament and tried to make it happen.

Sounds like Dennis is ready to sign up and run a tournament.

BigCat2310

Extra Hitter
I guess I will remember that when I run my tournament that it isn't good although all I have done is keep listening to what teams have asked for in a tournament and tried to make it happen.

Sounds like Dennis is ready to sign up and run a tournament.
Gulmon, I love you, you know that, but I knew you'd take this the wrong way. You and I have had these conversations and I know where you stand on the issues I have so I'm not talking about you. I also expressed my opinions directly with Mike this weekend and he agrees that things need to change, but you and I both know it's up to people besides you and Mike, even if it's "your tournament". Those are the people who need convincing. With that said, get me on the board and I'll gladly help make changes. You know I'm not afraid to let my opinions be known

Joker_24

Star Player
I don’t really think Bismarck teams are scared, It’s more so teams really could care less to drive to play when we host enough tourneys in Bismarck to play 4 or 5 tourneys a summer without travel which doesn’t cost as much money. Nobody has ever asked or told Fargo teams to come to Bismarck to play, believe me if Fargo teams didn’t show these tourneys would still all continue each year. The upper/open is not what carries a tournament, it’s the open players just wanting a division. 10-15 years ago there were only really 2-4 teams that actually traveled anywhere to play. So maybe we got spoiled when everyone was in their 20’s and could do so without a weekend costing 1 player a few hundred dollars, unless a tourney director and reverse aging I don’t see much changing.

BigCat2310

Extra Hitter
I don’t really think Bismarck teams are scared, It’s more so teams really could care less to drive to play when we host enough tourneys in Bismarck to play 4 or 5 tourneys a summer without travel which doesn’t cost as much money. Nobody has ever asked or told Fargo teams to come to Bismarck to play, believe me if Fargo teams didn’t show these tourneys would still all continue each year. The upper/open is not what carries a tournament, it’s the open players just wanting a division. 10-15 years ago there were only really 2-4 teams that actually traveled anywhere to play. So maybe we got spoiled when everyone was in their 20’s and could do so without a weekend costing 1 player a few hundred dollars, unless a tourney director and reverse aging I don’t see much changing.
Nah, I'm sticking with scared. Sounds better. Lol

sk31

Unicorn tags for days

This is all accurate. Scared is probably not it. Apathetic, more like it. Or too old and busy with life. Or maybe the upper divisions have just gotten too stale. Same teams year in and year out and we play each other all year long, over and over again. Traveling to do it again, a couple hours away, probably gets to be a tougher and tougher sell.

Plus, nobody else complains about teams not traveling to come play in their invitational tournament besides guys from Fargo. I've never once heard this from Minot, ****inson, Williston...they all host tournaments and get nobody east of Bismarck, if that. I mean, even if I get a couple Fargo teams at any of my tournaments, I'm doing pretty well. But even that's pretty rare.

You're also right, we were spoiled. In general, I think the upper divisions are just getting a little shy on ambitious managers, which means we're getting shy on upcoming young teams with the means and desire to travel. The established teams are rapidly aging or dissolving. I do think these things are cyclical and the pendulum will eventually swing back the other way, but right now, the upper divisions in softball are in a bit of a rut.

I don't know how to fix it. I doubt you're going to convince too many teams from Minneapolis to drive out to Harwood (which is an unfortunate problem for another post). Maybe bigger payouts would help. Maybe not. In my experience, they've just been another thing for people to cry about. I also get the desire to include the B teams, but there's no doubt they keep some C teams away. How many? I don't know. Might be an even swap.

I also don't know about all the rest of the issues you guys posted, since I wasn't there this year. But what I will say is that the solutions to these things are never, and I mean never, simple. The good news is that you have people in charge out there who actually do care about softball and all hold pretty high ranking positions in the state, so I'm sure they'll figure it out.

BackSpinGawd

Mcquades Notes:

Russells is always good
Silverbacks looked really good
MMB showed out sunday, this team is on another level
BOX underperformed
Biz teams didnt show up
Smith motors is rolling
Derby was fun to watch
Mquades showed they didn't need the open to draw a crowd, but I think they still need the open.

State will be interesting: Seems like it will be mmb's to lose unless the box can figure it out.
D is getting dominated by Smith Motors.

Bell44

Addicted to Softballfans
This was my first McQuades and it did not disappoint. Our game Saturday night against Russell's was such a fun environment. MMB absolutely took advantage of every mistake we made on Sunday. I'm really hoping that we'll be back next year.

BigCat2310

Extra Hitter
Mcquades Notes:

Russells is always good
Silverbacks looked really good
MMB showed out sunday, this team is on another level
BOX underperformed
Biz teams didnt show up
Smith motors is rolling
Derby was fun to watch
Mquades showed they didn't need the open to draw a crowd, but I think they still need the open.

State will be interesting: Seems like it will be mmb's to lose unless the box can figure it out.
D is getting dominated by Smith Motors.
I wouldn't say dominated, we won three games by 1 run. Either way, so happy McQuades is back and was glad to see that it was just as busy as ever!

Iballsohard

Here for the pitches
After being away from McQuades for a few years, I totally forgot how much fun it is. Got to see a bunch of old friends, make fun of Blaine J's awful mustache, and watch some great ball be played. Congrats to everyone and onto water carnival.

#2021parkinglotchamp

Bormann9

Makes me happy to see all the positive talk around McQuades

I’ve been telling people for years as I travel to corkys fireman’s wisco okc florida Vegas when they talk about the atmosphere

I always mention that McQuades is THE BEST hands down

Glad you could experience Bell

I remember my first Friday night McQuades and I’ll never forget it

nothing beats Friday night McQuades period

Bormann9

That sure is an awfully impressive trophy Bormann9. I don't see how, but I am guessing the winning trophy is bigger? Mostly I am just flattered that you still think of me, it is good to know you took my constructive criticism to heart in order to fuel yourself through your softball season. How did the other weekends go? I mean they can't all have trophies right?

Did I do it right this time?

Photo1.png

Bormann9

1) Concessions closed at 1:30pm due to lack of volunteers.
2) Harwood is fkin.. beautiful.
3) Late Sunday starts encourage late Saturday fun..
4) We alllll know Grand FOrks runs the worst tournaments in ND*
5) Mike.. I love you.

I probably should have retired eh Jim?

Jim_Chimney

I probably should have retired eh Jim?

On second thought, probably not. Any good traveling team can use a speedy little extra :) #inspiration

4_1549089240.jpg

BigCat2310

Extra Hitter
Congrats to the Busch Bombers on the D championship. You boys had a great weekend and it was fun to watch. See you at nattys!