Need an opinion

**** move?

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

blakcherry329

So this past weekend we played in a Halloween Tournament. In the knockout round where playing a team we were pretty evenly matched with. 1 HR an inning, after that an out. Utrip rules. So we're tied going to extra innings. We're home. In the top of the 8th they hit a lead off HR, then managed to get bases loaded with 2 outs. Next batter hits a ball to the LF fence. Our LF backups up, trips on the soft warning track and bangs his head on the top bar of the fence. He slumped over, knocked dafuq out. Very scary to watch. So, we called 911, Ambulance came, checked him out for a about 30 minute. He was ok, but obviously couldn't go back on the field. We get the next guy and we're down by 5.

So, we were had everyone batting because it's a just a fun tournament. Now, our LF is an out in the lineup when he comes up. So we ask the other team if they can cut us some slack. The Coach said, and I quote, "I hate to be a ****, but we're going to take the out." I was dumbfounded. Needless to say the rest of our team was pissed. We had one the the guy's father hit. He used to play fastpitch and at 68 he hit a hard ground ball in the hole and the SS barely threw him out. Kinda impressive. We lost by 3, but we were more pissed about what we perceived as a DB move.

If this was a tournament that meant something, all bets are off. I understand. But players were in costumes playing softball, how serious was it?
Are we wrong to be pissed?

blakcherry329

To put a little perspective on our mindset...
A month ago our 5th man hit a guy running to first in the head. Again paramedics came. We told the the other team that they could skip him in the line-up. He was ok and actually skipped an AB then played the rest of the game. lol

Hiltz

Built for comfort
^^^ Unfortunately, this.

Announce that your LF is coming out of the lineup and you're taking an out when he's up. If the other team OFFERS to let you skip him, gravy. But I wouldn't expect it and I wouldn't ask for it.

On the other hand, if I was on the other team I would've slapped the coach for making you take the out.

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential
I think its a borderline DB move, but at the end of the day rules are rules... and while your team might have seen it as a 'fun" tournament that didn't mean anything, others have the prerogative to make decisions that can increase their chances to win...

It sounds lame, but it's true; whether in Halloween softball tourneys, pick up games at the YMCA or whatever, there will always be others that are more competitive/want to win more than others, whether it's DB-ish or not.

-G

Country469

I'm gonna leave an anecdote here, little reminder........

I got asked to play in some BS 3 HR per inning nonsense at a 270 park back like 5 years ago when i was still playing a ton and was at my peak.....it was a local nutter, a fundraiser, I didnt know what it was raisning money for and I didnt care what for.

I even donated a few cases of evil to them for the derby that day

bout 3:30 some ass hat is playing against us, hustling everything out, trying his damn hardest. Like its the state tourney and he's a senior ****.

I was not pitching and playing short, dude breaks up a double play. Me being a huge ego anyway, was like wtf kid you trying to break my fine looking athletic ass for? This aint the world series pipe the **** down.

So he kinda shakes his head, says he sorry, shakes my hand.

I get pulled over coming out next inning by blue, I'd known him for a while. tells me dudes' brother has luekemia and the tourney is raising money for him

Unless you know why someone is doing what they are, or what the game means to them that day, stfu and focus on playing the game the right way and having fun.

no one will remember the game you are playing in 5 years, they'll remember you being a total **** bag tho

blakcherry329

I got asked to play in some BS 3 HR per inning nonsense at a 270 park back like 5 years ago when i was still playing a ton and was at my peak.....it was a local nutter, a fundraiser, I didnt know what it was raisning money for and I didnt care what for.

bout 3:30 some ass hat is playing against us, hustling everything out, trying his damn hardest. Like its the state tourney and he's a senior ****.

I was not pitching and playing short, dude breaks up a double play. Me being a huge ego anyway, was like wtf kid you trying to break my fine looking athletic ass for? This aint the world series pipe the **** down.

I get pulled over coming out next inning by blue, I'd known him for a while. tells me dudes' brother has luekemia and the tourney is raising money for him

Unless you know why someone is doing what they are, or what the game means to them that day, stfu and focus on playing the game the right way and having fun.

no one will remember the game you are playing in 5 years, they'll remember you being a total **** bag tho
Not sure if that example applies here, but your last sentence does for sure.

Up until the end of the game, they were all cool and we were having fun. It was a good back and forth game with no drama whatsoever.

I guess it's just me. I would never take an out in that situation. I wouldn't feel good about a win like that. I guess I'm in the minority here.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
There was money on the line correct? I thought I heard about the upper team that won crying about how "little" they got for winning.

robokill

Manager
I always hear "we would never do that" but in practice I rarely see teams actually bend/ignore a rule for the benefit of the other team (there's a reasonable number of no ump leagues around here). So I'd recommend strictly enforcing the rules if it's to your benefit, and don't be mad when the other team does the same.

Matth

Not sure if that example applies here, but your last sentence does for sure.

Up until the end of the game, they were all cool and we were having fun. It was a good back and forth game with no drama whatsoever.

