Need some batting advice!

irishblood9

Stay Gold, Ponyboy!
Feel like a major newb here but I have nowhere else to turn. The past four games Ive had two hits in about roughly 15 at bats. I am popping everything up. Ive tried keeping my shoulder up, changing my stance, changing bats. I am a mess right now. In fact the last few at bats feels as if I've never swung a bat in my life. Any advice out there for getting out of a slump and back on track?

MR. ASA HOLE

Addicted to Softballfans
BP, BP, and more BP.

However, when taking said BP, try to simulate game situations and DON'T SWING AT EVERYTHING, just 'cause it's BP. You'll never be able to "wait for your pitch" until you figure out what your pitch is.

Jbird11

BP session where you think two things... "Hands back, Hands high".

Popping up is also sometimes a result of overstriding too... so maybe load up on the back leg a little more and taking a more compact stride.

palou77

Manager
I'm having the opposite problem. I keep hitting grounders to the left side. The ball keeps ending up in on my hands. I've been going to the cages a few times a week and even there I can't get my mind right. Last season I was a decent hitter, primarily line drives. I don't know what the heck to do. I am our pitcher and I throw BP for everyone else, so it's hard for me to get "game-like" pitches in BP. Fundamentally I know I am crowding the plate, but I need some kind of method to get myself straightened out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Palou77

Jbird11

I'm having the opposite problem. I keep hitting grounders to the left side. The ball keeps ending up in on my hands. I've been going to the cages a few times a week and even there I can't get my mind right. Last season I was a decent hitter, primarily line drives. I don't know what the heck to do. I am our pitcher and I throw BP for everyone else, so it's hard for me to get "game-like" pitches in BP. Fundamentally I know I am crowding the plate, but I need some kind of method to get myself straightened out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Palou77

Stand away from the plate in the box, and take the inside pitches for balls... whack the balls you can extend your arms on...

xLongBallx

I may have a problem.....
dont over think batting, it is unnecessary to focus on everything you are doing when you step up to the plate. simply slow your swing down and just focus on making contact. everything will come back in time... good luck to you

R. Boogie

Addicted to Softballfans
You need a long, leisurely bp session where you aren't rushing or having to swing at bad pitches. Just start out basic and try to make good contact. Work your way up from there.

I'd also recommend getting a tee and getting familiar with hitting off of it. If you don't have anyone to pitch a tee can help greatly.

Also, hit with some people who can diagnose your problem and help you solve
it.

I agree with this. Working off the tee will definetly start to correct your swing plane. I recommend hitting easy until you see you are making consistant contact. Then start looking to drive the ball. Work on hitting line drives and then hitting with authority to all fields.

Then when you take live bp you can reinforce what you learned hitting off the tee. Remember when you start pressing in your at bats you are trying to do too much. Relax and don't let it get to you. Cuz once it's in your head that you can't hit, then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Believe in yourself and the work you are doing behind the scenes will start to pay off.

Although pitchers probably don't want to hear this (although it doesn't have to be in a game), I think going opposite field or up the middle can correct some problems you might be having. You have to stay with the pitch longer and direct the ball with your swing.

Villeson

Addicted to Softballfans
I find that when I'm popping up its because I'm lunging towards the ball instead of anchoring my front foot keeping my upper body still. Try not taking a big leg kick during your BP sessions and that should straighten things out.

Cubslover

Certified Mother****er
I find that when I'm popping up its because I'm lunging towards the ball instead of anchoring my front foot keeping my upper body still. Try not taking a big leg kick during your BP sessions and that should straighten things out.

Yep, seems to be my case too. I try to put a big stride into one, then fly out to the IF. Short strides, elbow up ALL the way through the zone.

As McCoy said, take a couple BP rounds, but tell the pitcher you're going to be picky. Don't swing at bad pitches and don't worry about how many you hit out in your BP session. I take a couple targets out and put them where the 5/6 and 7/8 holes are and work on roping ball at those targets. Once you start hitting squarely again, slowly start lifting the ball again until you are getting the distance you want.

Hehateme

Addicted to Softballfans
When you over stride, your mechanics break down. Short stride , as others mentioned, is the key IMO

boley18

The Veteran
When I get in a slump I hit off a tee alot and work on the bascis. i also hit infield to the team. This seems to get me to keep my hands back and hit the ball in the middle of the ball.

gamblers99

Star Player
A date with my soft toss machine & net. Slow things down. Relaxed hands. Compact stride. I just came out of the same thing.....I was striding huge and trying to hammer it into the next county.

Cubslover

Certified Mother****er
When I get in a slump I hit off a tee alot and work on the bascis. i also hit infield to the team. This seems to get me to keep my hands back and hit the ball in the middle of the ball.

Hitting off a tee messes my swing up.

laverdt

Addicted to Softballfans
keep the hands up and high but don't put that elbow up high. Get a nice comfortable stance and watch the ball all the way until it hits your bat. When making contact turn your hands over and swing all the way through the ball. Then run like hell to first base.

Scooby

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't try to kill the ball and relax.That relax at the plate crap actually works.:D

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う
I was in a big time slump and doing the same thing, popping up. I took a bunch of bp and was still doing the same thing during game time. I had a couple guys batting behind me to take a look and lmk if my feet, hands, arms get too busy before my swing. They said no not really but it seems like I was too deep in the box which made the strikes being called right around my knees. Moved way up in the box and now I'm driving the ball again.

irishblood9

Stay Gold, Ponyboy!
Thanks gents, all this info makes perfect sense. It is amazing how we can complicate such a simple game. As I am going through my at bats i think I may be striding too far out. Seriously thanks for all your help with my case of the shanks.

palou77

Manager
ditto. thanks for all the tips. I'm going to have a couple guys that hit behind me watch me hit and see if my mechanics are breaking down. The slump has been making me want to kill the ball. I just need to RELAX. thanks again guys.

Zipperking

WTP all day
When I'm in a slump I like to move up a little in the box too. Usually if I'm pop out, it's because I swung at a short pitch and lunged for it. Other than that just make sure you are watching the ball all the way to the bat and swing level. Good luck!

Iknight1

Addicted to Softballfans
get a tee and work on keeping you swing level. BP and slow your swing down until your good.

daddypoe

Baller on a Budget
When I'm in a slump I walk the box my next couple at bats. I have to concentrate on the ball more and adjust to the pitch. There is probably no rhyme or reason that this works for me but that is what I do.

That and I always hit the cages on game days and really concentrate on the ball.

bearski

Addicted to Softballfans
BP, SEX. And sounds simple but go back to basics. Hit ball dead middle. swing straight.thats the main thing your probably swinging upwards. Swing level. and watch a few pitches go by. Im sure this is all not your swing. Its probably some bad pitches your going after. You gotta know your strikezone.

JustinSS

McGlovin #6
Close your stance a little and drive the ball to the right side. It will keep you from dropping your shoulder as much.