USSSA Never seen this before

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Usssa tournament

Batter hits a ball in the gap, runner goes for 2nd throw comes from the outfielder. SS catches the ball and swipes at the runner holds up the ball like he tagged him. Base Umpire calls the batter runner out. The runner goes crazy screaming he didn’t even come come close to tagging me. The other team asks the base ump to ask for help. The base ump and home plate umpire converse and the call is changed to safe. My coach now goes nuts screaming there is no way the home plate ump who was at home watching the runner from 2nd score have any angle to see the play. I run out to grab my coach and the home plate ump is explaining that he told the base umpire that he had no angle and had no clue if he tagged the runner or not.

The base umpire now comes in and says he changed the call because he thinks there was no tag so he changed his call.

I’ve never seen an umpire pretty much change his own call like this. I’m assuming this cant be protested? Our SS admited that he missed the tag but my question is did the umpire do the right thing here? My guess is the runners reaction and the reaction of our SS after the out call he probably realized he made a mistake. It was the IF game after a long tourney and the umpire pretty much in his car and gone before both teams were done shaking hands. The home plate umpire said he had never seen it before but it wasn’t his call.

Other than not missing the call to begin with what’s the right thing to do in this situation.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Talk to the UIC, that PU shouldn't be working anything more than a one man game if he's going to throw his partner under the bus like that.

Everyone agrees that the correct call was made right? It may have taken the BU a second chance to get it right but in the end the call was right. The correct thing to do would have been for the two of them to get together, discuss what each one saw then the umpire whose call it was signals. That should be the end of it, PU should have kept his mouth shut, only saying that it was the BU's call.

I heard a story at Worlds last year that an umpire made a call, knew he missed it. The offended team asked him to get help, they come together and first thing BU says is "I blew that one." They talked for a minute about where dinner was going to be that night, broke up, BU changed his call and the game went on.