USSSA Never knew this was a rule

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
I was playing in a tourney this weekend, we were playing 5 man and I was in the middle. Playing off to the pitchers right side, outside pitch, dude shuffles his feet to go the other way so I break to the other side of second. Ump calls dead ball and come out to me and says that im not allowed to move on the pitch while playing middle. He said this was a warning and if I did it again that he would have to eject me from the game. I apologized and said sorry, I did not know that was a rule. He then added thst I can move forward or backward during the pitch, just not side to side.

Is this only a USSSA rule? I mean I do this all the time in ASA and NSA and nobody has ever said that I couldnt.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
I do this all the time in the OF. Is it just IF or would RCF/LCF be included?
I don't do this adjusting to swing, I just do it in case i can catch hitters eye and maybe distract.

Pylon #00

Bad Mother****er
I was playing in a tourney this weekend, we were playing 5 man and I was in the middle. Playing off to the pitchers right side, outside pitch, dude shuffles his feet to go the other way so I break to the other side of second. Ump calls dead ball and come out to me and says that im not allowed to move on the pitch while playing middle. He said this was a warning and if I did it again that he would have to eject me from the game. I apologized and said sorry, I did not know that was a rule. He then added thst I can move forward or backward during the pitch, just not side to side.

Is this only a USSSA rule? I mean I do this all the time in ASA and NSA and nobody has ever said that I couldnt.

WHAT??

I have been umpiring USSSA for 20+ years and I have never heard anything like that.

The only thing that even could even be considered here would be....

USSSA 2010 RULE BOOK
RULE 5. THE PLAYERS AND SUBSTITUTES
Sec. 7. NO DEFENSIVE PLAYER
shall take a position in the batter’s line of vision and with deliberate attempt, act unsportsmanslike in any manner in an effort to distract the batter.
EFFECT Sec 7. The umpire shall first warn the offender, and then eject any player from the game who repeats the offense.

But a middle infielder moving on the pitch wouldn't apply here.....

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
WHAT??

I have been umpiring USSSA for 20+ years and I have never heard anything like that.

USSSA 2010 RULE BOOK
shall take a position in the batter’s line of vision and with deliberate attempt, act unsportsmanslike in any manner in an effort to distract the batter.
EFFECT Sec 7. The umpire shall first warn the offender, and then eject any player from the game who repeats the offense.

So, in the OF, moving still considered a distraction?
When I am batting, I am focusing on pitch. I just try to see if they are not doing the same.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
WHAT??

USSSA 2010 RULE BOOK

Hmmm. Cause the pitcher for our team is an umpire as well and he said he has never heard of the rule either but the umpire on the other field agreed with the umpire from our game and reiterated that I could only move forward and back but not side to side.

mazzamouth

<font color="#191970">Punching Judy Swinger</font>
Hmmm. Cause the pitcher for our team is an umpire as well and he said he has never heard of the rule either but the umpire on the other field agreed with the umpire from our game and reiterated that I could only move forward and back but not side to side.

Just as a side note, i would next time talk to the UIC of the tourny and let him know what the guy called so it can be fixed.. there is no rule like this in a USSSA book...

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
WHAT??

USSSA 2010 RULE BOOK

This rule is the only one I could think of when I read the OP. The key to 5.7 is with deliberate attempt. A defender moving his position does not apply.

Mis-application of the rule.