Need some decent girls, finding none, so trying Craig's List...

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
Any one else ever try this for recruiting players (Man, I should have thought that title through more)?

Worried it will bring out the kooks, so tried to lay it out to prevent that.

Maybe this will get us a couple Lady Gamers, maybe not. Worth a shot...

Like with most co-ed rec, girls make a BIG difference, and they have always held us back, so might be an opportunity for us to not suck as much...

What do you think of post? Maybe it is asking too much, but I also do not want to waste time with noobs or freaks...

Co-ed Softball Team Looking for 2 SKILLED/SERIOUS F/T Girls for Season

** No, we do not need guys. Plenty of those already, thanks. **

Our Co-Ed team has been playing together for 10+ years, but a couple of our ladies have new babies, and as such, their schedules are being cut back to P/T.

Our team is middle of a pretty equitable league, meaning we have some better, some worse, and most can beat each other at some time. Female play is often key difference. Every team is in playoffs.

This is a popular/stable/fun league that has been going for 20+ years. No room for new teams and very little room for new players. If you live in/near Burlington and <3 Softball, this is "your in".

We seek 2-3 ladies whom can play F/T (20+game schedule 2x week+). Of course, we all miss some games, but we are looking for Commited, (semi)Serious players to join our team. No Noobs.

If you're REALLY good, we might consider P/T, but we already have a few of those, thanks...

If you haven't played in years, are kind of out-of-shape or don't feel confident playing with/against Men, this is likely not for you. Don't over-estimate your abilities, please. Saves us all time...

Some other things to consider whether or not this is for you are...

* No, we do not need guys. Plenty of those already, thanks.

* We play Tuesday & Thursday's. Usually both. Sometimes one or other. Could even be 2x same-day for one of those. Games start at 6-7:30/8 and can go until 10-11 (can/usually run late - we have lights).

* Mid-may to Mid-August, with usual holidays off. Might be some practices, too (usually not).

* Hi-Arc ASA 10-Player Rules (Self-umped - we use strike mats).

* Beer League (yes, some drink some, not a lot, but most games, some not at all - no pressure), but still kind of serious. Not overly so (think Men's league), but we do care/try. We are good sports-persons.

* You will likely play on right side (1B, 2B, RF/RC or Catcher). You may also share play time with P/T veterans or may be benched. Unless you Kick Butt, your F/T is essentially P/T, Rookie. Straight up.

* You will be on probation to start. For real. If it isn't a fit, or it turns out you stink, you're out. Again, straight up. No hard feelings.

* We're really a nice/relaxed/friendly bunch. Not super-tight group (some are), so it won't be weird/awkward being the new person. So, don't be too imtimidated, but don't be a freak, either. HmmmmK?

* If there is a cost (we may have a sponsor to cover these... working on it), it will be about $60-70. This covers league, shirt and other expenses. You strike out, you buy a case of beer. ;)

* You should have own glove (duh), and cleats/spikes (non-metal only). A bat would be nice, but not required. If you have one, it must be ASA-approved (seal on it).

* Most wear shorts. A few wear pants (OK, I'm "that guy"). Do not wear jeans or a skort and embarrass us. Unless you Kick Butt. Then you can wear whatever the heck you want (Jump-Suit, any one?)!

* No, we do not need guys. Plenty of those already, thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Flame away, SBF Regulars... :p

Last edited:

KannonsDad

**** you
I found my current league team on craigslist. I would strongly recommend having a practice/tryout before promising anybody a spot.

Meskin24

those arent pecks
I dont think any true player is going to take the time to read all of that IJS. Thats a big long for a I need players AD

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
I found my current league team on craigslist. I would strongly recommend having a practice/tryout before promising anybody a spot.

Yup. That is why I stated "you're on probation".

Tried to anticipate problems, since these may be total strangers (and totally strange)...

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
I dont think any true player is going to take the time to read all of that IJS. Thats a big long for a I need players AD

I considered that, but trying to not waste time with noobs/bad girl players - I have PLENTY of those to choose from... :rolleyes:

If they want in, they will have to bother reading it all. Kind of a filter of sorts...

