NFHS Softball Rules Changes - 2018

sprtfan

Addicted to Softballfans
6-1-2b: The pitcher may now step back with the non-pivot foot at any time prior to the start of the pitch. Rationale: This is a change to assist the developing pitcher.

I saw this rule change and was looking for some clarification. Does this mean that the non-pivot foot no longer needs to be in contact with the rubber? or is the step back limited to a distance that will maintain contact? If contact is not needed, do they only need one foot on the rubber before starting their motion? Thanks

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
to me, they need to start with both feet touching the rubber and NOW they can step back with the non-pivot foot. Before they could only lean back on the non-pivot now the can actually step back.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
High school, the non pivot (stride) foot does not need to be in contact with the pitcher's plate before or during the delivery. Only the pivot foot. The rule change means that the pitcher can take a step backwards now, prior the hands separating for the start of the pitch. (think of it like a baseball pitcher making his step back/to the side at the beginning of his wind up.

sprtfan

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the info. I'm coaching a 12u team and wanted to make sure what was legal. Seems like an odd change. I believe in college you still need to have both feet on the rubber? That means a high school pitcher may need to change their delivery if they are able to go to the next level.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The rule change wasn't to allow the step back itself. They could always do that in NFHS. It was allow the step back after joining the hands. Previously, the step back had to be either before or simultaneous with the hands coming together.

I think that NFHS is the only one that still allows the step back (for girls that is. Some allow it for men's fastpitch). It used to be that they all did. It was eliminated back about 30 years ago, with the perception being that it gave the pitcher too big of an advantage and that the game was becoming too pitching dominated. ASA eliminated the step back and other's eventually followed. But NFHS (apparently on the assumption that the pitcher's might be less skilled and need any advantage they could get) kept it in their rules.

sprtfan

Addicted to Softballfans
The rule change wasn't to allow the step back itself. They could always do that in NFHS. It was allow the step back after joining the hands. Previously, the step back had to be either before or simultaneous with the hands coming together.

I think that NFHS is the only one that still allows the step back (for girls that is. Some allow it for men's fastpitch). It used to be that they all did. It was eliminated back about 30 years ago, with the perception being that it gave the pitcher too big of an advantage and that the game was becoming too pitching dominated. ASA eliminated the step back and other's eventually followed. But NFHS (apparently on the assumption that the pitcher's might be less skilled and need any advantage they could get) kept it in their rules.

Just to make sure I understand still, would this mean they need to start with both feet on the rubber and then step back or they can just start with their foot behind the rubber? Thanks