I guess it's just me. I would never take an out in that situation. I wouldn't feel good about a win like that. I guess I'm in the minority here.
Blakcherry, I fully agree with you. I wouldn’t feel good winning in that situation. They shouldn’t have taken the out and if you were in the same situation you shouldn’t take the out. You almost win on a technicality when stuff like this occurs. In a high level game, sure stick to the rules. In a fun game, don’t apologize for being a jerk. Just simply forego being a jerk in the first place.

Matth

Good points. Seriously though. We do have to consider what the other person is going through. I find it hard at times not to react to offenses or perceived offenses, especially after a hard day or week, but not reacting is what I strive for.

blakcherry329

you should have cleared the bench and tore that place up
LOL. A couple of guys were really pissed and didn't shake hands. One of them called me a ***** because I did shake hands. lol I told him it's called being an adult and I don't stoop to other people's levels. I did let the Coach know that it was f-ed up and just own it. Don't say, "I hate to be a ****....", because that's exactly what you're being. Like saying no disrespect, the next sentence is always disrespectful. LOL

Everyone watching their next game was heckling them. It didn't help that they were playing a team that placed in the top 10 at E Worlds this year. :D

FLEET

bowling ball nut swanga
LOL. A couple of guys were really pissed and didn't shake hands. One of them called me a ***** because I did shake hands. lol I told him it's called being an adult and I don't stoop to other people's levels. I did let the Coach know that it was f-ed up and just own it. Don't say, "I hate to be a ****....", because that's exactly what you're being. Like saying no disrespect, the next sentence is always disrespectful. LOL

Everyone watching their next game was heckling them. It didn't help that they were playing a team that placed in the top 10 at E Worlds this year. :D

my team left without shaking one night and i'll never do it again. felt more douchey than the other team. if i'm that urked again, i'll just put some snot or ball sweat on my hand before we high five.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans

The irony here is that you guys were the ones that created the "drama" when you asked to break the rule. You're putting that coach in a position to choose between helping his team move forward in the tourney or being considered a **** by you. That's a no-win for him, because it might piss off his teammates if he gives you a pass.
Like Country said, just play by the rules and there's no problem.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

Did you let anyone that fouled out have another swing? Let the other team hit hrs over the limit?

If he'd protested your roster when the guy's dad hit that's going a little far imo, but even then you can't get mad. The lineup rule is just like any other, and where does along for a little slack stop?

The only real dbs are your guys that didn't shake. They were mad, how mad would his team have been if he'd let the out go and y'all came back and won?

He's a db for the, i hate to do it remark.

The ump is the real db for considering it imo. I absolutely hate when the ump says ask the other team. Call based on the fricking rules. This is what causes all this extra drama anyway.

blakcherry329

The irony here is that you guys were the ones that created the "drama" when you asked to break the rule. You're putting that coach in a position to choose between helping his team move forward in the tourney or being considered a **** by you. That's a no-win for him, because it might piss off his teammates if he gives you a pass.
Like Country said, just play by the rules and there's no problem.
Technically, rules are rules. I get it.
In a major tourney, the decision would be made by the officials, plus I wouldn't expect any bending of the rules. In a holiday tournament, in loser's bracket of the knockout round, not so much.
I wouldn't make a team take an out if someone that got injured. Like I said, I might be in the minority here.

blakcherry329

Did you let anyone that fouled out have another swing? Let the other team hit hrs over the limit?

If he'd protested your roster when the guy's dad hit that's going a little far imo, but even then you can't get mad. The lineup rule is just like any other, and where does along for a little slack stop?

The only real dbs are your guys that didn't shake. They were mad, how mad would his team have been if he'd let the out go and y'all came back and won?

He's a db for the, i hate to do it remark.

The ump is the real db for considering it imo. I absolutely hate when the ump says ask the other team. Call based on the fricking rules. This is what causes all this extra drama anyway.

WTF are you talking about? That's not even remotely the same thing.
Rosters were open, btw. The TD said it was ok for the guy's father to bat.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Technically, rules are rules. I get it.
In a major tourney, the decision would be made by the officials, plus I wouldn't expect any bending of the rules. In a holiday tournament, in loser's bracket of the knockout round, not so much.
I wouldn't make a team take an out if someone that got injured. Like I said, I might be in the minority here.

I wouldn't make a team take an out in that situation either. And if someone on my team wanted to make you take an out, I would've been having words with him.

But I would never EXPECT another team to bend the rules for me and I certainly wouldn't ask them to do it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
WTF are you talking about? That's not even remotely the same thing.
Rosters were open, btw. The TD said it was ok for the guy's father to bat.
There is no, same thing. That's the point. What you're cool with isn't what someone else is cool with. It devolves into a macho pissing contest unless you just play by the rules. You're a ***** because you're making me take the out. Oh yeah? You're a ***** because you didn't give me an extra foul when you know this ump is terrible. Oh yeah? Well you took the out when i hit a second home run of the inning.

