No force out score

Runfreems

If a player scores and then the third out happens on a no force out is the score kept or considered not a score??

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Unpacking what you want to know here...

If the third out is on a force (batter-runner being retired, or any other forced runner being retired prior to advancing to the base they were forced to), then no runs score on that play.

On any third out that's not a force scoring is based on the timing of the out. If the run scores before the third out, then count it. If the out occurs before the run crosses the plate then don't count it.

And remember that a runner being "doubled off" for leaving too early on a caught fly ball is not a force.

You didn't specify which ruleset, but for reference, USA softball rule 5.5.B and USSSA Slowpitch rule 4.6.

Bengalfan

Addicted to Softballfans
Unpacking what you want to know here...

If the third out is on a force (batter-runner being retired, or any other forced runner being retired prior to advancing to the base they were forced to), then no runs score on that play.

On any third out that's not a force scoring is based on the timing of the out. If the run scores before the third out, then count it. If the out occurs before the run crosses the plate then don't count it.

And remember that a runner being "doubled off" for leaving too early on a caught fly ball is not a force.

You didn't specify which ruleset, but for reference, USA softball rule 5.5.B and USSSA Slowpitch rule 4.6.
In your last sentence, "a runner being doubled off for leaving early", if that runner leaves early from 3rd and scores but after appeal is called out for leaving early or not tagging up, does that run still count. For some reason I think we had this occur years ago and thought the run counted which I couldn`t understand.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
In your last sentence, "a runner being doubled off for leaving early", if that runner leaves early from 3rd and scores but after appeal is called out for leaving early or not tagging up, does that run still count. For some reason I think we had this occur years ago and thought the run counted which I couldn`t understand.
No, that run would not count as the runner was called out. What Eddie was talking about is if you have two runners on, say first and third. The runner from third tags up and scores legally, but the runner at first leaves early. The appeal at first for leaving early is not a force out and the run scored from third would still count.

Bengalfan

Addicted to Softballfans
No, that run would not count as the runner was called out. What Eddie was talking about is if you have two runners on, say first and third. The runner from third tags up and scores legally, but the runner at first leaves early. The appeal at first for leaving early is not a force out and the run scored from third would still count.
That may have been the similar situation we had also. Thank you for the reply.