Need Some Advice

miltho249

Addicted to Softballfans
I currently made a commitment to a team with some friends of mine. We are playing D and have a good squad. I was just asked to play conference C with a factory team. I'm not sure what I should do. I would love to play up and have the sponsorship but I don't think my buddies or team now would be alright with me going to play with them. Any advice?

moorerm04

Addicted to Softballfans
Put yourself in your friends shoes... If you are good enough to be asked to okay up this year, you will be good enough to play up next year. Do the right thing man.

miltho249

Addicted to Softballfans
That's what I figured. I haven't really played to much competitive softball so I'm not sure how often opportunities come like this.

-Six-

Weiner
Exactly play up. Drink beers with your mates later. Bring some of the ladies you can pull from your big boi team.

Odog

Addicted to Softballfans
You only have a few seasons at your peak, play up. If you don't care about that then play with your buddies. You need to decide.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I would think your friends would be excited for the opportunity you have and be happy to have you back if it doesn't work out. If otherwise, maybe they're not close as you think and just looking out for themselves. You have to make your own decision and take responsibility either way, just another perspective.

doG

dabz
I would think your friends would be excited for the opportunity you have and be happy to have you back if it doesn't work out. If otherwise, maybe they're not close as you think and just looking out for themselves. You have to make your own decision and take responsibility either way, just another perspective.

Exactly. Moving up, being sponsored...seems like a no brainer.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
Im all about being a man of your word and staying true to a commitment but an opportunity to play up on a sponsored factory team is kind of a big deal that most people would love the opportunity to do. If theyre your true friends, theyll be happy for you and want you to do whats best for you. If they scoff at you and get ****ty, they werent that good of friends to begin with. If you were going from one D team to another D team, sponsored or not, you need to stick with your commitment and your friends which seems logical in the first place.

jwashko9

Addicted to Softballfans
Gotta stick with the team you already committed with - especially because its made up of your friends. I wouldn't hide the fact that you got asked to play up, but don't flaunt it either. Just drop some hints to the people that need to know on your current team. You would hope that the sponsored team is stable enough to still have a team in 2015. It's probable that if they wanted you to play this year, there might be a spot for you next year as well. If there's no spot in '15 or that team folds, you continue to have a good relationship with the team you're on currently.

Last edited:

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
That's what I figured. I haven't really played to much competitive softball so I'm not sure how often opportunities come like this.

IDK... Its one thing to leave a team for another team (that is on the same level)... but if you have a chance to play up (Conference at that)... most of the guys will understand.

Stretch19

Grow up
real talk, if these guys are your friends, they will understand the opportunity that you get is one that might not come around again

be real with your buddies and they will understand...if they dont want you to take this opportunity to play the best level of ball you can, then they arent really your buddies

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
Why are you asking SBF? Bring it up with your friends/team. You may be surprised that they tell you to go play. The spot on the C team will get filled with somebody else if you turn it down. Have to take your chances when the arise. If your serious about playing a higher level of ball then go for it. If not have fun with your buds and play ball.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
I need more info...

Do you play a premium position on your D league team? Such as Catcher or Right Center? If you do, it'd be kind of **** move to leave your buddies hanging. You can't just throw anyone out there at catcher. You know?

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
I currently made a commitment to a team with some friends of mine. We are playing D and have a good squad. I was just asked to play conference C with a factory team. I'm not sure what I should do. I would love to play up and have the sponsorship but I don't think my buddies or team now would be alright with me going to play with them. Any advice?

Stick with your boys, if the upper team wants you so badly they will come calling next year or when the D season is done..just my .02

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
real talk, if these guys are your friends, they will understand the opportunity that you get is one that might not come around again

be real with your buddies and they will understand...if they dont want you to take this opportunity to play the best level of ball you can, then they arent really your buddies

this right here^^^^

I had a situation similar to OP's several years ago. I was on a C tourney team, had played on the team for 3 years, all good friends, then got asked to play for an A tourney team about a month into the season. I told the C team what the deal was, and they all wished me luck, nobody was mad at me. Every one of them said they would do the exact same thing. Unfortunately for me, after the season was over, the A team disbanded, but the C team welcomed me back, no hard feelings whatsoever.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Stick with your boys, if the upper team wants you so badly they will come calling next year or when the D season is done..just my .02

or they will fill that slot with someone else, and won't come calling again. you only get so many opportunities to play at that level

joesmoe2012

Insane Dedication
I had a situation arise like this 2 years ago. A teammate of mine got asked to play on one of if not the best traveling team around. It was a no brainer. I told him if I was 10 years younger and had the chance I'd do it. I don't think it's letting your friends down at all. He still subs for us now and then. If guys have a chance to play up, then I think they should.

Mwallace5

The Veteran

This right here.... If anyone of my friends had this kind of opportunity I'd be all for them taking it, just like I'd want their support if it were me