Rules are rules, and you either play by all of them or none of them or you take what you get. There is no, it's a fun tourney so we get to do x, and if we don't they're dbs. Understand now?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't make a team take an out in that situation either. And if someone on my team wanted to make you take an out, I would've been having words with him.

But I would never EXPECT another team to bend the rules for me and I certainly wouldn't ask them to do it.
If it took them to 9 guys would you ask someone from your team to catch for them?

Btw, nobody but the umpire should be making them take an out. This idea that the umpires make us turn in lineup cards, but they can't be bothered to read them to enforce the rules so things become appeals, is awful.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
If it took them to 9 guys would you ask someone from your team to catch for them?

I've caught for the other team before in league and I almost tore my groin stretching for a crappy throw to get my buddy out at the plate, lol.

I've also played for the other team when they were short, not thrown out a batter who tripped coming out of the box, and went back to the bench and sat down after I accidentally buzzed a female pitcher in a fundraiser tournament.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've caught for the other team before in league and I almost tore my groin stretching for a crappy throw to get my buddy out at the plate, lol.

I've also played for the other team when they were short, not thrown out a batter who tripped coming out of the box, and went back to the bench and sat down after I accidentally buzzed a female pitcher in a fundraiser tournament.
I've done all of those except buzzing a woman, but i don't assume everyoneis a douche bag that doesn't.

blakcherry329

There is no, same thing. That's the point. What you're cool with isn't what someone else is cool with. It devolves into a macho pissing contest unless you just play by the rules. You're a ***** because you're making me take the out. Oh yeah? You're a ***** because you didn't give me an extra foul when you know this ump is terrible. Oh yeah? Well you took the out when i hit a second home run of the inning.

Rules are rules, and you either play by all of them or none of them or you take what you get. There is no, it's a fun tourney so we get to do x, and if we don't they're dbs. Understand now?

What I understand is you're the "rules are rules" guy. I am not. In a charity/holiday tournament I'm not going to make a guy run the bases if he pulls a hammy. If they have injured players, I'll give them an extra runner. It's not that serious. I play to win, but giving a runner or not taking an out isn't a big deal to me. All that does is not give my team a chance to win on a technicality. No biggie.

Again, IDKWTF you're talking about with the macho pissing contest BS. It was an isolated injury related incident. Had nothing to do with extra HRs or extra fouls or whatever off subject example you want to throw out there.:rolleyes:

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Again, IDKWTF you're talking about with the macho pissing contest BS. It was an isolated injury related incident. Had nothing to do with extra HRs or extra fouls or whatever off subject example you want to throw out there.:rolleyes:

It has to do with how do we get to pick and choose which rules to adhere to and which to bend for our benefit/liking. Simple answer is don't bend them and just follow the rules of play as written.

This may have been advertised as a holiday tourney, but there was money going to the winner which automatically changes things, and for many it's the last time out for the year, so why would we help the opponent have a better chance of ending our day/season/year earlier?

It would have been a nice gesture, but no harm is declining the opportunity to help your team out. Meaningless league night different story.....but key word is meaningless....as most teams wouldn't do it in the playoffs.

blakcherry329

It has to do with how do we get to pick and choose which rules to adhere to and which to bend for our benefit/liking. Simple answer is don't bend them and just follow the rules of play as written.

This may have been advertised as a holiday tourney, but there was money going to the winner which automatically changes things, and for many it's the last time out for the year, so why would we help the opponent have a better chance of ending our day/season/year earlier?

It would have been a nice gesture, but no harm is declining the opportunity to help your team out. Meaningless league night different story.....but key word is meaningless....as most teams wouldn't do it in the playoffs.
Like I said, I'm in the minority here, np. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here. Money or not, doesn't matter to me, I wouldn't do it. Injury is the key here, to me. That's the only reason to circumvent a rule, imo.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I understand is you're the "rules are rules" guy. I am not. In a charity/holiday tournament I'm not going to make a guy run the bases if he pulls a hammy. If they have injured players, I'll give them an extra runner. It's not that serious. I play to win, but giving a runner or not taking an out isn't a big deal to me. All that does is not give my team a chance to win on a technicality. No biggie.

What you fail to understand is i can objectively discuss things without them being about myself personally. It is the rule, it's not that serious, and i wouldn't have said **** about him or called it out. You asked if they're dbs and they are not. If anyone is really a db it's your team getting pissed about them playing by the rules when all you had to do was pick someone up. Especially the guys not shaking hands. If it's not serious enough to play by all the rules its damn sure not serious enough to ***** out and not shake hands.

You think not taking an out is no big deal. All those things i stated are rules, and I've seen teams do that. I've seen teams ask to play without matching unis, then turn around and forfeit the people that let them slide the next time they play. I've seen teams ***** at another team about not modifying the rules mid-game for any number of reasons, and it usually heads toward a fight because of the way they go about it.

I don't understand how this is so hard to understand. Batting out of order, skipping an ab because of injury, asking for a mulligan, they're all asking for exceptions to the rule because now the game isn't serious. If you haven't seen it, consider yourself lucky.