Wow, I just don't know what to say.
Do you need any guys? :D

Seriously, our church team is in the same boat. Plenty of guys and hardly enough girls. We do have enough girls to field a co-ed team, but if a couple are having a bad week, we're in trouble. And the preacher said he's not wearing a dress, no matter how badly the team wants to play.

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
$10 says your first response is from a guy that says his gf plays but he wants to be on the team also

I know, I know... What is with people? :confused:

I MIGHT add a guy (if the girl is a ringer), but he would understand he is def 2nd string. I have enough issues with guys/play time...

bmurph

Addicted to Softballfans
i know a lot of girls that comb craigslist on the daily looking for softball teams to join, i say go for it

bmurph

Addicted to Softballfans
in all seriousness the key is stealing girls from other teams, if you offer them well paying jobs in your company you will probably land some ex-college types

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
i know a lot of girls that comb craigslist on the daily looking for softball teams to join, i say go for it

I did. ::Fingers Crossed::

Who knows, they may be HOT, even!

But I will take skills over hotness at this point, hard as that may be to do...

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
in all seriousness the key is stealing girls from other teams, if you offer them well paying jobs in your company you will probably land some ex-college types

I have tried this route. Hard to move them when you're team is not the best.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
I felt like the ad sends a bit of a mixed message. You're all, "this is beer league, but it's competitive, but it's relaxed, but don't come if you're weirdo or could potentially suck because we'll tell you to EAD, GFY and GTFO."

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
I felt like the ad sends a bit of a mixed message. You're all, "this is beer league, but it's competitive, but it's relaxed, but don't come if you're weirdo or could potentially suck because we'll tell you to EAD, GFY and GTFO."

Duly noted.

Want them to get we don't want "Who cares? It's Rec League - Attitude", but at same time, we're not going to yell at you, if you make an error.

We are in the middle of the "Seriousness Spectrum". Hard to convey...

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
Here is what I did a couple years ago.
I visit HS coaches as part of my job, selling stuff to them. I started talking to a local Fast Pitch coach about slow pitch. I decide right then "hell I'll put together a co-ed team" So I got local area Fastpitch coaches that were young and in shape...... anyways for one season we were awesome.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
With that long ass list of requirements and rules it sounds more like you are negotiating the new collective bargaining agreement for the NFL not looking for someone to join a fun softball team. Telling someone that is joining a new team that you are a fun beer league team but if they suck they are cut and that they are going to be a rookie and the older players get priority who the heck would want to join your team? I know a lot of really good female softball players they usually get priority because they are hard to come by, they never have trouble finding teams to play on and none of them would answer your add if they were looking for a new team.

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
With that long ass list of requirements and rules it sounds more like you are negotiating the new collective bargaining agreement for the NFL not looking for someone to join a fun softball team. Telling someone that is joining a new team that you are a fun beer league team but if they suck they are cut and that they are going to be a rookie and the older players get priority who the heck would want to join your team? I know a lot of really good female softball players they usually get priority because they are hard to come by, they never have trouble finding teams to play on and none of them would answer your add if they were looking for a new team.

I would rather get none or 1 good one, than a bunch of turds.

This way they know what to expect, and things don't get messy.

But, I agree, I am being picky. Too many nut-jobs on Craig's List...

I want the real-deal, or nothing at all. I can already find "used-to-play, but suck now" girl subs any time. Aiming high here...

newbill/kti15

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow... Cant believe I read this whole thread..
If I am ever 2nd string on a coed team, its time for me to find something else to do..
Just saying..

Good luck on your search though..

Jubei

Coach
My Coed team has been going through this same exact problem. A few facts if you dont already know.

#1 Any good seasoned female softball player either already has a team or has been offered a team.
#2 Finding a decent female softball player are just hard to come by in general.
#3 The best way to find female softball players are through other female softball players.
#4 Go to your local female league/tournament games and just ask around. This also gives you an opportunity to scout, eliminating the need for tryouts before invites.
#5 Avoid package deals, this is more trouble than its worth and make this clear to the female or male players you have. Nothing worse than having a awesome female on your team with a husband or boyfriend who has no clue about the sport yet he demands to play. In the end he has more influence than you thus taking his spouse or girlfriend with him when he quits.