Other NFHS rule, pitching circle

beachcrab7501

question regarding base running the the pitching circle. Once the ball gets back to the pitcher and she's in the circle, the ball is dead. But what happens if there are runners on 1st and 2nd, ball is pitched and both runners both get healthy lead offs (half way to next base) and just stand there trying to confuse the defense and force them to make a bad choice, but instead just gets it back to the pitcher and she's in the circle, do the runners have to go back or can they still advance? I am trying to find the answer in the rule book, but can't seem to find it. My guess is they have to go back, but wanting someone else's opinion.

Thanks.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
question regarding base running the the pitching circle. Once the ball gets back to the pitcher and she's in the circle, the ball is dead.

No, the ball isn't dead just because the pitcher has the ball in the circle. It's still live.

But what happens if there are runners on 1st and 2nd, ball is pitched and both runners both get healthy lead offs (half way to next base) and just stand there trying to confuse the defense and force them to make a bad choice, but instead just gets it back to the pitcher and she's in the circle, do the runners have to go back or can they still advance?

When the pitcher finally gets the ball back, in the circle, the Look Back Rule goes into effect. At that point, the runners must immediately either advance directly to the next base or retreat to the previous one. If they stand in one spot not moving, they are out. If they stop a second time, they are out. If they reverse direction a second time, they are out.

If the pitcher makes a play, or even fakes one, then the Look Back rule is temporarily suspended.

I am trying to find the answer in the rule book, but can't seem to find it.QUOTE]

As noted, it's called the Look Back Rule. No rule book handy right now, but I believe the high school/NFHS rule is 8-7.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Nothing about the Look Back Rule or the pitcher having the ball in the circle or on the rubber automatically makes the ball dead.

Assuming that the umpire doesn't call time for some reason, or something else happens to make the ball dead by some other rule, it's live in these situations. In fact, the Look Back rule is in effect ONLY when the ball is live!