Need help choosing OF Glove for Daughter

mfoster

Manager
My Daughter plays Travel Fastpitch Softball at a competitive level. She has played Infield mostly with a Vinci 1929-L 12.5". This glove plays around 12.25". She is starting to rotate to the Outfield occasionally so I was hoping for some help identifying baseball gloves with smaller hand stalls that would suit her.
Thanks for any help on models to choose from.

fuzzai

Starting Player
Every Rawlings i've used always has the normal 4 loop opening. unlike when u go to wilson. their 1799 is a 6 loop opening if i remember correctly.

For outfield, id suggest a Rawlings 303.. If she uses TIP it groups the fingers up together making it feel "tighter"/smaller.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
I would go with a Rawlings HOH PRO302CVDM. 12.75" H-web with a small-ish hand opening. Even more so than the 303.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
In the Rawlings lineup, the 302-CVDM is an excellent choice (much snugger hand stall than a 303 or 1799), and there seem to be some great deals on these right now. Pocket is a little small for a 12" softball, but what I did on mine is swap in a 5" wide web and it just got deep enough that a 12" ball fits perfectly (def a mod I'd recommend for a 302 used in the OF).

I'd also recommend the Nokona BKF1300. Because the Ristankor strap tightens form the pinkie side, not really designed for TIP, but I relaced one for a mens A player who broke one in TIP and loved it. Great pattern if you can get past the Velcro.

mfoster

Manager
How about any of the 12.75" Louisville Slugger Gloves? I've never tried any of these gloves on but seems like I've read that they have a smaller fit.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
My FL1300C55 had a slightly smaller hand opening, but overall the hand stall was as large as a 303 or 1799. Any glove with a bigger palm area is going to have a longer reach to the finger stalls.

J2U

2.5 Tool Player
On the lower end I've been pretty impressed with the fastpitch Wilson Onyx series. Model WTA12RF1513 is a 13 inch h-web with a padded velcro closure. I'm breaking one in for a lady on my coed team and it's much nicer a lighter than I expected, better than the 800 & 1000 series that I compared it to. It plays a true 13, small finger stalls but will work with TIP, and it also has a palm pad. Good stiffness in the thumb & pinky, very thin heel, and the leather has that almost sticky suppleness of kip but it's obviously not kip at a price point of $120.

Like others have mentioned already, the 302-cvdm would also be my choice on the higher end.

MaverickAH

My Daughter plays Travel Fastpitch Softball at a competitive level. She has played Infield mostly with a Vinci 1929-L 12.5". This glove plays around 12.25". She is starting to rotate to the Outfield occasionally so I was hoping for some help identifying baseball gloves with smaller hand stalls that would suit her.
Thanks for any help on models to choose from.

I would suggest a fast pitch glove from Vinci's 22 Series. A RCV1250-22 (12.5") or RCV1300-22 (13") would definitely fit the bill. They both play true to size & are excellent gloves. The hand stalls are normal but they have Velcro straps. Excellent bang for the buck.

If you want to stay with the Limited Series, you have the RCV125-L (12.5") but I'm not sure on the sizing on that one. It might play smaller than spec.

All 3 will be superior to her 1929-L as that was an original Limited model made from a thinner, lighter grade of kip leather. You don't say how old your daughter is but if she is pre-HS, I'd definitely stick with the 22 Series.

I would also recommend the All-Star Velo Series gloves.

mfoster

Manager
Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to give their input. I see MaverickAH mentioned the All-Star Vela Fastpitch glove. It is three fingered glove and I have been interested in this series but wasn't sure about the quality? Seems that I have heard that even though All-Star gloves are priced lower that the leather quality is good. Can anyone vouch for or dispute this?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I was seeing PRO302CVDMs on the bay and at some online sellers for $155, which I think would be a better option than the Vela, but the best deal I can find right now is $180. Not sure how a $150 Vela compares quality-wise as I have not seen one.

That being said, I like the 3 finger idea and wish there were more out there. Using TIP with a four finger glove almost always forces the glove to sit a little cattywampus on your hand as the pinkie stall is vertically oriented for a little finger, not a ring finger (over time, leather usually stretches to make this work). With a 3 finger design, the pinkie stall could be made at the correct angle. Of course, the Velo pinkie doesn't look wide enough to necessarily accomplish that... if you get one, let us know!

