Nokona Timeline

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I keep reading about Nokona going through a rough patch with poorly made gloves. Anyone have any idea when this took place and if they are back up to snuff yet?

I have an AMG650W and a SBM100W, think they are both great quality gloves. They are different from my A2000 (made in Japan) and my HOH's (made in USA) but I don't feel they are inferior in any way.

I did see a post from a seemingly knowledgeable glove guy that the USA flag Nokona's were the better of the newer gloves but would like to know more.

MNCFer

Mr. Glass
Rous is the man you want to talk to...the BM-76 I had earlier this summer was top notch, just wasn't going to get use with all the gloves I had at the time.

Gators21

Manager
From last fall on another glove board:

Hi All,

My name is Chris Miller, and I am an employee for Cutters/Nokona. As a company, we are excited about the recent acquisition of Nokona and it is great to see the passion that all of you have for Nokona and for fielders gloves in general. I wanted to reach out to you to address the goals and direction of Nokona moving forward. I would also like to begin an open dialog with all of you so that I am able to hear your comments, suggestions, etc.

As many of you know, Nokona gloves have historically been produced in Nocona, TX. In recent years, some of our gloves were produced in Worcester, MA. In the months following the acquisition of Nokona by Cutters, it became apparent that some of the gloves produced in Massachusetts did not meet the craftsmanship and quality standards that Nokona is known for. As a result, new company President Jeff Beraznik made the decision to move all production back to Nocona, Texas, so that we can ensure that each glove produced is top-quality.

We are looking forward to continuing to produce top-quality, American-made gloves. We are also looking forward to the continual process of evaluating the needs of baseball and softball players, constantly evaluating our products, and striving to be the best glove on the field.

I am happy to answer any questions that you may have through this forum. I can also be reached directly at [email protected]. If you are interested in taking a look at the 2011 Nokona catalog, a link can be found at the bottom of our website, http://www.nokona.com. We hope to have the new Nokona website up and running by the end of the year.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Chris

But see this:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2012/06/26/shock-doctor-buys-cutters-gloves.html

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The Nocona made gloves were always good. Nokona entered a partnership with a group from Boston (Fenway Group, I think) and they expanded production to a factory in Worcester, MA (mostly fastpitch softball gloves and lower end gloves) and overseas (model numbers NOT starting with AMG -- although the AMG was dropped from all gloves in 2011). These gloves were all made between 2007 and 2009. I think the softball pattern AMG175, AMG600, AMG650, AMG700, and AMG400 gloves were all always made in Nocona (or, at least I have not seen one that looks like it was made poorly).

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't think the AMG=American Made Glove rule applies to 1b mitts or even catcher's mitts. I think all the SMB100's ever made were made in Nocona and the same may be true of the N80. At the jbg . com site, the video shows an N80 made in Nocona, but the pics do not have the American flag patch, but the description says they were made in Nocona. You could call them and find out.