need clarification

Joker

i got a guy saying that you can only swing senior bats in senior ball. that doesn't sound right

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Doesn't sound right. I have heard of many swinging utrip or asa. Sanctioned ball I assume?

Joker

no clue, dude just back out of a deal cause he he knows its ASA legal but thinks it needs to be a senior bat to be used in senior ball

stork

On all the bats it says All xxx slow-pitch bats stamped 1.21 BPF or lower are approved. Except Miken which says that in addition to "excluding the Original Gray Miken Ultra.".

stork

120 mph bats are ok as well it seems though they are obviously much slower.

hitemdeep

Addicted to Softballfans
that doesn't answer the question about non senior bats
How does it not answer the ? You can swing any bat asa usssa nsa senior or non senior by those manufactures as stated on the list if it has the 1.21 bpf stamp. At least that's how they explained it to us.

Doug

Old and Grumpy
Depending on the league, it may allow USSSA bats which usually have a BPF 1.20 stamp, but NOT allow ASA bats which often DO NOT have any BPF stamp.

Any reasonable person would correctly assume that except under very rare circumstances an ASA bat would not be expected to outperform a senior bat and should therefore be OK to use, but without a BPF 1.20 or 1.21 stamp, it could be technically illegal to use depending on league rules.

The buyer might be correct in thinking that he can't use an ASA bat for his league, but he should have checked this out BEFORE agreeing to buy the bat so that reneging wasn't necessary.

Joker

pretty sure every 99% of the ASA legal bats made since 2000 have said "1.20 BPF" on them

stork

The buyer might be correct in thinking that he can't use an ASA bat for his league, but he should have checked this out BEFORE agreeing to buy the bat so that reneging wasn't necessary.
This is the correct answer to this thread. All the other stuff is just fluff.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Smmmhhfff, I cant even use a ****ing two piece alloy bat in most of my senior leagues. I dont see where anyone would call out an ASA bat if you u can swing a SSUSA 1.21 bat. I have a red old school ASA Recoil that just behind my Jason Kendrick Platinum Senior bat, a Jeff Hall SA thats right there and my new purple EST XXL that I would swing in any senior game. Guy sis just backing out of the the deal Joker

ABLXTRA

veteran
JOKER
hope this clarifies your question , straight from SSUSA web site.

check the approved bat list included at bottom . it says 1.21 or lower ,but leagues may be different up to the director
  • Beginning on Jan. 1, 2014, Senior Softball-USA will license new senior bats and publish an Approved Bat List for all sanctioned SSUSA Tournaments.

• This policy is being implemented for two reasons:

First and foremost, it is designed to protect our players and the sport. In the past few years, several entities have begun developing senior bats. This policy provides a significant barrier to bat manufacturers who do not have the wherewithal to establish manufacturing procedures that meet minimum industry standards to ensure bats are consistently meeting standards.

Second, it is a fairness issue: many of the bat manufacturers support the sport through some type of sponsorships. These sponsors face economic requirements that other bat manufacturers, who do not support the sport, do not face. This policy is designed to even the playing field.

The SSUSA bat policy is simple:

1. Each model and weight must be submitted to Dr. Richard Brandt at New York University and be tested and meet the 1.21 bpf standard. Dr. Brandt forwards his results directly to SSUSA. The bats must also meet other standards listed in the SSUSA Rulebook, including length.
    2. Bat manufacturers with bats that meet the standard, then pay a minimum licensing fee each year.
    3. Senior Softball USA requires manufacturers to name Senior Softball-USA as additionally insured on a $10 million liability insurance policy in case of injury.
    4. After the agreement is reached, and SSUSA receives a copy of the insurance coverage, the bat is added to the Approved SSUSA Bat list and may be used in all SSUSA tournaments.
SSUSA Approved Bats

Beginning on Jan. 1, 2014, Senior Softball-USA licenses new senior bats and publishes an Approved Bat List for all sanctioned SSUSA Tournaments.

The following bats have been approved for Senior Softball-USA use:

Updated February 28, 2017

Adidas:

All Adidas slow-pitch bats stamped 1.21 BPF or lower are approved.

Combat:

All Combat slow-pitch bats stamped 1.21 BPF or lower are approved.