MaverickAH

The leather used for the All-Star Vela's is solid & will take some time to break in. You will have no worries about this glove. I think that Vinci & All-Star offer the best value.

Other gloves I'd recommend on the top end are the Wilson A2000 Fastpitch & the Mizuno Classic or Global Elite Fast Pitch Series.

The Shoeless Jane Fast Pitch gloves (which the store sells.......) are pretty nice. They're well made with an old school look & smell. They offer a quick break in without getting floppy if you treat it right. my only caveat with them is the lack of padding in the palm. This should be less of an issue for outfield use though.

Worth Liberty Advanced can also be considered although not my favorite.

Nokona will probably break your budget & I haven't seen an Akadema in too long a time to make a recommendation

On the budget end you also have:
Mizuno MVP Prime
Wilson Onyx
Wilson 6-4-3
Akadema Fastpitch
Louisville Slugger Xeno

I don't think that I'd look at the budget gloves if she's playing true travel ball unless she's playing 10U or under.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
What age is your daughter? For hand stall size I like Rous' recommendation on the 302CVDM. My DD is 14 and is using a 12" kip leather Vinci, she pitches and plays SS. I've never actually held an All Star Vela fielders glove but I do own a All Star CMW3000 catchers mitt and it's a very high quality mitt, great leather. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the Vela fastpitch gloves uses the Maruhashi leather like what's on their baseball gloves or the mitt I have.

mfoster

Manager
My daughter is 12 years old and is playing second year 12u Travel Ball. Looking for an OF glove to go along with the Vinci 1929-L that she uses for 3b.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Just looked up the 12.5" All Star Vela, although I'm not a fan of Velcro it's a great looking glove ! There is some really good prices on these right now on the bay. My only complaint on my All Star mitt would be the laces, nowhere near the quality of the laces on my horween Rawlings but they should be fine for a couple of years. If not I know a guy here who can relace it. For $99 it looks pretty hard to beat.

ghunt25

I picked up an A1K, and I think the leather is pretty good. Softer than A2000, shouldn't take much to break in. You can get them for a pretty good price, around $70 or so. Handstall is very, very Pedroia. I can squeeze my hand in there, I'm a Large batting glove. Not that comfortable though. I think it's a great glove for those with smaller hands.

MaverickAH

I picked up an A1K, and I think the leather is pretty good. Softer than A2000, shouldn't take much to break in. You can get them for a pretty good price, around $70 or so. Handstall is very, very Pedroia. I can squeeze my hand in there, I'm a Large batting glove. Not that comfortable though. I think it's a great glove for those with smaller hands.

The problem with the A1K is that it's made for LL baseball & doesn't come in sizes bigger than 12.25".

It's not an option in this case.........

ghunt25

For a 12 year old, it's a great glove. I think the leather and finish of the glove is a great option. The 12.25 is a good size. Most of the college ballplayers I know use a similar size in the OF.

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
You may be right, but if she is already using a 12.5" for third base and wants something bigger for the OF, then I doubt she'll be happy with a smaller glove.

mfoster

Manager
You may be right, but if she is already using a 12.5" for third base and wants something bigger for the OF, then I doubt she'll be happy with a smaller glove.

I found an All-Star Vela 12.5 for $99 on Amazon. I also see a pre-owned Pro302CVDM for $135 on ebay. Not sure what to do? How much would it cost to have the 5" web installed like you recommend? With the Vela we get it and immediately start breaking it in. The Rawlings will need to be sent to have the web mod. What's your thought on the most practical approach while at the same time getting what is best for my daughter? Thank you

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
I found an All-Star Vela 12.5 for $99 on Amazon. I also see a pre-owned Pro302CVDM for $135 on ebay. Not sure what to do? How much would it cost to have the 5" web installed like you recommend? With the Vela we get it and immediately start breaking it in. The Rawlings will need to be sent to have the web mod. What's your thought on the most practical approach while at the same time getting what is best for my daughter? Thank you

Here's a pre-owned CVDM for $100.

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1411723