"New" stamp Utrip vs ASA bats: final verdict?

Which best "new" stamp bats are hotter, ASA or Utrip?

• Total voters

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
Absolutely. One has to be higher, meaning the other is lower and bats with their stamp are legal in both.

Freak 30 is the hottest utrip I've swung since my og DC psycho. My ASA wanted was still hotter with the same balls. Noticably, accused of being shaved, mad they didn't have one hotter.

We play gsl up here, and I thought they were close until we played wsl in the middle of the summer. Freak 30 couldn't keep up when the ball wasn't as hard.

my bhose asa is regularly accused of being doctored. with softballs give me asa any day.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I wonder how many people who voted actually play both ASA and Utrip as opposed to those just blindly voted based on the association that play.

It would be interesting to hear someone like LSX Freak point of view who is constantly demo'ing bats[/QUOTE

i think you won't get a real good comparison until this year with the mikens and worths that will be comparable. demarini has been at the top of the ASA game for a few years now, but not so good in USSSA. miken/worth have owned USSSA lately and just ok in ASA. demarinis don't swing like miken/worths.

with miken/worth getting into the non-linear game, you'll be able to compare apples to apples with the platinum/DC-41 and EST lines being similar in how they swing across both stamps.

the best way to do a real comparison now would be to swing the helmer flex or reckoning eastons against each other ASA vs NSA/USSSA

I have an ASA EST XXL and a DC41 ASA coming. I prefer the feel of my Jason Kendrick Senior Miken Platinum but, the EST sure felt (at least handle flex) like a Demarini J3A or RD28. I got the DC41 hoping to get more of a feel of the Senior JK but, now that the EST has been hit (was told it now has a clack sound) it may be to hot nt to use. I am all over the place w bats except to USSSA for me. Kinda sad, would like some of the USSSA pitching, LOL

Where is LSX Freak?

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
motoman125yz sent me a radar. I plan on doing a few tests, this will be included in them. For ASA in Missouri, we can use any 1.20 BPF or ASA stamped bat. There's been a debate for years what is better. I have felt it could go both ways hitting 52's. But hitting 44's or M's it's no comparison. The ASA bats are better. Only exception to that would be a Worth or Miken on the verge of death.

jakeski13

Eat Sleep Conquer Repeat
I have yet to hit a bat that outhits my red knob DC-41 with either 52's, 44/375's or classic M's.

motoman125yz sent me a radar. I plan on doing a few tests, this will be included in them. For ASA in Missouri, we can use any 1.20 BPF or ASA stamped bat. There's been a debate for years what is better. I have felt it could go both ways hitting 52's. But hitting 44's or M's it's no comparison. The ASA bats are better. Only exception to that would be a Worth or Miken on the verge of death.

The new Miken Freak 30 barely passes compression brand new. Almost not worth getting one. 50 swings and it would probably fail.

spartyfaith

Addicted to Softballfans
This came out today at my home park
Use to be ASA and switching to GSL. Thoughts?

As for legal bats, we have gone to the GSL rule (“BPF 1.20”,) but will also be allowing any bat that was legal last year (ASA approved bats and/or bats that have passed our compression test in the past.) This is not a change from the 2017 General Rules that I sent out a week or so ago, but I did want to add a clarification. After doing a bit of research, we have found that the difference between GSL and ASA approved bats is primarily in the method that each organization uses to measure performance – GSL uses a Bat Performance Factor (which measures the strength of rebound on a ball after being struck – max of 1.20,) while ASA measures the Batted Ball Speed (after being struck by the bat – max of 85 mph.) According to the information we found, when comparing the two measurement systems, both have the same maximum “hotness” since a BPF of 1.20 yields, for a standard bat, a maximum initial BBS of 85 mph. To sum it up, the new GSL rule, if enforced, would not result in “hotter” bats allowed in our leagues. Regardless, we will be allowing both GSL-allowed and ASA-allowed bats this year, so it should not be an issue for 2017 at least.

RustyShakleford

GSL uses a Bat Performance Factor (which measures the strength of rebound on a ball after being struck – max of 1.20,) while ASA measures the Batted Ball Speed (after being struck by the bat – max of 85 mph.) According to the information we found, when comparing the two measurement systems, both have the same maximum “hotness” since a BPF of 1.20 yields, for a standard bat, a maximum initial BBS of 85 mph.

Wat8.jpg

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
According to the information we found, when comparing the two measurement systems, both have the same maximum “hotness” since a BPF of 1.20 yields, for a standard bat, a maximum initial BBS of 85 mph. To sum it up, the new GSL rule, if enforced, would not result in “hotter” bats allowed in our leagues. Regardless, we will be allowing both GSL-allowed and ASA-allowed bats this year, so it should not be an issue for 2017 at least.

Don't they use different balls for testing though, which means they are not the same? For example, using classic Ms with ASA bats could result in higher BBS than 85 mph.

spartyfaith

Addicted to Softballfans
They were catching flack from a few and have decided to go with the 52 300 ball.
For Saturday tournies they will use the GSL ball

warningtrack24

Extra Hitter
Well, id like to say ASA for .52 but until i see someone beat the 116mph Mken DC41 video with a ASA bat, id have to say that is the fastest BBS ive seen recorded by any bat nerd or attention whore.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
yeah but dude was a donkey and also hitting a freak black 112-113 (good bat mind you but not one of the top i believe). and the thing was reading pitches coming in at 35mph which doesn't seem right at all. at a longer distance you could have 30 mph slow pitch speeds but unless you are pitching super flat, 20-25mph seems about the right pitch speed. i could be waaayyy off base though.

warningtrack24

Extra Hitter
Even Patriot Super Bowls are questioned.

Here's what I know-
That guy is mashing that softball. He could be swinging a shaved stick. He could be juiced. He could be using a faulty gun.

ASA bats are restricted to 98mph at average swing speed.

But I wont question is that ball not moving over 110mph.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cheap guns are notoriously inaccurate. I just wanted to see it because I was curious.

Last edited:

johnstella

Addicted to Softballfans
Ryan Harvey posted a video on IG of him hitting the 2017 Worth Purcell/Dedonatis and they clocked his exit speed at 120mph...

BigDawgz

Extra Hitter
Harvey and KP both hit balls out with wood bats. when you have power and are able to cut the ball like them, the balls will fly with whatever bat you use.

BigDawgz

Extra Hitter
Anyway we can get a podcast with discussion on this and video proof with the radar you've got with the mix of evil BP balls you've got? that would be an awesome little experiment.

itheshow

Addicted to Softballfans
Temperatures have a lot to do with what I like to swing, aftermaths for 75+ and miken black or fallen for under 75.

hitsone

Subjects like this make me glad I'm only a little old guy that hits singles. Irritates that I have to have different stamped bats for each of the leagues I play in.