DeMarini:

All DeMarini slow-pitch bats stamped 1.21 BPF or lower are approved.

Dudley:

All Dudley slow-pitch bats stamped 1.21 BPF or lower are approved.

Easton:

All Easton slow-pitch bats stamped 1.21 BPF or lower are approved.

Louisville Slugger:

All Louisville Slugger slow-pitch bats stamped 1.21 BPF or lower are approved.

Miken Sports:

All Miken slow-pitch softball bats stamped 1.21 BPF or lower are approved, excluding the Original Gray Miken Ultra.

Mizuno:

All Mizuno slow-pitch bats stamped 1.21 BPF or lower are approved.

Monsta:

All Monsta slow-pitch bats stamped 1.21 BPF or lower are approved.

Reebok:

All Reebok slow-pitch bats stamped 1.21 BPF or lower are approved.

Worth:

All Worth slow-pitch softball bats stamped 1.21 BPF or lower are approved

hitemdeep

Addicted to Softballfans
Smmmhhfff, I cant even use a ****ing two piece alloy bat in most of my senior leagues. I dont see where anyone would call out an ASA bat if you u can swing a SSUSA 1.21 bat. I have a red old school ASA Recoil that just behind my Jason Kendrick Platinum Senior bat, a Jeff Hall SA thats right there and my new purple EST XXL that I would swing in any senior game. Guy sis just backing out of the the deal Joker

Well my teammate got called out for using the old green flipper. they were losing he got a base hit drove in 2 runs and they called it out. He got ejected and the rule was any asa bat with a 2000 or 2004 was legal for play but they threw it out stating it didn't have the 1,21 we ended up losing because we went down to 9 guys. they ended up refunding us $250 because they made the wrong call.

stork

Which proves that just because they are wrong, doesn't make you right right now.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Well my teammate got called out for using the old green flipper. they were losing he got a base hit drove in 2 runs and they called it out. He got ejected and the rule was any asa bat with a 2000 or 2004 was legal for play but they threw it out stating it didn't have the 1,21 we ended up losing because we went down to 9 guys. they ended up refunding us $250 because they made the wrong call.

Which proves that just because they are wrong, doesn't make you right right now.

One of my biggest bitches about any situations like this is , if you have ****ing rules, print them out and refer to them when **** like this happens!

BruceinGa

always online
Some senior bats aren't approved for SSUSA, for instance the Nightmare by AD Starr. The company must pay for insurance before being approved by SSUSA.

Dogue

Evil Genius
The AD Starr bat isn't listed as approved or disapproved on the SSUSA site.

I get the insurance thing but I think that if a bat itself is approved as meeting the standards and gets the stamp, then it should stay approved. It's really not fair to the consumer to have a bat they spent $200 on suddenly be illegal. Happened briefly to the Dudley's too and look how many of those bats are being used in senior ball.

Fennellwg

The AD Starr bat isn't listed as approved or disapproved on the SSUSA site.

I get the insurance thing but I think that if a bat itself is approved as meeting the standards and gets the stamp, then it should stay approved. It's really not fair to the consumer to have a bat they spent $200 on suddenly be illegal. Happened briefly to the Dudley's too and look how many of those bats are being used in senior ball.

Dave D was pretty clear about the status of bats with unpaid insurance.
If you are not on the 'approved list', you are officially NOT approved.

I think AD Starr is the only company that did not pay up.
Which is surprising considering they are currently marketing a 2017 issue of their senior Nightmare with a significant bump in price.
...pretty good bat with excellent durability.

Not sure who's to blame in this case, but it does appear the consumer is getting screwed.

hitemdeep

Addicted to Softballfans
This is false. According the rules any bat made AFTER 2013 must clealry be marked
and or stamped "approved for SSUSA" 3-4 (3). Which I think is stupid.

Fennellwg

u can use any ASA bat in senior softball
That sounds logical.
But I tend to side with hitemdeep
Recent 'clarification' by SSUSA staff has provided a pretty narrow list of bats approved for senior use. A few popular senior bats recently failed the approval process for either financial or admin reasons.
I'm sure many of the ASA bat manufacturers would choose not to pay for approval of bats in SSUSA if marketed for a different association. I believe the sticking point is more financial and not performance.
IMO,
Bill